The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I guess I forgot to mention that while I did not buy my horse directly off CL, it was a CL ad that a friend answered, and while she passed on him, she sent around the pictures she took. Of course, I wasn't in the market for a 7 year old OTTB. that would be insane! So I just went out to see...and he's the best horse I have ever owned.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Meeting people at shows is nice if the buyer and seller are both going to be there anyway. Still "public" and easy to try stuff on.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Excellent experiences purchasing horse trailers by way of CL in two different states.

I tried to sell smaller items via CL more than 10 years ago when pay/deliver wasn't as clearly defined as it is now and had annoying but not terrible experiences with people who responded from a distance and didn't want to pay actual shipping.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

The only thing I bought was a dog crate. But I do know people who buy horsey stuff from CL. So far they have had positive things to say about it.
    "There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humor and the other is patience."

I've bought and sold tons of stuff on craigslist. Putting an ad on there today for free compost from the manure pile.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I just bought a German-made Stubben Tristan on Craigslist for $140. (Met this person at a local mall, because it was halfway between her place and mine.) A couple of months ago I bought a Baker blanket for $35. (Went to her house to pick it up, non horse person, very nice older lady.) I scour craigslist every day, looking for a trailer, and happened across those bargains. Haven't found the trailer yet. We sold a car through craigslist, those people came to our house to get it. It wasn't road-worthy (busted clutch) so they brought a tow truck and cash. Also sold a horse trailer on craigslist, he came to our house with cash and his truck.

I've bought and sold a lot on craigslist. Am just starting to sell some extra horse stuff soon... I bought my Cub Cadet riding lawn mower for $450... I haven't found it anywhere since for under $900. Great Buy!!! When I moved I sold a lot of household items... have bought a few antiques there too.
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

Bought my current saddle from TX Craigslist. Felt comfortable with the seller and paid through Paypal. They arranged shipping to CA. Excellent purchasing experience.

Have done freebies on CL (landscape stuff left in front of the house for pick up), Husband has sold lots of stuff with no issues and BFF sold her slant load on CL for a great price.

There are a lot of whackos, but with common sense, you can usually weed them out and find a good deal.

Sold my horse trailer on cl. Bought my bed and sewing machine. However, i did somehow get blacklisted by cl and no one would tell me why. I never did figure it out. I have another friend who has had trouble with people bad mouthing her on cl. You just have to be careful.
    ~~~~~*~*~*~*~*~
    “ride your own horse” from sayings for life.

Quote Originally Posted by IndysMom View Post
    Sold my horse trailer on cl. Bought my bed and sewing machine. However, i did somehow get blacklisted by cl and no one would tell me why. I never did figure it out. I have another friend who has had trouble with people bad mouthing her on cl. You just have to be careful.
    I didn't even know you could get blacklisted on Craigslist.

How did you even find out you were blacklisted? Did they send you some notice? I guess I'll have to go check out Craigslist a bit to see if I can find out about blacklisting.....
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

A friend sold a very large item on craigslist (not a horse related one per se, but it was stored in a barn and sold to clear out room in the barn). It was definitely too large of an item to haul to a public location to show to potential buyers who may or may not have wanted it, so there was no choice other than to have people come out to the house. Safety was a concern, so it was arranged to have a few people out there, and fortunately the first person who came bought it and it was all very uncomplicated. I am shocked by those saying that they would not want to meet in a public location. I woud always want to do that if possible. I wouldn't feel comfortable going out to a stranger's house alone, but I would feel pretty safe meeting in a populated parking lot.

Bought/sold a variety of stuff on craigslist for various reasons - rain barrels, farm equipment, poultry, random tack I was getting rid of that wasn't worth much.

I've met folks at our place but also at public places for convenience. We like craigslist and look at it through the lens of caveat emptor. Then again, that's sort of how we view all our purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I didn't even know you could get blacklisted on Craigslist.

How did you even find out you were blacklisted? Did they send you some notice? I guess I'll have to go check out Craigslist a bit to see if I can find out about blacklisting.....
    YOU are blacklisted as a user or your POST was flagged?

Never heard of blacklisting...
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    YOU are blacklisted as a user or your POST was flagged?

Never heard of blacklisting...
    OK, I did go to the Craigslist site and read about flagging posts but didn't see anything about being blacklisted. I know the poster (Indy's Mom) so I'll email her for an explanation.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

To add to a previous post, nearly three years ago, I bought a 1993 Buick Century with 55,000 actual miles for $2200, 5 years ago, I got a 15 year old registered Morgan gelding for free (WAS for sale, cheap, but owner liked how we "fit"), and recently, a Crosby Prix de Nations saddle with saddle rack and three saddle pads for $125.
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Yup, got blacklisted. I couldn't open my Craigslist account or list any items. I tried contacting them, but never did get any reasonable answer. Just kept telling me to go read the guidelines. I never did figure out why either since I wasn't a heavy user-just occasionally listed something or bought a couple of items.
    ~~~~~*~*~*~*~*~
    “ride your own horse” from sayings for life.