The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

This wasn't me or my family... but a friend and I went to watch a local show. We walk up to the pony ring, friend says something about "the kids are looking good today" and one of the pony moms turned around and said "oh we just had one take a dump". Heheh...
    Moms: there is a difference between taking a dump and getting dumped :-)

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonLadyIsis View Post
    from my mother after the latest minor fall "Don't you think you are getting too old for this? Maybe you should take up painting."
    I got that SAME comment from my cousin two days ago! She then demanded to see photographic evidence that I "was any good" (since she could see my scars from my accidents that "proves you suck."

Quote Originally Posted by dreaminOTTB View Post
    I got that SAME comment from my cousin two days ago! She then demanded to see photographic evidence that I "was any good" (since she could see my scars from my accidents that "proves you suck."
    I always invite people who make those comments to climb on an ottb and go jump. Never get any takers, wonder why?

1 members found this post helpful.

My parents were always really cool about falls, despite being non-horsey. Even when I broke my femur when I was 14, my mom just said, "So, are you going to want to quit riding?" I responded, "No, of course not!" And she responded, "Okay, that's fine." My parents later watched me get bucked off into a wall shortly after I returned to riding after the femur break...off of a horse they recently purchased, no less. I don't think they even left the lounge, lol.

I do have a high pain tolerance, so I think things rarely seem like a big deal. Actually, I rode 5 horses one day while I had appendicitis. Later that night, I calmly told my parents that I thought I had appendicitis. They didn't believe me at first, given how calm I was (I was 15). Couple hours later, in the ER and getting that bad boy removed!

Haha, I will never forget one day in HS my mom picking me up at the barn! I get into the car, hadn't told her anything yet, she slowly turns her head, glaring, and said "I know you fell off." and doesn't talk to me until we got home, LOL! I think she was glad to sell that pony.

My non-horsey husband came to a show and took video (was one of the only shows of mine he's come to, he goes to the kids' shows). First two rounds were okay. Last round I was doing my classic "pull on the sainted mare's face until i see some semblance of a distance" routine. Saw a crap distance, asked the mare to ake off. She rightly chose life and went to add a stride. Problem was I'd already taken off. She bonked the top of her head in my gut as I went flying over her. I landed, face first with no landing gear, on the other side. True to Murphy's Law, the hubby got lovely footage of my flight and attempt to drill for oil, FROM THE REAR. Yep, my best angle. And of course he had to show EVERYBODY. Funniest things he said? As the son was asking if I was going to be okay, my DH said, "Let Mom spit the dirt out first, bud, then ask questions." And as he was showing the video to our barn friends, "Here, watch it again. Doesn't she get more air the second time?" Yep, the love runs deep.
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

8 members found this post helpful.

I'm not a very successful eventer, ribbon-wise at least, so imagine my excitement to be in SECOND PLACE after dressage. This is unheard-of. During stadium, the girl in first pulls a rail. We are in FIRST PLACE. Hell is freezing over. My darling mare is a x-c machine, so I am already fantasizing about the prizes this lovely venue hands out. I begin celebrating prematurely with a (small) drink at the trailer before heading out on course. At fence 6, mare and I inexplicably part company. Although I am not hurt, the rules require me to check in with the EMS guys. Cute EMS guy asks "Where did you fall?" and I say "Fence 6! The hanging log by the fenceline! Easiest jump on course! I don't know what happened...". Cute EMS guy rolls his eyes and says "Lady, I'm not your damn coach. Where on your BODY did you fall?!"

12 members found this post helpful.

First fall ever this weekend off my 17+ Percheron gelding. Apparently, he merrily continued on until he got to C, then it occurred to him that I wasn't with him anymore. Gotta love the drafts!

He thought he was in big trouble when he saw my trainer and a couple other people come hauling ass down to the outdoor arena from up the hill.

When I got home (much earlier than DH expected), and he saw me covered in sand, the first thing he said was "Well, you're not wearing your magic pants!" (full-seat breeches).

Thanks, sweetie.
    "Let's face it -- Beezie Madden is NOT looking over her shoulder for me anytime
    soon . . . or ever, even in her worst nightmares."

Member, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

3 members found this post helpful.

After mare protested new saddle, I lost seat, she slammed on brakes (she always does when I'm in danger of falling...) and I popped over her shoulder

From my 4 year old:

Mommy, what did you do to make Kissey flip her back up and flip you off? I laid on her neck baby and tilted forward.

Oh. You shouldn't do that, it made her mad. That wasn't nice. You should go tell her sorry.

11 members found this post helpful.

Over the summer I was getting a pretty green eight year old mare into shape and was working on some lateral work. This mare is an arabian/trakehner cross and very opinionated (typical redhead mare stuff), though normally pretty good if you are fair to her. She had bucked me off the previous fall, but I hadn't really tried to stay with her.

Miss Mare had been bulging into my leg when I asked for a few small leg yields, and since I knew she knew how to do them I put on some small spurs and proceeded with the ride. All was well until she began to resist bending into a particular corner of the field. I did a few circles in there, with Mare resisting more and more until she just took off bucking across the field. I think it was pretty impressive, as I saw a whole lot of the grass and sky in a very short period of time. I lost my stirrups, and then I took hold of the reins and shouted at the top of my lungs a very long and descriptive string of profanities, ending with "I am NOT FALLING OFF YOU TODAY!" I think cussing unleashes my super powers or something because I stayed on despite no stirrups and having almost no contact between my rear and the saddle.

I then make Miss mare gallop over to the corner we were having issues with; she bends into it nice as you please so I trot out and stand by my mother, who was watching int he middle of the field. She looks up at me and said calmly, "I wish I had a camera for that one. I have no idea how you stayed on, you were practically upside down at one point. Did you know she did not one capriole, but three in a row? She almost looked like a rabbit. That would have been a fun one to have on tape. I hope your father did not hear that, though. I haven't ever heard some of those words used together, and I don't think he knows you know them."

I respond with, "Well, I'm twenty so I have had some exposure, Ma. Thanks for the play-by-play. I'm fine by the way." (Horse and I have all issues sorted out and she is probably my favorite riding horse now.)

8 members found this post helpful.

When I was in high school the schooling shows would let us school before the show started. I was the designated rider to get the horses from my barn-program over the scary jumps during schooling, if the horse's 'real' rider couldn't do it in 2-3 tries. Of course once the horse has managed to avoid making the leap a few times, when they finally go they tend to kangaroo-balloon sproing over. Usually I could sit those but not always.

One morning there was a particularly bugaboo jump to school and I came off 3 times, all on different horses (who DID jump it, then and later for the 'real' rider). For the record I had not fallen off for over a year before!

My mother came later to see the show and said:
    "I can tell by your shirt how many times you fell off."

I was walking & talking and clearly fine - I thought that was rather cool - sort of.

Overandonward, that's a funny story. Good for you for getting back on. And back on. And back on.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

My mom videotaped me falling off her horse in a clinic. Her horse wasn't misbehaving, but my horse was off-camera going nuts on a longe line and had convinced the mare that there were monsters around. When a small piece of paper blew up between her front hooves she was sure that was a monster coming to get her and changed from forward to backward mid-step. The replay was actually fairly impressive in her monster evasion tactics. I was on a headset with a clinician and said "yeah, I'm not hanging on this time." To which she responded "Nope" after I hit the ground.

A year later, same clinician, mom isn't taping. My horse was a little wired, but actually starting to relax and behave - until suddenly he wasn't. I had time to have a full conversation with the clinician in the headset before I came off, which started with me saying "This F-er is NOT getting me off!" Finally landed in a mud puddle (in brand new boots) about 40m later. My worrywart mom comes up and says excitedly, "Wow, I wish I had that on video! You would be so impressed you stayed on that long!" I guess it was bad enough she forgot to be worried.

A friend later told me she could hear him bucking from across the property it was so loud...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

These are cracking me up!! Every time I fall off, my dad suggests I take up plowing contests with mules!! Sounds fun, dad! Sure! Same suggestion for over 30 years-gotta love dads!

When I would fall off or when my brother would obviously injure himself on his motorcycle my mom would always say:

"Go take a bath. If it still hurts when you get out we can discuss a trip to the hospital."

Mind you one of these times my brother ran himself over with a motorcycle. Another I had shattered my elbow. But apparently the bath, the bath was going to fix it all!

2 members found this post helpful.

I've had a few head injuries. Yesterday DD said "By the time mom is 68, she'll be drooling'.

And knowing DH and DD, I sometimes worry that if I ever become dependent on them, they will just leave me on the side of the road.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

My horse and I fell at a competition, we were both fine. I called my boyfriend (who is a trainer).

"Layla fell with me, all the way down."
    "Is she ok?!"

(Not "Are YOU ok?" lol)

I guess he figured if anything had happened to me, I would have told him right away? He knew that my concern at that point was about my horse and that I was fine. It was still funny.

I fell of a horse earlier this year (he spooked) and seriously bruised my butt and leg. As I'm leaving to ride the same horse for the first time since my fall, my bf says to me, "don't break your @$& again!" Thanks honey.

Default Best after a fall comment

"Stop, let her drain"

After Jazz put his head down to drink out of the 150 gal water tub in the corner of the ring and the girl fell into the full tub her friend driving her back to the barn would not put her directly into the car. He wanted her to drain a bit.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

It's been a year, and I'm still howling about "Maybe you should breed Pugs."
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG