The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I've bought and sold quite a bit off CL. We live h*llandgone in the country so I say I'm going to be in town on a certain day and will be happy to meet up in front of Micheals Craft store. The grocery store is in the same shopping center so if someone doesn't show up (everyone has so far), no biggie.

There are a lot of new FB horse pages which you haven buy, sell and swap. Some are local to me and some seem to be nationwide.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

I've bought and sold via Craiglist- including selling a horse, a round pen and some blankets and buying a hay feeder, some water troughs, my run in shed and a horse.
    I always deal in cash whether I am buying or selling. I also try to do the meet in a public place thing (unless that obviously won't work- like with a horse, then I make sure DH is outside with me when they show up)
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I've sold a carriage and a trailer on CL. I have met some very nice people in the process.
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Bought a horse off CL

Need to list some saddles there...

Bought my horse from CL - he's turned out great. The guy selling him was a local trainer, we had mutual friends, I think he checked me out before I looked at the horse a second time. I paid with a check, no problem.

I'm thinking of listing a trail riding saddle because I have gotten exactly zero hits from tacktrader.com. Figure CL has to be better than that. My sons have bought and sold cars and car parts, music equipment, and who knows what else. My trainer furnished almost her whole house from CL with really nice stuff. No one has ever had a problem, but we follow the same guidelines others have mentioned.

Just bought a butet from someone on Craigslist - it came from the state of Washington all the way to me in NY. It's beautiful! I paid via paypal. Didn't help I could sort of stalk her facebook before to make sure she was a real person and she was willing to ship it. I figured I'd just open a dispute up if it didn't work out.

I haven't bought anything, but I do look at saddles and other tack from time to time. My father has bought several things including a computer and furniture.

I would only ever meet in a public place. If I were selling something I would only accept cash and as a buyer I expect that I will pay with cash.

I've sold 3 saddles, a big box of assorted horse junk, my moms car and our old truck on craigslist. We also bought a truck off craigslist. So far, no encounters with weirdos.

Found my apartment on Craigslist, sold and purchased numerous pieces of furniture, sold an iPhone, among many other things... No weirdos, nice people. Cash only in the past, although I do now have a Square credit card reader (https://squareup.com/).

Default LOVE Craig's List!

When I made the decision to become a re-rider, I found an awesome event/dressage trainer via Craig's List.

I have bought multiple saddles and assorted tack-always went to the seller's home but felt comfortable from our correspondence prior to meeting.

I got a wonderful deal on a like-new matched set of bridle and boot bags in my colors (yeah me!) from a super nice lady who hadn't ridden in years and was cleaning out her closets--met in a bank parking lot and "talked horses" for at least 30 minutes even though I had never met her before.

I found my dream car from a private seller via a CL ad.

Payment has always been in cash except for my car which was financed through the bank. I've never even considered paying via check--can't imagine too many sellers would be keen on accepting that.

I'm constantly scoping out horse related ads on there though I've bought more on there than I've sold. I do like to use the "Free" section when I'm cleaning house and find some useful items that I just want gone. I've usually just left them on the porch or the curb but have been known to meet in a store parking lot to deliver the goods.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    I've bought and sold a few things on Craigslist. All non-horse related. I met in a public place during a busy time and exchanged the item for cash. I would never consider a check.
    This is what I do. Or, if I have to go to somebodys farm (like when I bought my horse trailer) I tell a friend where I'm going and to call the cops if I don't touch base with them by a certain time.

I have bought many horse and non-horse related items off craigslist. Love it!

I've had incredibly good luck with CraigsList. I bought my current saddle for a STEAL from a person on CL. It was local, so I met her at her barn, picked up the saddle, gave her cash, and I had a couple days to try it with the option of bringing it back. It turned out to be perfect for me and my horse!

After that, I took a chance and listed my old saddle. Within a couple days, I had a legitimate email (there were a few scammers I had to weed through) of a woman who was interested. She was out of state, gave me her number, we talked and agreed to use PayPal. For some reason, that did not work out, so she sent me a check knowing that I would wait for it to clear before shipping. It did, I shipped the saddle, everyone was happy!!

Not HR, but I've also sold a TV and 2 motorcycles. All of my transactions have been very smooth!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

i check CL every single day for cheap saddles or free horses, etc..not always for myself, sometimes i have friends looking for horses, etc..sometimes you can find a great deal. don't be afraid of CL.

I bought one of my dogs for a de minimis rehoming fee off Craigslist, got my current attorney job by answering an ad on Craigslist, have some lesson students who posted on Craigslist looking for an instructor, and have found two rooms to rent off Craigslist when I moved to TX knowing no one and with no place to live.

I haven't bought any physical items but that is probably because I am a minimalist who never buys anything anyway. I am tempted to look for a piano that someone might be giving away to anyone who can haul it out.

So I've had good luck and am quite a fan.

after selling some stuff on ebay, and dealing with the mess of shipping/shipping costs/checks/paypay/ buyer not liking what they got, I decided to try craiglist instead, and yes, it is a lovely option! the buyer gets to look at the item before taking it, thus can't complain it wasn't as described, no shipping, and cash only. Simple, easy, efficient. I've only sold so far, but I'd certainly consider buying off craigslist if I was looking for something.

Default Craigslist

Ok, all of you have pretty much convinced me to put some ads out there after the holidays when things are quiet and, hopefully, people are looking for some good deals.

Thanks again to all and may you have a wonderful holiday!
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

I bought my OTTB, Cooper, off Craig's List. Great horse in bad need of an upgrade!
    I hired the world's best graphic designer off CL ... and the world's worst (still have the former, fired the latter).
    Other CL purchases: very nice dressage saddle and bridle, small fishing boat and trolling motor, and the buy of the century was our super clean, nicely equipped, family size pontoon boat with trailer, trolling motor, and pristine Yamaha 75hp motor for $6,000!
    I paid by check every time, exchanges were all nice and above board. Only got burned on that second designer, and that was my own fault in bad hiring (never hire in a hurry!)

I sold a horse trailer, and bought a lawn tractor with mower deck and snow blower, my car, an old farm tractor, a manure spreader, and a motorcycle from craigslist. I got great deals on the items and have used cash, check, and even had to get a loan arranged for the car.

Christa

Pretty sure my whole life came from CL, too. Here are my tips:

- Take cash or use a "Square" credit card reader. Super simple. Take checks if it feels right and you can afford the risk.
    - CL's biggest downside is people get FUHLLLLAAAKKKEEYY! I've been slow to reply and cheap on my offers but come out ahead because I showed up and did what I said I would do. Don't wait around or be easily offended. "A bird in the hand..." etc.
    - Learn to love Delete
    - Horse stuff doesn't always move quickly.
    - If you're in a metropolitan area, take advantage of other CL sites nearby. You can x-list by simply posting a link to your orig. ad.
    - It's definitely fine to meet somewhere. Use your best judgement.
    - Deal locally except w/ valuable or unusual items, in which case put the person in a context and get a sense of them by politely finding out where they ride, train and who you know in common. If someone is willing to purchase from a distance, that's fine, but have them assume as much of the risk as possible.
    - As w/ all things horse related: expect the best, prepare for the worst.
    Last edited by HillnDale; Dec. 23, 2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: had another thought.
    An auto-save saved my post.

I might be a cylon

I just recently gave up and got out of the horse biz and sold pretty much everything on Craigslist.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief