The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Truck Shopping. Anyone Here Tow With a Toyota Tundra V8 5.7?

Been going round and round with this. Ford or GMC or Chevy or Toyota or ??? My head is spinning! Just looking for the most reliable truck to tow my 2 horse aluminum straight load. Just towing locally mostly. A couple thousand miles a year at best. Combined weight of my trailer with the horses is approx. 5,000 to 5,500 lbs. Toyotas have such a wonderful reputation for being reliable, but is it enough truck for the job?

I'd love to hear some first hand feedback from those of you that have one or know of friends that have one.

Thanks!

Joanne

I can't comment on the Tundra but I have a Hilux and I adore it. It tows like a dream and -touch wood- I'd never had a problem with it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

1 members found this post helpful.

Kookycat,

They don't sell them in the U.S. :-(

Thanks,

Joanne

I have that model equipped with the heavy duty towing package. I pull a 2 horse bumper pull Featherlite designed for warmbloods with tack room. I don't have any problems accelerating when necessary for getting on expressway from a short ramp with it fully loaded. Haven't tried Vail Pass with it, so can't comment on that. It has been very reliable, and has totally converted me to trucks as my ride of choice. And the royal blue is quite eye catching if you are in the market for a significant other. P.S. I have the 2007 model.
    Last edited by GrayCatFarm; Dec. 22, 2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Added age of truck for reliability testament
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

Thanks Greycatfarm!

Sounds great. Just curious, how long have you had it and been towing with it?

I'll be getting a two horse Exiss with a tack room next year. Very comparable to yours. Weighs about 2,900 lbs.

Thanks again!

Joanne

I drive a 2007 4.7 litre and pull a steel frame with aluminum skin horse trailer. It has a dressing room and weighs 3200l lbs. empty. Now I live in Florida and it's completely flat, but I've never had any issues pulling with my Tundra. Now for fairness, my job is strongly connected to the Toyota product, but this also gives me the inside scoop from a mechanical standpoint. Toyota grossly under states the towing capacity of these vehicles. The reason they do this is that someone is always going to push the envelope and pull more than is stated in the documentation for a particular vehicle. That being said, the 5.7 litre is more than sufficient to pull an aluminum, two horse straight load. A coworker pulls her aluminum, straight load with a Toyota FJ Cruiser and has no issues (although I wouldn't recommend this).

I know I'm partial, but Toyota has always been known for it's longevity. Most of my friends driving Fords start having problems after about 60k miles or so. My BO drives a GMC which, to my knowledge, hasn't given her any problems and that truck has hauled many times to horse shows.
    Have fun shopping for a new Truck!
    She who cares the least wins.....

Thank you OldNag!

Great info! Thanks for sharing the "inside scoop"!

I'd been pretty much considering the Ford F250 (used) until I met a woman at the feed store last week with her new Tundra 5.7. She told me she tows her 3 horse slant load no problem, but she's only had the truck for a month or so, so I was wondering about the longetevity of a Tundra towing on a regular basis. I also read on a forum that the Toyota Tundra frame could get bent? Yikes! He may had been referring to towing with a goosneck.

Back to the Ford trucks, your comment about problems after 60k miles or so was my concern exactly. They are SO expensive new that I would be buying used (and still have to spend close to 30k)! Spending that much with knowing there would be a good likelihood of problems in the near future just doesn't seem very wise!

I know Toyota cars have a great reputation (I have a Lexus... just a fancy Toyota). So great to hear about their trucks!

Have any feedback about the longevity towing and also about their frames?

Thank youuuuuu!

Joanne :-)

I have a 2012 now, had a 2008 Tundra. Tow a 3-horse slant load Sooner with no problems on either pickup. Don't know about longevity, but I love, love, love my Tundra!!!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Thank you Gestalt!

Did you tow the 3 horse a lot with the 2008? Since new? What about hills? Plenty of power?

Thank you so much!

Joanne

Bought it new in 2007, so 5 yrs of experience. Love the fact that it lets you know when tire pressure is low. Very powerful, comfortable ride. Have had no problems with the frame. Have hauled through mud, snow and torrential rain with it. Ability to switch to 4WD high or low has been useful several times including hauling up an icy hill.
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

I bought a 1999 F250 in 2006 for $10,600, so you can spend less than $30,000 and still get a great truck. FYI, my F250 came with 102,000 miles, it now has 131,000, and I am nervous to jinx it, but it has been very reliable.

I have a 2002 Toyota Tundra and haul a 2 horse Featherlite bumper pull with dressing room. Hauled everywhere and never had any issues. As long as your electric break control is set properly you should be fine.

My gf had the 1/4 ton Toyota, I can't remember the name of it tho, it was a V6, and hauled her loaded two horse trailer like a dream! A little harder on gas when hauling but great for city trips because it was smaller, but could only fit 20+ bales. She actually got in a head on collision doing 80km/hour into a big dodge diesel dually, and literally walked out of her truck, took the impact like a champ and wrote off both trucks. Great safety rating. She then bought the full size toyota truck V8, and hauls great as well. But it is a gas guzzler!

GM's are great as well, diesel has way more torque, but are a more expensive truck.

Good luck shopping! I am jealous! We has a 2500 diesel GM Sierra and love it for hauling everything, downside, it is a shortbox.

GreyCatFarm:
    Thank you so much for sharing your Tundra towing "history"! Sounds GREAT!

IFG:
    Thanks for the info. Seems the used F250's for sale in So. Cal are pretty pricey. Anything decent ranges from $30k to 40k! Really want something with pretty low miles on it.

PonyPenny:
    Thank you! :-)

Miss J:
    Wow! That's great to know how safe they are! Thank you!

We have that model Toyota. It's very good. We pull a 2H Hawk BP with dressing room, and no trouble even when the horses are BIG. We had the older one with the 4.5 liter (I think) engine but it didn't have 4WD... husband bought it before I had a horse or a horse trailer. So one night I got home from work and he said, "Come over to the dealership with me; I think I'm going to upgrade the truck." And he did...

The most amusing thing was at the very very end, the price was settled, the dealership was closed, it was time to go, and I said "It needs a step." I am 5'2" if I stretch and the 5.7 liter is a big truck. The salesguy started to hem and haw and talk about charging for it, and my husband and I just stared at him, and then I started to get up to leave, and he finally says, "OK, the little lady wants a step, she'll get one. No charge." Not that I liked being referred to as a "little lady" but...
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quietann:
    Thanks! Looks like the Tundra is more than what I'll need, which is exactly what you want when towing horses.

Geeze, nice husband! I'm barely 5'3" (on a tall day) ;-). Good to know about adding a step (cute story)!

Thanks again!

Joanne. :-)

I have since down sized after I sold my trailer but I towed with a V8 5.7L Tundra. LOVED IT. Handled my 3 horse Eby slant with ease, even with 2 horses and ALL their stuff when I hauled them 14 hours to TN. Turk rides great, has awesome turning radius for its size, and enough power for most any 3 horse or stock. If I ever get another rig I will be hauling with a Tundra. It did awesome in all weather and conditions. I even hauled to lessons all winter in western NY and NEVER had an issue.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

Should add I lived up a VERY steep hill and the truck never had any issues hauling up it with the trailer. I also hauled up some big steep hills to trail ride. The best part of the Tundra test drive is to find a nice straight stretch, put your head against the head rest, and stomp the gas. You will bounce your head off the head rest. I screamed Holy Sh!t and the sales assistant laughed. She said everyone says that. . Plenty of power for sure. I also averaged 18mph in own without trailer and 14 with the trailer. Oh the highway on long trups I would average 22. Weird thing is he truck got better mileage with 1000-2000 pounds in the bed. I also used to haul 2 tons of bagged mineral at a time on occasion for work. It didn't love the second ton in the bed but wouldn't even flinch with one pallet (2000 lbs) in the bed.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

PalominoMorgan:

Thank youuuu! :-). Really happy to hear about how it handles on hills! I'll remember what you said when you were test driving the truck, maybe give my salesperson a little "thrill ride"! Lol!

Thanks again!

Joanne :-)