The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

When I started taking lessons again as an adult, my Mother's first comment was, "Oh honey....why are you doing that? You remember what happened to Christopher Reeves?" and she was completely serious and said it so dramatically. His accident occurred smack dab between my childhood and my adult riding debut. I've only fallen off twice in almost 6 years and both times, she said it again. Neither of those times involved jumping, BTW. One involved an ATV on a lesson horse in a fenced arena...the other, a sleeping deer jumped out of tall grass on a trail about 10 feet away. My older gelding wouldn't have cared if the mare we were with didn't FREAK out. He (and I) were such followers back then! He just followed her spook since he was half asleep riding up her a**. Lesson learned

Why does everyone want us to get rid of our horses?! Non-horsey people just don't get it

10 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by JumpQH View Post
    From my brother: "Maybe you should breed Pugs."
    I really do think this was Post of the Thread.

I shared it with my sister last night, and we both ended up on the floor clutching the chair and the refrigerator (respectively) and howling with laughter.

Cheers to your brother!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

1 members found this post helpful.

from my mother after the latest minor fall "Don't you think you are getting too old for this? Maybe you should take up painting." I'm only 28 too.

After a major fall
    from mother "I hope you remembered to pay your health insurance."
    From uncle "There must be really something wrong with you since you keep doing this."

Darling husband said , "Great! NOW who's going to clean the barn"? He's a little autistic so we cut him some slack on the appropriate remarks category.

I nearly dislocated my shoulder after becoming unseated, grabbing my horse around the neck and she popped over and stopped...probably because I was hanging around her neck. I landed on my feet, facing the saddle with my arms around her neck...shoulder totally torn up.

An observer noted "That was really cool....your feet were clear over your head".

2 members found this post helpful.

JumpQH-and if you start breeding pugs, you'll trip on one and hurt yourself worse than with an flying dismount. Pugs and other dogs seem to delight in lying down exactly in the right place to trip you.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I really do think this was Post of the Thread.

I shared it with my sister last night, and we both ended up on the floor clutching the chair and the refrigerator (respectively) and howling with laughter.

Cheers to your brother!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    JumpQH-and if you start breeding pugs, you'll trip on one and hurt yourself worse than with an flying dismount. Pugs and other dogs seem to delight in lying down exactly in the right place to trip you.
    SO TRUE! I was tripping over them just yesterday!

Not family, but I got a massive black eye from a horse stopping then popping a jump and somehow my face connected with his neck (didn't actually fall).

I had just started a new job in junior management at a large factory on the 'wrong' side of town. I had numerous offers from the factory staff to 'sort out' the guy that had done it to me. I'm not sure I convinced any of them that it really was a horse . . .

6 members found this post helpful.

So my friend and I didn't fall off, but we both had stops last year in Florida on the same day. Of course it was the day my friend's non-horsie, checkbook holding, mother was in to watch us. She watched me go and my mare stopped after I tried to kill her in the combination. My mare then shut down and would not even go back towards the jump (that is how she is, actually a fantastic horse to learn on. and she went around and jumped clean and won the next day. haha). So then my friend went in and stopped before the second jump of the combination. We were both quite flustered with our ride, and disappointed with ourselves.
    Her mother met us back at the barn and said, "I think you two are winning. I watched the girl go after you and she forgot to stop at those double jumps."

Win. Hahaha.

21 members found this post helpful.

I was riding this hot, big, mare with ZERO confidence. She came along really well after a while but there was a couple of months where I hit the dirt frequently. My boyfriend would ask me how my day went, and I would reply- 'it was a good day!' or 'it was a bad day!'. The former meant I did not fall off the big mare, the latter meant I did! lol.

Not on falling but,
    My accountant Uncle on horse ownership:

'I would NEVER buy something that eats while I sleep.'

5 members found this post helpful.

Oh and I also and I'm love with the 'maybe you should breed pugs' comment!

Default So many choices...

But the best one was about ten years ago. After decades of riding, I had a year where I ended up in the ER 5 or 6 times, just odd, unpredicatable stuff.
    Last training ride of the evening, the Good Horse and I are practicing some rollbacks for our jump off rounds. One minute we're going like h*ll, next minute we slam down on our sides, his feet went out from under him like a little kid in socks on a slick hardwood floor. Knocked the breath out of both of us. We stayed where we were for a second, the trainer walks over
    Her: You need to get up, you're scaring the moms and kids.
    Me: Not unless you want me to puke on your shoes.
    Her: Come on, really, can you feel anything?
    Me: I can feel stuff I forgot I had and it all hurts.
    The Good Horse got up really carefully, so he wouldn't step on me, stood still til she helped me up. He had a pretty bad case of road rash on his left side, I was a hot mess. My sleeve was torn off, there was a big piece of skin hanging off the bridge of my nose, my left eye was already starting to swell shut and I had sand/gravel chips imbedded all over the left side of my face.
    Washed off what I could, little stones clicking in the sink with the blood, called DH, told him we went down and I was going to sit and chill for a little bit.
    As I'm watching the kids go, I start to see double, call DH back and asked him to meet me at the ER (again) I was having one of the dads drive me.
    As they wheel me to the XRAY, the tech asked me if these injuries could be the result of domestic abuse. Still in breeches and boots, I explain what happened. When we got back to the room, the conversation went like this:

DH: Did I hear you ask my wife about domestic abuse?
    Techblushing) We have to ask any female that comes in like that, it's protocol.
    DH: You'll have to ask her boyfriend, I was 30 miles away when this happened.

Thanks honey.

22 members found this post helpful.

My mom was taking pictures while I was XC schooling with my coach. I was wearing my nice FITS full seats, and I took a pretty America's funniest home videos fall (over a drop) right into the water jump. I got up out of the water (bleeding from the gravel, wet, etc...) and the first thing she said when she ran over was: "did you wreck your breeches?!?" Hahahaha ;D
    To ride or not to ride-what a stupid question!
    -Unknown

6 members found this post helpful.

I fell off last year and needed some stitches on my chin and a couple days to recover from a concussion.
    My mom asks me if it's time to give up the horses!!! Thanks, Mom!?
    I'd just bought my dream horse. And I was only 41 so that leaves, I don't know, about 100 years of riding left in my future!!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Responses from my mom range from, "Well, is your horse okay?" to "I'm sure it was your fault. Poor thing. (Obviously referring to the horse.)" From my SO, all I usually get is, "Look at the picture I got! That was awesome!" <--Actual quote from the last time I fell off, landing on my head. At least the wonderful jump judge cared enough to ask if I was ok.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

Fell about a week before my wedding:

Lesson mate: Oh my God, is your face ok???

Guess she was more worried about the photos than my ability to walk down the aisle

First show with my new boots, fell off after finishing my derby course. Hit the fence, broke the post, had to go to the ER to make sure I didn't break ribs or hit any organs too hard. Didn't cry during the entire ordeal, until I looked at my new boots and noticed a tiny tear in the leather. You bet I cried then.

There's always the classic, "again?"; "that was incredibly not graceful"; "how did that even happen?!"
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBobbyMagee View Post
    From my SO, all I usually get is, "Look at the picture I got! That was awesome!" <--Actual quote from the last time I fell off, landing on my head.

My most recent fall, I was the only one around.
    I let my horse canter on a loose rein and the outdoor and indoor were both open to each other. There was a gate perpendicular to the "rail" and in a place where it should not have been, only bungied there. Horse canters right into it, veers left, I fly off over his right shoulder, grabbed the top of the gate with both hands and THUD! gate & I went crashing to the ground.
    The first thing out of my mouth was "I got that on video!!" all sing-songy like. I'd just hit record on my camera. You can't actually *see* me, but you can hear me: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater

Just yesterday my horse decided he was going to have a few bronc fits (don't blame him, I expected it as he's been locked up and I didn't lunge him beforehand, also think it had something to do with using draw reins as part of our warmup) and he puts his head down and gives a few good bucks, nearly unseating me. I grabbed my saddle horn and luckily managed to stay on.

My friend, across the arena, calls out, "Are you okay!?"
    Me: "Yeah!! I stayed on!"
    haha.