The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Who really buys stuff from Craigslist? (HR)

I'm seriously considering putting some horse stuff on CL but not sure it it's that great of an idea.

COTH forum abounds with the funny and/or sad horse ads, but what about other things like blankets, saddles, bridles, pads, and other general horse items?

Do you check out other horse-related items?

Do you consider contacting the person to see and maybe buy?

Do you sell other horse-related stuff, and if you do, if it's a small item, like bridles or pads, do you have the potential buyer come to your home or do you meet them in an public place? Reason I'm asking that is there are so darn many crazy people out there, I'm not sure I'd want them know where I live.

Also, do you accept a check from a stranger or say you will only accept cash?
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have purchased tack from craigslist. I do check out horse-related items. I bought a saddle - went to seller's house (it was 5 minutes from mine and a house I pass by regularly!). Cash, all the way!

I also did a saddle trial. We met at the guy's work, I picked up the saddle, tried it out, and returned it to him at his work again.

I've bought and sold a few things on Craigslist. All non-horse related. I met in a public place during a busy time and exchanged the item for cash. I would never consider a check.

I've sold a lot of tack on craigslist. I started by advertising a tack sale, with photos and item descriptions. Some of the sales I fulfilled by mail...and just took payment with Paypal. I sold about half before I even held the sale.

I'm planning on another big sale this spring.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I took a check once, because I was moving and the item was large but not very expensive. I figured if the check bounced, at least I didn't have to deal with hauling the item anywhere. It cleared without a problem.

Otherwise, cash and a public location. And some consideration of whether the money you are getting for the item is worth the time/gas spent driving somewhere and waiting for someone who might or might not show up.

I have bought and sold tack on Craisgslist and been satisfied with the result every time. I don't think I have run into anyone creepy or shady. In fact, several times we have discovered personal connections.
    Sheilah

I have bought/sold/given away numerous household items on CL, mostly when we were renovating and there were things we needed on a temporary basis. So in this case people came to the house, and we went to theirs, but I always had my husband with me, and dealt in cash only.

Horse related, I have sold a saddle and quite a few other items, most of those to the same person. The ads are anonymous, so I'd get an email and recognize the buyer. It got to be funny how many things she ended up buying from me at different times.

ETA with the horse stuff, I always met the people at the barn.

I also bought a saddle from someone across the country. After talking to her on the phone, I felt good about it and paid for it through PayPal. Before that, there was another saddle I took on trial, also from the other coast, also using PayPal. No problems with either transaction, but I talked with the sellers and it just felt right.
    Last edited by Bristol Bay; Dec. 22, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Omg, i have bought and sold everything from horses to a horse trailer. Also my little mill creek manure spreader, hay, various tack items, and TONS of non horse related stuff. I use Craigslist to get rid of a lot of stuff too, including my manure pile. It is AMAZING what people will take if it is free. My family calls me the Craigslist queen.

Sometimes I will meet people places, sometimes they come to our house. I never go anywhere by myself though.
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

2 members found this post helpful.

I bought a saddle off of Craigslist. Public place and cash. It turned out not to fit my horse as well as I would have liked but I was able to sell it for what I paid for it since it was in good shape and priced reasonably.

I haven't bought or sold a ton of things on CL - the saddle I sold, I went to the person's barn (they were, after all, trying it on their horse) - I went to two different barns selling saddles. I've bought household items off of ebay (couches, a really nice patio furniture set, hutch) - all I went to the person's house. I haven't bought much horse stuff (mostly things are either too expensive, not the right size or have been sold when I inquired).

Although all horse people are crazy, I would feel most safe selling horse stuff on ebay - especially in our area, its a small community.

I have bought things from Craigslist, including a couple of big ticket items, not horse related though. I do check CL for horse stuff and did arrange a trial for a saddle I found there, but it didn't work out.

I have no sold anything on CL yet. I stay very close to home, like within a 20 minute drive of my house or office, so that I'm not wasting too much time going to see something that might not be as described, or might have sold and the seller didn't bother to contact me to tell me not to come (has happened). I either meet the seller somewhere neutral (if it's a small item that can be carried easily) or take someone with me (husband or male coworker), so that I'm not going to an unknown house alone, if it's a big item that has to be seen onsite. If I really want it, and am positive I'll buy it if it meets my basic minimum criteria for condition, I bring cash with me and a typed up bill of sale (for expensive things).

I think if I were selling, I'd do the same thing, try to deal only with very local people, meet strangers in a public place, or arrange to have a large male with me when people come to see it at home and cash only.

Well, I have given away 'free kittens with first shots' (strays that I suckered myself into fostering), picked up a 'free dog' three months ago (Doberman, female, no shots, not fixed, red--NOT my favorite color) about an hour away, and ta da!, bought a "Siegfried" 2 1/2 months ago.

Thankfully, the saddle was only about 5 miles away, advertised for $100, but she lowered it to $80 because she discovered a slight tear in it (that wouldn't affect its use at all!). It was in great condition, measured at 17 1/2"---perfect, came with leathers and stirrups, and also included a saddle cover WORTH at least what I was paying for the saddle. A couple of days later she e-mailed me to ask if I was interested in a pair of (really nice) full chaps for free. (YES.) On top of it all, the Stubben fits my stout Morgan and riding in it is heavenly.

I'm very happy. :-)
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

I sell hay through craigslist if I haven't been able to empty the barn through word of mouth. Minimum of one ton keeps it manageable. I used to deliver, but with gas prices so high and people not showing up on time to take delivery it just got to be too much of a chore. If it were my property I would feel weird about it, but since I hay for my boss at my "real" job the hay is in his barn. He doesn't seem overly concerned about strangers on his property.

I've bought and sold blankets and things, too. Always met the person in a public place and paid cash or required cash for sold items.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I sold my old saddle and bought my new one off of Craigslist. In the same week! I found my Suburban there as well and got an awesome deal on it.

I buy from craigslist and a local facebook horse group that sort of operates like craigslist (people post if they're looking for tack or a horse or an item or board or post job ads). You just have to be careful with who you buy from. Usually what I'll do is put an ad up at the local tack shop's BB with my contact info and do craigslist as well if it isn't selling.

We have certainly purchased and acquired farm-related horse items off of craigslist. Items such as feed troughs, water troughs, fence panels, jumps, drags, ATVs/mules, etc often through estate sales or people getting out of the horse business, we've located and purchased through this venue. Mirrors, footing (quarter minus, sand, etc), and straw (for foaling) we also have acquired, often for free, off of Craigslist. So far I have not purchased tack but would if I felt it was going to be a good bargain. I have also never purchased a horse off of craigslist but that is not to say I never would.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I've bought a few things off craigslist, and all went ok. Got my horse trailer off CL! That made me nervous, carrying thousands in cash, but the person worked in law enforcement so we met at their "office" and I brought my SO. Let's see, I've also gotten stall mats, horse vacuum, water troughs, a beautiful and massive tack armoire for the barn, and round pen panels. Kind of funny to think how much of my current barn came off CL! I've not sold anything on CL as I don't want people coming to my house. If I did list there, I'd probably meet somewhere to exchange item and cash. We're pretty isolated and no one really knows we're here and I like to keep it that way!

Default Craigslist

Thanks to all of you for your input. You make me feel better about listing things on CL. There is nothing (yet) large enough that I can't toss in the truck and go meet someone in a public place.

I've advertised previously in our riding club newsletter and website and had reasonable responses but figure that CL might hit a much larger group than just the eventers and some driving people.

Thanks again for the great responses.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I've sold and purchased several things from Craigslist successfully, and sometimes you find great bargains. When I bought my mare, I was delighted to find an older but solid synthetic saddle that was was an excellent fit for both me and my mare for $100. The seller was an experienced horse person that just had a lot of stuff lying around and seemed happy to sell it to a beginner like me. Had she wanted to, she could have easily sold it for around $200.

I think my entire life came from CL:

HR:
    I got back into horses hard core as a re-rider b/c I saw a lease ad on CL. I will never be sure what made me respond, but I always thought I would have to have $$ b/f getting back into it. For some reason a lease ad with hardly ANY info intrigued me...and now 5 yrs later I am more nuts than I was at 17 & I even bought one of the things on my own!

The horse I met & leased via the ad was one of the sweetest horses ever, came into my life at just the right time. Not a performance horse by any means, but just being around him made me so happy. I miss him to death. He had a good soul.

I have picked up misc tack items. A surcingle & side reins, etc. I look at it for fun all the time. I am glad I don't have property b/c I would end up with a zoo of donkeys, goats...who knows what.

not HR:

Furnished my entire place with stuff from CL. All super nice antiques, dirt cheap. Nothing over 200$, for real. Well-off people just want to clear stuff out or redecorating. One non-antique leather couch, again, in great shape & for about 1/10 of its value. I always bring a pal with me to pick up, check out address on google maps, all have been nice homes in nice areas, so no issues. I realize you stuff can go down in nice places, but my real paranoia is bed bugs.

Currently live in fantastic Victorian apt I found on CL, not in a neighborhood I would have thought of, but pics made me come & look. I am very happy here & have been for a while.

also got free moving boxes, then passed them along to next in the free chain.

Found my car via smaller, specialty dealer.

I have sold furniture items, beater car & miscellany. Usually pick up is in a safe place or with supervision. I always talk to the person on the phone first. So far no cretins.

I have not done so, but if you are doing a car transaction or similar with lots of cash, a good place to meet is in parking lot of police station.

good news is that I don't think most muggers use saddles as bait.

2 members found this post helpful.