The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

When I was living in Ithaca with a bunch of vet students, we had the skull of Speedy Rodney, a very famous standardbred race horse above our TV. Does that count?
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

1 members found this post helpful.

I met Shadowfax (or the horse that played him) at Equine Affaire a few years back. This was extremely exciting for me, because I'm a nerd. And when I was at the all-day marathon showing of LOTR a couple weeks ago, when Shadowfax first appeared, I squealed, "I KNOW HIM!" a la Buddy the Elf.

I also have petted Jersey Boy's nose, walking past his stall at SBS. These are my only brushes with fame.

2 members found this post helpful.

I had the opportunity to ride In Sync for several months. Quirky would be an understatement, but when that horse jumped...I literally was nothing but a passenger!

I spent close to a year rehabbing a wonderful WB gelding who had suspensory and EPM issues, they weren't sure he'd ever be able to show again...he went on to WIN the junior hunter undersaddle at the end of the year w/ his junior rider and racked up multiple tricolors at some of the biggest shows in the country.

Grey Slipper and I had multiple cuddle sessions at the ring and at the barn, he's one of my favorite horses I've ever encountered.

A friend of mine is a big up and coming grand prix rider w/ some incredible horses, I've ridden them many times. Not going to name drop, but when she becomes famous I'll be first in line for an autograph haha

I groomed for the trainer of the #1 Conformation horse in the Country (not going to give specifics on year, but it was very recent), grooming a conformation horse isn't necessarily a pleasure (I was sometimes assigned to the horse) but being a part of something so awesome is!

I've been incredibly lucky to ride at 2 really wonderful barns that board some of the best horses around

I didn't get to ride him but I did get to groom and bask in Esker Riada's glory before he went to the WEG in Aachen with Werner Geven in '06. He was a lovely horse and I was proud to be a miniscule part of his team
    "Farriers are the hairdressers of the horse world. They know everything about everybody..."-Lildunhorse

Quote Originally Posted by MajMeadowMorgans View Post
    I didn't get to ride him but I did get to groom and bask in Esker Riada's glory before he went to the WEG in Aachen with Werner Geven in '06. He was a lovely horse and I was proud to be a miniscule part of his team
    Esker is a cool horse. I knew him when Linden owned him. Lovely guy.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I've ridden two actually. I started and showed for two years a horse called Mary Mary. While not famous, she did compete in the '84 Olympics for the Japanese team.
    The other one WAS famous. I rode and started San Lucas (Frank Chapot's Olympic horse) over fences when he was 4. I have a picture of me with him but I'm not able to post it here. He was HUGE even then. Also, and I was a young kid and too dumb to reallize it, he was wonderful. Quiet, willing, smart, and easy.

I havent ridden any famous ones but I got to pet on the Hanoverian Stallion Evergreen many years back. I would love to have a get of his.. what a sweet man
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Haven't had the opportunity to ride any famous ones, but I did once pat Cas Ole (who played The Black in the Coppola movie) and got to hang out with Udon quite a bit when my friend was taking lessons at Steffen's farm. I idolized that horse. Still do.
    glimmerling

Member Appaloosa lovers clique

Quote Originally Posted by dacasodivine View Post
    I saw Tammen in person. I was right outside his stall at a preview kind of show at the Galleria in Houston. Patrick Swayze was there, too.

He was gorgeous!
    Tammen or Patrick? (As a kid, used to ice skate with him now and then- Patrick I mean- who knew how he'd grow up?!)

I got to ride Surf, Arabian world champ (which probably means US champ) for three consecutive years in the 60s. And prior to that, a 3-gaited saddle horse world champ- I was maybe 8 or 9 and he packed me around like a plow horse after the trainer rode him to demonstrate his world champion form. I was keenly disappointed that he wouldn't strut for me!.

And I got to hunt Gilhooley's Ghost once, back in the 1970s- a legend in foxhunting and Pony Club circles and I must say, heavenly to ride.

Rode one AHSA hunter champ before he hit the big time, and another after he was working hunter of the year.

Other than that, have gotten to pat Funny Cide (and see others at KHP), saw the USET jumpers at Gladstone back in the day (including Sloopy and Main Spring) and best of all got to see and/or pat all the old 50s tv/cowboy horses- Trigger, Buttermilk, Koko, and more. And the Rifleman's horse was retired to our barn- too arthritic to ride but we did get to play with him now and then.

I met, (although I was advised not to pet), Blackjack, the horse that was used as the riderless horse in President John Kennedys' funeral procession. This was sometime in the late 60s or early 70s. I was visiting my aunt and uncle in Wayne, Pa, right next door to Valley Forge Military Academy and I was told that the Mounties horses were in the stables. I walked in, was given an impromptu tour of the stables by an understanding man in charge, the CMP horses were there for the Devon Horse Show, then we went to a big box stall with a striking black horse and told that he was ornery and would bite. Later, on a visit to see Fort Myer in Virginia, I saw Sergeant York who was used at President Reagan's funeral. I also met and had a very funny conversation with Funny Cide at the Kentucky Horse Park. No rides sadly.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Never rode him, but I did know Sir William Robert (ASB) when he was starting his two year old career.

I was allowed to adopt a lovely old harness raceing gent that was famous in his track days. He made just short of a million dollars and was named 'Ohio Horse of the Year' which is quite an accomplishment. His name "Chrisp Sahbra". I not only ride him but pleasure drive him and, yes, give lots of pats and scritches.

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    I rode Real Quite before he was famous.
    He was my favorite racehorse of all time!!! Did you break him?

Haven't ridden any famous ones but I tacked up Watch Me (not an Olympic horse but pretty well known) at Michael Poulin's barn and pulled braids from Graf George a few years before his Olympics.

Jennifer

I jogged Siberian Express for a week when he was a very green yearling. He grew up to win the French 2000 Guineas and sired In Excess (who sired Indian Charlie, 3rd in the Ky. Derby and sire of champions Uncle Mo, Fleet Indian, etc.).

Also groomed Forego for a couple of months after he was retired, before he went to the Horse Park.

Love reading all your stories! Keep them coming

I am waiting for someone to say they met Genuine Risk, then I am going to go all fangirl on you asking questions
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

No famous horses here, but I did get to lease a Lippizan. Still one of my very favorite horses I've ever ridden.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    Love reading all your stories! Keep them coming

I am waiting for someone to say they met Genuine Risk, then I am going to go all fangirl on you asking questions
    Ok don't freak.. I rode her first colt, Genuine Reward, twice. He was an A$$.

And not nice in the slightest. Ask me about the first mare he bred... my ex worked at the first farm he stood at and witnessed what happened in the shed. Wow... so glad he's a pasture bred stallion now.

Em
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I cannot remember the guy's name for the life of me, but there is a famous Mexican singer that rides Andalusian stallions during his concerts that boarded his stallions at our farm for 4 nights or so while he was doing a concert in Duluth. They described him as "The Garth Brooks of Mexico." Anyway, one of the grooms owned one of the 5 stallions boarded at our place and let us ride him.

DH got to pet the infamously HYPP N/H stallion Kid Clu and the gorgeous ApHC stallion Dreamfinder.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013