The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I looked on the website advertised in USDF Connection & they hardly had any info up yet. Every link said "check back soon" or something like that. Does anyone know who qualifies? Top 2 from each regional finals? More than that? There must be some minimum score too- if the top combinations from a given region have really bad scores, would they still qualify?

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

Geography is a HUGE issue because it is a HUGE expense. Regional winners deserve to have their expenses partially funded to attend, at least for the first time. USDF has ALOT of overhead, perhaps that ought to diminish a bit, or at least be considered. The more streamlined a business is, the less overhead there is. USDF wants more members, well, it has to be affordable. Showing at the USDF sanctioned shows is nickel and diming the membership, sorry, we get enough of that where we keep our horses. To attract folks to a National Championship, ya gotta make it worth the cost of traveling to the venue. Here in California the Regional Championships are in the south one year and the north another year due to how big California is. If this event is to be held only at the Kentucky Horse Park, those who can afford the time off from work and can afford the travel expenses will go. Every show entry form I run across is complicated and one is nickel and dimed to death. Yes, the venue usage has to be paid in some way. Yes, judges and other officials have to be paid too, pick ones that live close by! At least for this first time. And get the details posted asap so people have time to plan ahead! We all work for a living! No, am not an AA anymore, but dad gum it, it's time for the AA's to be recognized as part of the future of the sport either nationally or internationally! So much super riding is being overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethe Mounce View Post
    Regional winners deserve to have their expenses partially funded to attend, at least for the first time.
    That seems at direct opposition to this:

USDF wants more members, well, it has to be affordable. Showing at the USDF sanctioned shows is nickel and diming the membership, sorry, we get enough of that where we keep our horses.
    Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather my show fees not go to subsidize other people's attendance at a competition I'm unlikely to contest. That raises the cost of entry to everyone.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethe Mounce View Post
    Geography is a HUGE issue because it is a HUGE expense. Regional winners deserve to have their expenses partially funded to attend, at least for the first time. .
    Deserve??? Surely you jest!!

If people want to participate they will. I realize there is likely a great pair out there on a shoestring that won't be able to afford to go; sad but that's life.

1 members found this post helpful.

In other sports that organize National Champs, a travel fund is available to participants.

The organizing bodies generate the funds from TV rights, advertising, sponsorship etc,,etc,, (It would require some work on the part of the organizers though)
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Thanks for the correction, rothmpp. I misspoke (miswrote)!

Having a national championship in a place like England or France or Germany is easier than having one in a vast country like the USA. Most of us cannot afford to go to a national championship if we qualified. Regional is enough for most of us.

Only the wealthy or heavily-sponsored riders will be able to go to a national championship. Oh, or the ones lucky enough to live close to the venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    In other sports that organize National Champs, a travel fund is available to participants.

The organizing bodies generate the funds from TV rights, advertising, sponsorship etc,,etc,, (It would require some work on the part of the organizers though)
    Can you provide some examples please? I can't think of a single such thing for any equine sport.

AQHA holds a World Championship show every year, no travel fund for those who qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    Can you provide some examples please? I can't think of a single such thing for any equine sport.

AQHA holds a World Championship show every year, no travel fund for those who qualify.
    I have to agree. Amateur sports in any field are never going to be a true representation of a national champion. Participants make financial decisions or logistical decisions all the time and every year. Unless every single participant goes through qualification competitions and follows the process to the championship every year, you only get the champions of who participates.

I have expressed concerns with the idea of sending the same panel of judges all over the country. It's going to take 2+ months (9 regions, and how much complaining is there about how far regionals from some people? I can hear the complaining now if they ran shows on a Tuesday to shorten the time to get through all the regions.) And the people who get the last go round will have had 2 extra months to prepare.

Using score averages also has it's problems. One bad show early in the season? You're done, even if you have one of the best horses in country. Alternatively, get one or two higher scoring judges, then never show again that season. Talk about encouraging judge shopping.

If we are going to have a national championship, make it a produce it on that day kind of event.

I am extremely excited to hear of the National Championship. As a country I think we have precious few large, high-profile events to bring our top horses to in order to get the exposure needed for higher level, even international competition. In Europe they have the convenience of a small geographic area and high number of quality horses resulting in many opportunities to get them accustomed to these types of shows. National Championships can also allow talented riders who can get the job done well,( but don't necessarily have the backing to head to Florida for a full season or the West Coast for that matter), the opportunity to showcase thier abilities and be seen. The costs I am assuming will be tremendous to attend, but other disciplines and breeds get it done. As an aspiring professional my hope is to again have a horse ranked in the top 10-20 nationally and have a crack at it. The hard work is putting in the time and effort to do the training correctly, once that is in place then to be a creative and motivated enough individual where I could come up with the funds necessary to get where I needed to go. I am a mom of two and though I wintered in Florida for 2 seasons, it really isn't practical to do while they are young, which seguays into my next thought. I would like to see it be in a consistent location which I think makes it difficult obviously for those on extreme coasts, shame that the only hot spots for this sport seem to be in polar opposites of the country. I understand that weather is the primary draw in those cases, but from a perspective of making the sport of dressage strong and developing riders across this country I think it is a mistake to only fuel the distant east/west coast venues. Guess I don't have all the answers as to how exactly the USDF should go about nurturing everyone in between but I think at least the dialogue and the thought are a step in the right direction.

I personally think that the horse park is a great location. The venue is absolutely wonderful and it is very central for most of the country. If you live on the absolute west coast, I think it would be very difficult to find a quality venue that is close to you guys as well as close for those even in the midwest. There is also an advantage that the elevation of the horse park is very mild. I know that there has been much talk between the junior riders who have qualified for the 2013 Dressage Seat Finals which are to be held in Colorado. The elevation of the show grounds is such that both horse and rider need to be at that elevation for anywhere from 2-3 weeks before competing in order to perform safely and at their best. This is difficult for Junior riders who maybe have to take time off of school or especially for the accompanying parents who have to take time off of work to go the the venue and sit with their child and horse for two weeks let alone the cost of having to ship the horse out there for so long. I think the horse park is a great starting location for nationals. I think it absolutely needs to travel a little bit especially in the first couple of years in order to see if there is a better venue, but it's a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post

http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?eid=4516
    Section3; Travel/Tow fund.

http://www.popwarner.com/forms/grants.htm

Just google "travel grant"
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Interesting, but neither are horse related. I get the Pop Warner situation, but was quite surprised by the auto one. Both football and anything having to do with cars have a much larger following than any equine sport. We're pretty much on our own.

I don't think you have grasped the point. Every organization is "on their own" - they just need the will to make it happen. The car club is very similar to the dressage community, except for the way in which they organize themselves. It is a club of amateurs with an expensive hobby who also run "Pro" type events. Their events are also supported by a large body of volunteers, and their "following" is not as large as you imagine it to be.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Top two from each regional, but you must indicate that you are willing to travel to the nationals upon entry into the RC - so in fact it may not be the first and second place finishers who attend the nationals. Theya re discussing haviing wild card placings, also.
    Here are the notes I took at the convention: "US Dressage Finals at KHP Nov. 7-10 2013. Riders will qualify through the Regional Championships. At least top two finishers who declare in advance that they are interested in competing will be invited. Possible wild card invitations are under development as well. www.usdressagefinals.com Will be a zero-based budget. Any profits reinvested in future competitions. Will rotate from coast to coast every three years. "

Quote Originally Posted by vagabondrider View Post
    I looked on the website advertised in USDF Connection & they hardly had any info up yet. Every link said "check back soon" or something like that. Does anyone know who qualifies? Top 2 from each regional finals? More than that? There must be some minimum score too- if the top combinations from a given region have really bad scores, would they still qualify?

I don't think you have grasped the point. Every organization is "on their own" - they just need the will to make it happen. The car club is very similar to the dressage community, except for the way in which they organize themselves. It is a club of amateurs with an expensive hobby who also run "Pro" type events. Their events are also supported by a large body of volunteers, and their "following" is not as large as you imagine it to be.

I believe I have a pretty firm grasp on reality and that is simply that any equine pursuit is viewed as elitist by most not directly involved in the sport. Secondly, those who are directly involved in the sport are unlikely to be willing to subsidize travel for others to a "national" championship. Just take a quick look back at the posts on this thread. There's a world of difference between having the "will" to make something happen and actually wanting that same thing to happen.

In short; as a dues paying adult amateur I do not support either a national championship or a travel grant for attendance at the same that draws upon my entry or membership fees.

On the other hand, if some little kid showed up at my door in his Pop Warner outfit, I'd probably toss some cash his way to subsidize that "championship." If some ammy car racer asked me to subsidize their "championship" I'd probably still be laughing after they'd moved on to the next house.

[QUOTE=cnm161;6733626]The way I see it, they're never going to host finals where I live currently (western PA), nor where I'm likely to move for my job (Houston). The regional champs I took this guy to this past year cost me >$1500 for a weekend. And that's only a 6hr drive away. If I have to go across the country for a longer show, it's easily $5K. Easily.

I don't have an opinion about where they are held, but I wanted to say you have a lovely horse and if your riding position in this photo is indicative of your style, WOW, you have an easy, beautiful form!!!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

The AQHA Congress has been held in Columbus, OH for roughly 1 million years. It doesn't move. The competitors come, and show, and the show is a massive, three week long spectacle. It is the best way to seal your route to qualifying for the World which is held in Oklahoma City every year.

If you can't afford to go to KY, then you won't go. That will not diminish your HOY award, or your Regional Award. Think you're 'worth it?' find sponsors, load up, pack a lunch, and go.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    I don't have an opinion about where they are held, but I wanted to say you have a lovely horse and if your riding position in this photo is indicative of your style, WOW, you have an easy, beautiful form!!!
    Thanks! You're quite possibly too kind.

bump
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    The AQHA Congress has been held in Columbus, OH for roughly 1 million years. It doesn't move. The competitors come, and show, and the show is a massive, three week long spectacle. It is the best way to seal your route to qualifying for the World which is held in Oklahoma City every year.

If you can't afford to go to KY, then you won't go. That will not diminish your HOY award, or your Regional Award. Think you're 'worth it?' find sponsors, load up, pack a lunch, and go.
    So very true! I know many So Cal AQHA folks that are able to qualify for the World but skip the Congress altogether to save wear and tear on their horses and also $$. I really appreciate the suggestion to get sponsorship as that's a great example of having the will to make something happen!!