The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    My median would certainly have been better without THAT score! LOL
    Yeah, I had TWO of those shows this past year, where I thought - hmmmm, jump out of the arena? In one case, I did go off course twice (horse got caste or fell in its trailer right next to the show ring - and my horse was probably more upset about it then the caste horse!). But my inner nerd self said NO, I want to see how bad it really is However, I have seen riders (mostly pros) do it - very obvious too! I saw one adult ammie get off and try to dismiss herself - the judge told her NO, get back on and ride Ended up dismissing her anyway - her horse was getting a little gnarly... Yeah, it happens.

With show fees the way they are now, I want my money's worth, even if it is a cruddy ride

Default "rate my judge"

Lots of good comments and ideas from all above. I saw that there is a website called "rate my professor" for college teachers...why not have something similar for Judges?? It is not meant to post nasty comments on, however it is supposed to give constructive feedback.
    On the other hand some riders/trainers need to become more moral/ethical and stop seeking out the high scoring judges just to get good scores (or qualify for BLM)!!
    Thankfully there is a bunch of good scoring going on too....

I wonder how far the show reports go toward changing things. I know of one VERY distinguished older judge who does have an openly stated color bias. No amount of reports do any good because nothing is ever noted on the actual tests. (At least that's my guess for the fact that that judge is still working regularly.) Whatever. It's not my (color) breed that the judge is biased against, but I avoid that judge figuring if he doesn't like _____________, he won't like spots! LOL There are plenty of judges without breed or color bias these days that one can keep a (very small) list of judges to avoid.

As for hiring local judges... well, LOL, yeah, it sure makes it difficult for me (and a friend). She's a trainer, showing a client's (big) Arabian, and my horse is double registered ApHC/AHA: But we rarely do the Arabian dressage shows in the northern part of the state because they just LOVE to hire our BO to judge. At least in 2011, they hired ANOTHER local judge, so I was able to show. *G*
    Last edited by Sandy M; Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

How about we throw out low and high scores to get the average? Take the middle 5 in a given season?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    How about we throw out low and high scores to get the average? Take the middle 5 in a given season?
    Middle five would certainly give a more accurate picture than than the middle two, as they do now. If they'd done that, my median would have been something like 62%-63. (I had several 62s and 63s, a 64, a 70, and a several of 60-61s, tailing down to a 58 (lots of wahoos! in that one. A big sigh re spooky/excitable horses.). Averaging the middle five (instead of the middle 2) would have pulled my median up more than deliberately jumping out of the ring! LOL