The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Today's TOTD: Grand Prix breeches--how do they fit?

These look quite nice, but I'm hesitant to buy from TOTD when I am not absolutely positive they are going to fit me.

http://www.tackoftheday.com/ProductD...12%2D21%2Dgran

Any insight? I fit a 32 FITS Beka breech perfectly. I'm long-waisted and have legs that are exactly in between regular and petite length.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I'm also long-waisted but have longer legs than you. This style of Grand Prix doesn't fit me at all. I would say they fit similarly to the TS Trophy Hunter, which also fits me terribly, and the low-rise Ariat breeches (like Brittany, etc), and Equine Couture (the Baker style). All of these models gape badly in the back on me and are too low in the rise.

I can tell pretty reliably now that if a breech has that low rise, and the thicker waistband style like these, that they are not going to fit me.

In comparison, I fit well in the 30L TS breech (or any other TS except the Trophy Hunter), Ariat Pro Circuit, and Kerrits Cross-Over and winter breeches.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

I have a pair I wore pre-baby last year and they fit me very well then, and now I can still squeeze into them for schooling even though they are 30s and I went up to 32s. I disagree about them being too low cut, as I did not find that was a problem. They fit me then very similarly to how my mid-rise TS Trophy Hunter front zips fit me now (in a larger size), perhaps just a bit more "stretch" to the GP fabric (hence why I can still sqeeze into them!). I do have a long leg though, so I would normally do a long if they offered it, can't remember in this case. I am a fan of the wide waistband/front zip/euroseat though because it's flattering on me.

Oh wait, the Hampton's are the side zips, my bad! I have the front zip which must have a different name. At this price I might still get a pair of side-zips myself!

I personally LOVE them, and wish I had some extra $$$ to spend on them. they're great for curvier girls IMHO.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Omg... had these in HS (same brand anyway) and they were my absolute favorites! Trying hard not to buy them!

Quote Originally Posted by SolarFlare View Post
    I'm also long-waisted but have longer legs than you. This style of Grand Prix doesn't fit me at all. I would say they fit similarly to the TS Trophy Hunter, which also fits me terribly, and the low-rise Ariat breeches (like Brittany, etc), and Equine Couture (the Baker style). All of these models gape badly in the back on me and are too low in the rise.

I can tell pretty reliably now that if a breech has that low rise, and the thicker waistband style like these, that they are not going to fit me.

In comparison, I fit well in the 30L TS breech (or any other TS except the Trophy Hunter), Ariat Pro Circuit, and Kerrits Cross-Over and winter breeches.
    You just saved me 60-odd bucks. Thanks!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

The Carly style fits a bit different I think. I got a pair a few weeks ago and love them. They are a wide waistband but not very low rise. They also do not have super tight calves or thighs (which is why I couldn't get into Equine Couture or TS breeches).

What doesn't make sense is the big picture of the Navy shows a plain rear, whereas the "blue moon" close up shows a euro seat and tiny rear pockets that are cute.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I am short waisted. Grand Prix breeches fit me better than Ariat Breeches do in the waist and leave a nice amount of room in the crotch region (almost a little too much). I'm 5'5 though and their regular length breeches fit more like capris on me so I have to wear longs (it's the same with Tailored Sportsman). I don't know how they'd fit long waisted people.

What's the material like?

I wouldnt waste my money on them. I have a pair and they are super comfy but fell apart after just a few rides(bottoms unraveled, inner crotch seam frayed). I emailed GP and posted on their FB page but never got a response.

Other brands hold up better.
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"