The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help me identify this bridle!

I saw THIS bridle on a couple of horses at Culpeper this weekend. It has an extremely cut back crown piece, which would be great for horses with ear issues. I can't seem to find it online. Does anyone know what kind it is? Kevin Babington and Erin Ballard were the ones I saw using them.
    Second picture

1 members found this post helpful.

I came across this type of bridle when looking at anatomic bridles.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/dyon-di...le/p/X1-12852/

Dy'on Difference Bridle
    Last edited by midstride; Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:50 AM. Reason: added

Quote Originally Posted by midstride View Post

Dy'on Difference Bridle
    That was going to be my guess

IMHO, that is sooooo ugly, but I can totally see its purpose. I bet that's really helpful for those with sensitive crowns or ear issues. I wonder if it could be made prettier and more traditional for hunters, it seems as if the crown could be more understated.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by midstride View Post

Dy'on Difference Bridle
    Thanks! I thought they said it was Dy'on, but I obviously didn't search well enough to find this one.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    IMHO, that is sooooo ugly, but I can totally see its purpose. I bet that's really helpful for those with sensitive crowns or ear issues. I wonder if it could be made prettier and more traditional for hunters, it seems as if the crown could be more understated.
    I think it's wicked ugly as well, but there is a GP horse in the barn 18+hh monster to boot) who is silly about his ears and getting the bridle on. My boss and I saw this bridle and both thought it might help with getting his bridle on. We have also had 2 horses that had Aural Plaque, which made bridling difficult - we took the bridles apart to put them on (or just clipped a bit to a halter for a while with one of them!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah616 View Post
    Thanks! I thought they said it was Dy'on, but I obviously didn't search well enough to find this one.

I think it's wicked ugly as well, but there is a GP horse in the barn 18+hh monster to boot) who is silly about his ears and getting the bridle on. My boss and I saw this bridle and both thought it might help with getting his bridle on. We have also had 2 horses that had Aural Plaque, which made bridling difficult - we took the bridles apart to put them on (or just clipped a bit to a halter for a while with one of them!)
    I could see it helping in the Aural Plaque situation, but I'm not sure it would help with a head shy horse. Maybe it just depend on the source of the problem.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I could see it helping in the Aural Plaque situation, but I'm not sure it would help with a head shy horse. Maybe it just depend on the source of the problem.
    He doesn't like having the bridle pulled over his ears, or his ears gently folded forward to go through the crown piece. We think the larger space would help with no part having to fuss with his ears.

He doesn't like having the bridle pulled over his ears, or his ears gently folded forward to go through the crown piece. We think the larger space would help with no part having to fuss with his ears.
    We had a horse like this (he had aural plaque) so we would just undo the crown piece everytime we put the bridle on, this way no ear folding and no pulling the crown piece close to his ears. Worked like a charm and it stopped him freaking out!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

They're wicked ugly and Very expensive. My hunter bridle was $550...without the reins. The matching reins were over $200. I just say it cost me 750, that's bad enough!!

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    We had a horse like this (he had aural plaque) so we would just undo the crown piece everytime we put the bridle on, this way no ear folding and no pulling the crown piece close to his ears. Worked like a charm and it stopped him freaking out!
    How do you do that? Do you take the cheek piece out? How do you deal with the bit?

I tried to do this and I'm getting so sloppy trying to pull the bits up...

Quote Originally Posted by Faye View Post
    How do you do that? Do you take the cheek piece out? How do you deal with the bit?

When we did it we unbuckled the cheek piece, and pulled the crown piece out of the browband. Then once the crown piece was back through the browband, we slipped the bit in the horse's mouth and buckled the cheek piece back up.

I owned a horse that we needed to take apart the bridle to put it on and 30 years later I leased a horse with the same issues. Aural plaque was not a consideration with either horse and in time each allowed us to tack them up in the usual manner although both would not allow men to bridle them.

When we did it we unbuckled the cheek piece, and pulled the crown piece out of the browband. Then once the crown piece was back through the browband, we slipped the bit in the horse's mouth and buckled the cheek piece back up.
    My horses left side is fine, I can slip the crown piece over, and I can unbuckle the cheek piece and throat lash on right side, slip over head, do you think I can do that and then put the bit in and fasten?

Google mule bridles
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

In addition to mule bridles, you can also find the older rolled bridles that were popular in, I think, the saddlebred show ring - they look like dressage bridles but are brown. They buckle at the crown.

I have one with aural plaques, and at first it was really difficult to bridle him. I have an older (renovated) rolled bridle that can unbuckle at the crown, but this is not ideal for a head shy horse because it involves a lot of adjusting/rebuckling behind their polls.

There are a couple of cool mule bridles out there that are okay for english disciplines.

P,S that bridle is uggo!!
    Forward is Good.. Progress is Better
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

I think it wouldbe pretty easy to take the traditional bridle of your choice to a good leather worker and ask them to modify it. You could add padding behind the crown, if desired, and add an understated clip or buckle between the crown and the browband, like a mule bridle.
    That way youd never have to pull anything over the ears

wow, that is so ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Faye View Post

Basically the bit is still attached to the cheek piece but the cheek piece is not attached t the piece that runs through the crown. So you slip the crown over the ears, keeping hold of the bit but not inserting it yet (oh and the cheek piece you undo is closest to you so as you are standing with your back to the horses head like you normally would to put on the bridle it's the left side thats undone); once the crown piece has gone over the horses ears you open up his mouth with your thumb and just put in the bit and voila fasten the cheek piece that is now on your side!

It sounds harder than it is......you really have to do it to see how easy it is and once you get used to it it takes no time at all to put on and you have a much happier horse I will see if I can find a video of it to upload!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
    Basically the bit is still attached to the cheek piece but the cheek piece is not attached t the piece that runs through the crown. So you slip the crown over the ears, keeping hold of the bit but not inserting it yet (oh and the cheek piece you undo is closest to you so as you are standing with your back to the horses head like you normally would to put on the bridle it's the left side thats undone); once the crown piece has gone over the horses ears you open up his mouth with your thumb and just put in the bit and voila fasten the cheek piece that is now on your side!

It sounds harder than it is......you really have to do it to see how easy it is and once you get used to it it takes no time at all to put on and you have a much happier horse I will see if I can find a video of it to upload!
    Love to see a video! I was so dumb. I would do it like you would on a normal horse, bit in, then good side crown piece over ears.
    Then get onto the bad side and try to fuzz with the bit and cheek piece to keep the bit in... holy mess. (OH, and he doesnt even take the bit, so thats another story)....

THANK YOU!