The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

My two best friends witnessed a lesson where I did a flip over my horses head and onto the ground when he stopped suddenly in front of a jump. Can't remember exact words, but they made numerous comments about how very graceful and beautiful I looked as I did a perfect arch up and over his head - said if I was a gymnast, I would've gotten a perfect "10" for the maneuver.

Another time, I was alone and fell directly onto my left hip. Thankfully didn't break anything, but bruised it so bad I had to go on crutches for a few days. Same friends as above said they were going to buy me an industrial sized roll of bubble wrap so I could have some padding while riding.

My boss at that time saw me on crutches and asked for the story. He said he was going to buy me a case of Charmin and wrap me up like the Charmin Baby everytime I got on my horse from then on.

2 members found this post helpful.

Somewhere at my mom's house there is a video tape of me as an 11 yr old learning to jump. I got left behind and popped loose on the landing. The saintly school horse I was on felt me loosing my balance and stopped after a few slow canter steps, but every step she took I slid further down her side until finally landing in a heap. When I got home from the barn that day, I told my brother that I fell off and it was on video. I cannot even tell you how many times he and his stupid friend watched that clip in slow motion.

After I fell off and landed on my ass at a show my dad told me I needed to work on sticking my landing. (Thanks Dad, that's why I never took up gymnastics!)

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight View Post
    I had some health issues about 6 years ago where I didn't have any platelets and was a bleeder. Fell off and hit my head pretty hard, my father (a former horseman himself!) responded to my request to please call an ambulance with, "you don't want to do that...they will charge you extra." I ended up driving myself to the ER! Thanks pops! ;-)
    ITP?

Not fall related, but riding and doctor related:

I went to the ER with what I was pretty sure was appendicitis in the middle of the night, and was explaining my symptoms to the ER doctor. I told him it started as a general acid-y stomach that morning, but I ignored it and went about my day, cleaning house and riding. I noticed the pain again when I was driving home from the barn, and it was worse, then a bit later progressed to the area where the appendix is located, blah blah blah.

He was skeptical, maybe because I wasn't doubled over when I walked in to the hospital. He then said, "It's unusual to be able to ride a horse when you have appendicitis. I've ridden some and it can be jarring."

I said, "Not if you're doing it right." You should have seen the look on his face .

And yeah, the diagnosis was appendicitis.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

15 members found this post helpful.

Dear Husband's standard response...."If you can't stay on...stay off!!" Thanks!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

5 members found this post helpful.

Falling off is a rare occurrence for me. When it has happened the results from family are boring, standard "be careful". However I was riding one of the greener, younger horses at the barn a couple of months ago and she decided to start bucking like mad. One of the other rider's moms was watching this, and she was freaking out and calling for help and trying to get the trainer to come into the arena, nearly in tears.

I stayed on and did not fall off even though at one point I was hanging halfway off the saddle (I've since figured out how to anticipate and prevent these bucking episodes). I was laughing. The trainer and her come in, and the trainer realizes it's not actually an emergency and laughs it off. The other lady just spent five minutes saying she has no idea how I was "so calm" and kept talking about how horrifying it had been.

3 members found this post helpful.

Little girl falls off pony twice in the same lesson, dad exclaims very loudly... "well, that's what you get for $x thousand dollars!"
    Erin and
    Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

10 members found this post helpful.

Little girl falls off pony twice in the same lesson, dad exclaims very loudly... "well, that's what you get for $x thousand dollars!"
    Erin and
    Instant Karma "Sunny", ShineDown "Liam"

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust the sails."

10 members found this post helpful.

Family doesn't say anything. The people at work.....that's a whole 'nother matter. It doesn't matter how I injure myself, it's always the same question.

The company owner presented me a pink stick unicorn at this year's xmas party.....said that's a whole lot safer and cheaper.

11 members found this post helpful.

My mother is a coach, so this may be why her response is different from most other moms I know.

My brother and I always said we could gauge the severity of any falls by how hard mom was laughing at us.

I was at a show and came off in the warm up ring, landed on the jump, banged up pretty good, medics were called but it was determined I was okay. My mom finally wanders over to the ring and asks who they were calling the medics for.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    ITP?
    Yep...but (knock on wood!!) I've been in remission for 4 years!

4 members found this post helpful.

I broke my collar bone in the summer of 2010, and did not tell my mother for 5 days because I knew she was going to over-react (she hates that I ride because she thinks it is too dangerous). When I finally told her, she said "well I assume you are going to sell that horse now." I said no, that I wasn't selling the horse and she replied "I guess you are just going to keep riding him until he kills you." Thanks, Mom.

I should add, I had never come off of him before the collar bone incident, and have not since. But apparently, according to mother, he is going to be the death of me.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

I fell off last summer and it wasn't bad - sore and banged up but nothing serious. I posted on FB to let barn friends know that I was okay. Something along the lines of, "Well I fell off Petey today but it was mostly my fault. Pretty sore but looks like I'll survive!"

My MIL responded: "You fell off? I wish I had seen it - it was probably funny!"

I just... what? THAT's your first response?

yeeeeeears ago, when i was 10 (twas my birthday, actually) i fell off of this pony who liked to bolt for no reason (may he rest in peace) 3 times (once in ditchwater....in February) on the last day of a loooong 2 day hunt clinic. This mean old lady (who had a mean old horse to match) picked me up and said "Honey, you really can't ride." next year i kicked everyone's butt in the hunterpace.
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Gray horse, so funny! But what kind of brother would he have been if he DIDN'T replay it in slow-mo repeatedly?? It's like a brother requirement in that situation :-)
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

"Do you need to go to the ER? Because I just put the banana bread in the oven and we won't get back in time to take it out."

My mother, bless her heart. She learned not to react to news of a fall unless I said I was hurt
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

13 members found this post helpful.

I didn't fall off, but it was close when horse got a hell of a fright at a show. Ex's mother upon us arriving at her house for dinner that night "Sorry to hear your horse is so stupid"

My Mom's standard response is something along the lines of, "Now, what are you going to do so this doesn't happen again, and, do you need a new helmet?" Mom's accepted that this is something I want to do, and it's dangerous, but wants me to work to be as safe as possible. She also wants to be sure I'm not skimping on my safety gear. My awesome CO AYR8? Courtesy of Mother Dearest. Thanks Mom!

6 members found this post helpful.

Well mum being a very horsey mum responds in the usual, 'are you in hospital?' no 'good, horse alright then?' or 'were you doing something stupid?' that question is always followed with, well I thought it would be fun to…… *shakes head*

Best comment from my trainer when I nearly went over the horses head, 'oh god, not in the mud!!'

1 members found this post helpful.

But the best one was on returning to a local fun show where I had one of the most spectacular falls, I walked into the office and was greeted with 'Anna, hi. We named a trophy after you, are you going to go for it this year?' it's in it's third year now and going strong. It's awarded to whoever has either the most or the funniest fall of the show. At least my name is on a trophy lol

6 members found this post helpful.