The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blanket for Horse with Short Back, Wide Shoulder

Any recommendations for a stable blanket that is cut to fit a compact horse with a fairly wide shoulder/deep chest? He's a Saddlebred, so I prefer something with a V-wither.

Thanks!

I have schneiders briton turnout blanket that I like. It fits my morgan pretty good except I have to tighten up the shoulders because the front is too big for my mare but the length is pretty good. So I think it would work pretty well with a horse that has bigger shoulders.

Only negative I would say is that if your looking for a longer drop sides then that's not the blanket for you.

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...nout-blankets/

Hmm... I wonder if the Amigo XL would work for yours?

http://www.smartpakequine.com/amigo-...out-8721p.aspx

These blankets are cut very wide, not just through the shoulder but over the butt as well. Long drops on the sides so you would be able to order the correct blanket size for your horse without it looking like a mini skirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    Any recommendations for a stable blanket that is cut to fit a compact horse with a fairly wide shoulder/deep chest? He's a Saddlebred, so I prefer something with a V-wither.

Thanks!
    Schneider's without a doubt. They have a line for horses with that upright headset.

Thanks! I have a Schneider's that fit a former horse so it's too big on the new guy. I didn't want to order a new one without knowing how it would fit, proportionately. I've tried a Big D's and it's too tight in the shoulder while too long in the back. I'll give Schnedier's a shot! I do love their blankets and they seem to fit ASBs pretty well.

I just got a cutback turnout from SStack for the husbands mutant foxtrotter. Huge shoulders, upright neck, short back. Fits him great!