The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by beachpony View Post
    Kookycat,

They don't sell them in the U.S. :-(

Thanks,

Joanne
    Oh, I know. Just thought I'd weigh in on Toyotas in general.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

1 members found this post helpful.

Beachpony
    I second the "stomp on the gas" experience. And, yes, you will need a step on this baby. Should have listened to my husband; now I grab the handle on the frame and haul myself up.

Has anyone seen the episode from Top Gear where they try to kill an older Toyota Hilux?

They drive it down stone stairs, catch it on stone walls (in Bristol), run it into a tree, park it by the Seven Estuary and let the tide completely cover it (the tide actually break the ropes they used to tie it down) - they find it and after getting the silt and water out and some mechanic work (no spare parts) it's running again, run it through a wooden...building, drop a smallish camper trailer on it, let a wrecking ball bounce around on it, and then proceed to set fire to it. The only thing they replaced was the windshield and it still runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk

2 members found this post helpful.

Thank you Gestalt!

Did you tow the 3 horse a lot with the 2008? Since new? What about hills? Plenty of power?

Thank you so much!

Joanne
    I did tow a lot w/the 2008. The difference between the '08 and the '12 that I noticed is the suspension. We get high winds here and with 3 horses the '08 seemed to develop trailer sway if I was over 55mph. This is with a gooseneck. Some people don't believe me, but the '12 feels solid in wind with the trailer fully loaded.

Semp, that video is crazy!!!!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Is the 4.7l engine enough power to tow a 2 horse trailer? I've been looking at the Tundra for a while but have only been considering the 5.7.

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    Is the 4.7l engine enough power to tow a 2 horse trailer? I've been looking at the Tundra for a while but have only been considering the 5.7.
    That would depend on what kind of terrain you're driving in. If you live in a mountainous region, then I would go for the 5.7 litre. I own a 2007 4.7 litre and it pulls my 2007 Hawk trailer, with dressing room, fully loaded with equipment and a big Thoroughbred and a fat Quarter Horse just fine. However, I live in Florida which is all flat.

As to the longevity of Toyota, I get them at dealer cost so I have had just about every model they manufacture. I've had a Rav 4, Tacoma, Highlander, Tundra, 4 Runner and a Venza. I have only done routine maintenance on any of them and with the exception of the Venza they've all hit over at least 65K miles, some of them 100k.

We had two Tundras and hubby was convinced we didn't need two so he sold his to a horse friend at our barn who pulls her horse trailer and her boat with no issue. It had close to 70k on it when we sold it to her and to my knowledge has not given her any problems. She had a Ford F150 prior to that that had a little more mileage but was costing her a lot of money in repairs.

As far as the bent frame, if this were a widespread issue I would have heard about that through work. You would be amazed at the stupid shit people do against manufacturer recommendations. Case in point, I know of a few people towing a horse trailer with an FJ cruiser and a Tacoma. Knock wood there have never been any problems, but I wouldn't do it.

I've owned both Ford and Dodge vehicles and got nickel and dimed to death once they hit the 60k mile mark. My Toyotas? NOT ONE SINGLE THING (other than a $100 O2 sensor on the Rav 4 when I traded it in, had 100K miles on it). Literally I've done oil changes and replaced a battery or two, that's it.

My BO drives a GMC and has put that truck through the ringer as much hauling as she's done with horse shows and such, and it's still going strong. I've never had any experience with GMC's personally, but hers does seem like it can take a licking.

I love Toyota cuz I'm a major bia when i'm broken down on the side of the road....
    She who cares the least wins.....

Thanks! I agree with you on GM trucks...my Chevy is 17 years old and I never had to put money into it until this last year. Most of what has gone wrong now has come from issues of living in the snow belt for a long time. The engine is still going strong!

I've been looking at the Tundras for a while now though and have decided that is my next truck. The fact that they hold their value so well is wonderful, except that makes them hard to find used at a cheap price!

From a fellow Joanne we have a 2010 that I love. I did manage to scare both my husband and the salesman with my acceleration and brake tests. I haul a 2 horse older BP and it faults fabulously - feels like there's nothing back there really. The only time the instant MPG really drops is when I'm starting on an incline at a stop sign... There's one we have to do to get out of our neighborhood.

My husband uses it as his daily driver and loves it as much as I do. Two thumbs up.

Talking

Thank again EVERYBODY! You've all helped soooo much! I'm test driving a 2010 tomorrow... Yipeeeeee! I'll be thinking about the "pedal to the metal" stories posted here when I take it for a spin! ;-)

Thank youuuuuu!

Joanne :-)

Wink

Just drove home the 2010 Tundra! Woo-hoo! OMG, it has SO much power!!!

Thank you again EVERYBODY!!!

I also have a V8 5.7L Tundra with a tow package - bought it slightly used 3 years ago and its been great. I tow a Featherlite SL 2H GN all aluminum trailer with it -- usually just one horse. The truck handles the tralier fine -- and that's up and down hills in Western NY and PA. And we haul to Florida and back -- don't take the horses (they go commercial) but we do use the trailer as a "moving van" with a fair amount of stuff and the truck does fine through the mountains. All that being said, the limiting factor of the truck with a GN is the payload and if I hauled my two horses together alot (a Friesian and 16.3H Hanoverian) I'd probably step up to a 3/4 ton truck but would miss the reliability of my Tundra.

Quote Originally Posted by OldNag View Post
    I know I'm partial, but Toyota has always been known for it's longevity. Most of my friends driving Fords start having problems after about 60k miles or so.
    I can't stop myself. This is just silly -- one of the biggest pieces of longevity is MAINTENANCE and how you drive the vehicle. I've owned four different Ford models, drive the F250 now; they all had a heck of a lot more miles than that. The only one I EVER had issues with was one that had been wrecked, flooded and poorly maintained before I got it.

Of course, I'm a person who thinks that buying a brand new vehicle is just about the worst investment you can make. I bought an 8 year old one and 50K miles later, it hasn't even had a hiccup. Of course, it's the 7.3L Ford diesel and has been maintained immaculately, so it's got about another 30 years left in it, LOL.

Glad the OP is happy with your vehicle purchase. I hope it serves you well for a long time.

Just drove home the 2010 Tundra! Woo-hoo! OMG, it has SO much power!!!

Thank you again EVERYBODY!!!

You will love it I tow with my 2010 Tundra 5.7l and lovvvvve it. Barely know my trailer is back there, seriously. Congrats!
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Love hearing all of your stories about towing up hills. I've been towing my ONE horse (just bought the second one recently) with a V8 Ford Explorer for the last 13 years. Before you GASP, I knew not to "push it". Just stayed locally on little surface streets and NO hills. Been very limited! Couldn't wait to take my new Tundra for a drive this morning (without a trailer) up the big steep hill right behind where I live where there's a beautiful preserve with MILES of trails. I've never been able to trailer up to the staging area. So frustrating as my home has a view of it! The Tundra just flew up that hill this morning like nothing! I'll be getting my trailer brake wiring done next week and be ready to hit the road!

Thank you all for the zillionth time!

Joanne. :-)

P.S. Anyone know how to post a pic here? Damned if I can figure out how to do that!

LOL, well my first tow vehicle was an S10 Jimmy with a V6 engine. I lived in a flat area and only towed locally and it did just fine. I wouldn't go back to it though.
    To post a picture, you need to be a premium member. You can post a link to a picture on another site. I would love to see the new Tundra!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Here "she" is!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1159092...63108605316114

I've named her "Merle" as in Blue Merle... white, grey (interior), and black (tires, etc.) because I have two blue merle Austrailan Shepherds... perfect match! ;-)

The matching Aussies:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1159092...65580666897490

Beautiful! If you ever get tired of her, send her my way. I have a blue merle border collie so she would fit in perfectly.

Caryledee:

Don't think I'll EVER part with Merle, but now you know that there's a perfect matching truck for our dogs! ;-)

Thanks for the tip on posting a pic.

That is an awesome truck!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Totally agree with the negatives on Fords.... My hubby takes GREAT care of his trucks, I'm still driving his old 1992 Dodge dually, and his 2002 ford dually still looks new but gives us nothing but trouble. Have gotten recall letters on all our Ford vehicles for various issues (usually years after having to hunt them down and fix them).

Jennifer