The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does "Wild Eye" or exposed sclera and Eye slightly larger affect vision?

Curiosity question. My horse has one normal and one "wild eye". He is basically a laid back guy with the occassional spook. I have often wondered if having two different eyes contributes to it.

He has had moments that he seemingly can not tell what he is looking at and it has scared the heck out of him. Heart racing away.

I tried searching the web but didn't find much specific to "wild eye". What affect does an exposed sclera and a slightly bulging eye have on vision? If so, how does it affect their monocular vs binocular vision?

Thank you.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

The slightly bulging part is an optical illusion. The eye is the same as the other eye minus the extra white coloring.

Every time I've researched it (go to TheHorse), and advice from my vets, say no visual differences unless the apparent "bulging" is from an injury. "Wild eye" is just coloration differences.

The white ring does not effect vision at all if the internal structures of the eye are normal. If the eye actually IS bulging that can be a BIG problem - glaucoma, lymphoma, retrobulbar abscess etc.

If you are concerned that he seemingly cannot see things, you need to have a basic eye exam done.

There was a nutter horse at one barn with two 'wild' eyes. People always commented on the white, but I think he had vision issues b/c eyes were set into his face like he was a flounder. For real, he had the ugliest head, ever. Small eyes, set in the middle of his head. bad combo. ick.

Don't all Appaloosas have the white ring? A stalwart breed if there ever was one.

1 members found this post helpful.

The sclera does not participate in the "seeing" part of what the eye does.

People judge books by their covers all the time. Don't see why a horse with a "wild" eye (even the name has baggage) would not cause them to do the same.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    There was a nutter horse at one barn with two 'wild' eyes. People always commented on the white, but I think he had vision issues b/c eyes were set into his face like he was a flounder. For real, he had the ugliest head, ever. Small eyes, set in the middle of his head. bad combo. ick.

Don't all Appaloosas have the white ring? A stalwart breed if there ever was one.
    I've ridden a few horses with the opposite eye set that were spooky. Wide forehead with eyes more to the side. I figured that they had a bigger blind spot or something. It's been enough of a consistent thing that I would avoid buying a young, un-started or barely started horse with that eye set.

One of the kindest horses I ever knew had little eyes with white.
    The Evil Chem Prof

My mare has a very slight sclera on her right eye. I've often wondered this as well but I don't think her vision is affected, though I don't think she sees super well in the dark; she's extra spooky at dusk. One of my favorite school horses growing up had a lot of white showing.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Thank you for your responses. I have done some further digging and think I may have found something worth investigating with an Opthalmalogist. My horse does not have glaucoma, lymphoma or abcess. This is not new. He is not in pain and it does not appear to be progressive. He was born this way. One eye is more bulbous than the other.

I love my guy. He is very sweet natured. A love bug but I am beginning to rethink the "he'll spook less with more exposure theory". He's not that young, he has been out and about and he is not growing out of it.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

Some bloodlines tend to produce more reactive horses.
    If those also have white around the eyes, well, they are more reactive, that is true and people tend to focus on what also is special about such horses.

Other lines without the white are also more flighty, but no one then thinks that is because of the eyes, as they are not different.

Now, there is your horse, with one of each, so does that mean he is confused?

Seriously, if there is any irregularity about eyes, it never hurts to have your vet check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Some bloodlines tend to produce more reactive horses.
    If those also have white around the eyes, well, they are more reactive, that is true and people tend to focus on what also is special about such horses.
    I was going to say something to this effect. People tend to expect wild eyed horses to be spooky. And quite frankly, some breeds who value the lookey reactive horses happily breed for the characteristic because it enhances the image.

For instance: Saddlebreds are supposed to "look like they are going to explode but don't". Hence, a large wild eye is the icing on the cake. People often expect Saddlebreds to act wild because the eyes make them look constantly alarmed.

He doesn't come from a bloodline that is known to be reactive. Quite the opposite actually. I think sometimes he just cannot tell what he is looking at, so he reacts in a fearful rather than confident manner. I did find something online that makes sense if he fits the genetic profile. He is not the common breed but may be the right coat color.

Typically the sclera is white, rather than colored, but is no more "exposed" than a colored sclera. It just LOOKS that way.

There are all sorts of vision problems thatt could make a horse "spooky", but they are not related to the color of the sclera.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    With an abnormally high rate of chronic uveitis (ERU). In my opinion, eyes with a lot of sclera showing seem to be very prone to developing uveitis. Precautions such as light blocking/filtering masks should always be worn outside.