The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse of a lifetime and a Christmas Miracle

I know this has been discussed before, but I just had the best Christmas surprise of my life.

Two years ago, I got my horse of a lifetime, or my "heart horse." He pulled me through the worst times of my life and was beside me at the best.

I'm a journalism student and I wrote an article about him here: http://lisamayor.wordpress.com/

I had to send Cash away as I was going away for school. It was the hardest decision of my life and the night he left was the worst day I've ever had.

If you scroll to the bottom of the article, there's a video that shows my Christmas surprise; Cash was brought back to me and I had no idea it was going to happen. I thought I'd never see him again.

I'd love to hear some more stories about people's horses of a lifetime and I hope you enjoy reading mine!

5 members found this post helpful.

That is awesome! Hope he brings you much happiness in the future.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

such a nice story!! i wish you both so much happiness!!

Very nice story. I was a little teary eyed watching the video.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Oh god... what a great surprise

Sadly, I lost my heart horse to colic just days after getting laid off in November. I loved him and miss him terribly.

My friends have been generous in sharing their horses with me, but riding other people's horse's just isn't the same as having one of your own to bond with.

This morning I woke up to a text from my best friend to call her.

So I did... My friend's significant other was my gelding's farrier. He asked how I was doing since losing my guy... and my friend told him....

Well, he has a 17hh+ 5yo gelding who is greenbroke but he doesn't have time to finish with all the shoeing clients he has... and they have people wanting to bring horses in for training. So... I got an early christmas surprise..... I am soon to be the proud owner of a 17hh flaxen son of Catalyst (ASB). He won't replace Andy. Nobody ever will... but I'm just totally awestruck by the generosity of my friends.

7 members found this post helpful.

Blairasb, that is awesome! What a great surprise!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Yeah... My friend gets bonus points for being the first person to EVER get me to cry out of happiness... I've been at it all day. LOL

I'm trying to line up a barn for him now. I can't wait to meet him. Left a message at the one barn. Trying to refrain from calling them nonstop right now.... LOL If I can find someplace for him to go, I can have him as soon as tomorrow...

I am excited to have him and if he's like they say he is... I am going to have a GOOD horse on my hands. I'm hoping that he'll be a horse I can finish up and then let my mom ride and show a little , use in a few years to start teaching my niece to ride, etc...

A boarding barn has been found for my new boy. So... today at 4:45... I meet my new guy. Needless to say, I did NOT sleep a WINK last night. I can't believe they are giving this horse to me.

Now I have to go about outfitting him. I was considering taking in a long yearling filly but that kind of fell through... I was worried that the exhaustive wardrobe I've collected with my first two horses was going to be too big. Apparently NOT a problem. Quite the opposite. My Lilly and my Andy wore 78's. This guy? 82 to 84. LOL And I definitely have to sell my trailer now as there's no way he'll fit it.

He's going by "Chester" right now which I don't love... Haven't settled on a barn name yet... Kind of thinking "Stewie" but... I'm going to let him tell me.
    His show name is going to be "Last Cookie", I think... after this meme: http://iwastesomuchtime.com/on/?i=50534

3 members found this post helpful.