The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

good news is that I don't think most muggers use saddles as bait.

I don't know about that... One day, a few years ago, I put two separate ads out for two separate saddles, both English. These were nice brand name, popular sizes, super good condition. So, they weren't cheap. One of the first callers was a man. Friendly as heck, said he wanted several saddles for his cousins in South America. He'll buy the Western saddle too! (Huh? I had no ads for Western saddles). We went back and forth on that, I said these were nice saddles, he could probably get as many saddles as he wanted for much cheaper off eBay. Anyway, he kept wanting my address. I said I'd meet him in the town halfway between our places of residence. No, he wanted to come to my farm. Nada, I wouldn't budge. He was smug and barely containing laughter the whole time, it was just strange. Finally I just said I couldn't meet him until Saturday, to call me back then, we'll arrange a meeting in town. Needless to say, I never heard from that one again, thank goodness. I did sell them though, to a wonderful gal who lived nearby, so it worked out in the end.

Three weeks ago I hit a heck of a bargain on a local (120 miles away) CL. DH and I have been looking for a car/cargo trailer for our impending move, but I am a real wack job when it comes to BP trailers...I know several people (DD for one) who have had bad accidents when the BP left the truck. We haven't had much luck finding what we wanted (size/GN) but I keep looking. Of course...I'm always temped by the Farm/Garden/horse listings and I ran across a BIG, oversized draft/WB 4 horse slant with a small LQ that wasn't even listed with the trailers. We have a wonderful aluminum custom trailer to haul horses in, but the seller did some awesome woodwork and made this trailer unique. He did all handmade cabinets and shelves and counters, sink, microwave, stove, gas/electric HW heater and refrig. and A/C. They had a queen size mattress, but also elevated bunk beds on two sides of the GN. This thing is just too cool...cabinets are nice enough for a house!! Too bad I only need it to move furniture!! The trailer was priced on CL for about 1/2 what it would have been on a dealer's lot. Thank you CL!!!
    Last edited by crosscreeksh; Dec. 23, 2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I have gotten one cat, sold one saddle, and bought a musical instrument for a student. This last item was tried out in a McDonald's parking lot. The customers got one heck of a concert to go with their hamburgers!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I've sold a few things on CL and have bought a few, I alway meet at a public place and cash only. We had a family that had a ring for sale and 4 criminals came to their house at 9 at night and ended up killing the father and terrorizing the rest of the family. But really, who lets 4 strangers into their house at night and expect it to come out good?
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I've both bought and sold via CL. I agree with cash only, and a public place. Take someone with you if you can, or at least let someone know where you are going to meet the buyer. Most people are just normal horsey women but hey you never know till you get there I guess.

I have sold the oddest things on CL, it's like people always want the things you never think will sell!

Also, I don't know if you are on FB, but there is a very active WNY Tack Swap page where people buy and sell like crazy. If you're not on FB, maybe someone can post a list for you? (If you want help with that I'd be happy to do it for you.)
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post

Also, I don't know if you are on FB, but there is a very active WNY Tack Swap page where people buy and sell like crazy. If you're not on FB, maybe someone can post a list for you? (If you want help with that I'd be happy to do it for you.)
    Flash, what a lovely offer. I may take you up on that. Yes, I'm Facebook only because I can't seem to get off. I keep getting 'friended' or whatever and I just ignore it.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I have bought and sold on craigslist. I recently sold my County Drespri for good money. And I bought my trailer off CL. No losing money off of paying ebay or paypal fees. I always state my terms when listing something (No trials or returns, buyer pays paypal fees if they want to use that form of payment, etc....)

I bought a 3 yo qh mare horse off Craigslist, and she won everything with my son in western pleasure the following year.

I buy and sell. Meet in a public place. Pay/accept cash. On a few big ticket items I've met the person at a show to try the item (saddle, blanket, etc.) on the horse. Never had a bad experience. Met a few nice people, actually.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I buy and sell a lot of Western tack, and general household stuff, on CL. I've sold at least 5 saddles that way - several to out of state buyers. Plus a number of tack items that I thought I'd be stuck with forever. All it takes is a well written ad, good pictures, and the right price.

I've also bought several saddles, a horse (only bad buy I've made - he was nuts), blankets, and a horse trailer.

i use Craigslist and also for the stuff i dont feel like selling FreeCycle.

i also have folks come to my place - i am not sure what i would think about someone suggesting i meet them in a public place! lol!

When I was saddle-hunting, I would search all over on craigslist for the particular saddle I was looking for even if it wasn't local and if I found one, I'd email the seller and ask them if they'd be willing to ship it to me (and I'd pay for the shipping, of course) and pay with paypal.

I've posted horse stuff for sale on CL too though I haven't actually sold anything through it, myself.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Love craigslist. Have bought and sold and given stuff away - horse, horse related, and otherwise. ditto what others have posted about common sense safety stuff. Biggest issue with craigslist is CAVEAT EMPTOR. [sic?]

WHO actually buys off CL? A true story if you will...

My sister sits in frozen Alaska dreaming of moving south and entertains herself looking at farms, etc. on CL in NC, SC, VA... my old dad (I'm grinning & shaking my head as I write this...) was telling her he wanted to buy a trail horse a couple of years ago. He really wanted a buckskin. Sister starts forwarding CL ads of buckskins to my dad (who is channeling Matt Dillon from Gunsmoke). Dad heads off into the wilds of SW VA and buys the first thing he sees: a screw loose, young mare whose stock in trade to dealing with anything unpleasant is to go backwards. It will go out on trails with a babysitter and even then he pushes her buttons & it's a miracle no one's been hurt. Anyway, this mare is Definitely NOT something I'd have EVER suggested my 76 yr. old father ride, own, pet, look at. BUT the mare is registered & buckskin...and she's got HUGE hindquarters with 00 size feet. Yay. (not at all). Thanks, Sis...now go shovel some snow and quit looking at craigslist. In this market, my Dad WAY overpaid for this mare (and keeps on paying for corrective shoeing every 5 weeks).

Craigslist is a great way for people to connect but when it comes to horse stuff, look for the non-horsey folks on both sides of the fence. PS Does anyone want to buy a registered buckskin...did i mention she'll make your Marshall Dillon Halloween costume really come to life?????

Oh yeah, I also found the place I'm boarding my horse on CL and it's worked out great so far. (right at a year and a half)

And I've found a couple of apartments to rent on CL and had no issues with that either.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I have bought blankets, tack and even a pony off craigslist!
    When I sell I always meet at a 7-11 close to my house, public place, good lighting, and they can never say that they don't have cash because there is an ATM right inside

I have bought a lot of horse related items off Craigslist. And I have sold a few as well. I admit, when purchasing I do like to meet at a public place. I don't want any crazies (if they turn out to be) knowing where I live.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I love looking on Craigslist and I've managed to score some great finds. Most recently I was looking for a wall mounted wine rack - found a super cute metal one in an antique cream finish; $10 and looks great.

But my #1 all time CL find was a custom Integrity Linens wool dress sheet - nice, thick and fancy, and was even in my barn colors. Lady had no idea what she had and I scored it for, IIRC, $70.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

maybe its because Craigslist was started in my community as a list of parties/events/etc and i actually have met "craig" but i find it really weird that folks actually meet in public places to do business! that is so strange!

and before anyone says anything: i am a city girl and spent a huge amount of my life living SF and East Oakland.

Honestly if someone suggested to me that i meet them at say a 7-11 i would call off the deal post hast.

oh and fwiw, CL is the go to place for most local folks looking for employees, housing, and just about everything else listed. and why not? it is free - and it works.

So far I've bought:
    - two parrots (both were adult re-homes with a reasonable fee, not baby birds)
    - a desk chair
    - a fish tank

I've sold:
    - a classic car
    - a Nintendo Wii

I've looked at buying horse related things, including horses, but haven't found anything worth my time so far. Most of the horses on CL are super cheap or insanely overpriced (especially the "dancing" horses sold by spanish speaking horse dealers). I keep looking on the hopes that I might get lucky and find something special.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    Honestly if someone suggested to me that i meet them at say a 7-11 i would call off the deal post hast
    I hope that in this day and age, you (and the other poster that expressed a similar sentiment) are in the minority. There are a lot of wackos out there, not just on CL, and I'm not keen on having them come to my home at all. And I've had to go to their house, of course, for some big things (like around pen we were checking out) but always take my SO and usually don't carry the cash with me if it is a big ticket thing. There have been some cases here of people being robbed in such situations out here, even one where people met in a public parking lot and had their PUPPY (for sale) stolen at gun point (puppy recovered because brilliant thief gave it to someone as a gift and they saw on report on news and called cops). I think being cautious and careful is just plain smart.

1 members found this post helpful.