The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No. Nor would I pay for a buyer's home inspection if I sold my house and it did not inspect perfect, nor would I pay for a buyer's auto inspection if I sold my car and it did not inspect perfect. I will fully disclose what I know, but I don't have xray vision and if there is something wrong or unusual that is not symptomatic, I have no way of knowing about it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Nope. Not a chance. If I had baseline films they'd be more than welcome to have their DVM look at them at the PPE and decide where to go from there. If I didn't, they'd pay for their own films.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Nope, buyer pays for any pictures or vet stuff. Realistically, the buyer is not going to BELIEVE you with clean x-rays, will be getting MORE x-rays done anyway.

We had a long distance buyer call on a horse, wanted a PPE, and sent a Vet over to do it. They took a LOT of x-rays, had them read at the local Vet College, all came up as Excellent rated. She sent them on to his Vet, who dismissed the CLEAN joints, readings, PPE results, because "horse is over 17H, can't possibly be sound".

Then the FUN part was Guy is STILL WILLING to "take a chance" on our horse and do a trial keeping him 90 days, two states away!! See how he went Foxhunting! Horse was VERY GREEN, unfit, though the kindest and most willing horse you could ask for. The thought of what he would be like at the end of that gave me nightmares! I said no trial, we never let horses off the farm until they are paid for, in full. He was rather unhappy, said we wouldn't get a better offer! THEN he stiffed the Vet for her expenses and cost of films, which was a pretty high cost with so many x-rays. Vet came back to US to get paid for the PPE! We said "Sorry, your contract was with the buyer, not us."

And the funnest part of all? This guy NEVER came in person, never looked at the horse here. We sent some video of what he wanted to see.

This nice horse sold locally, for what we were asking, to a NICE older lady who loves him dearly. She put in the time to make him a SUPERIOR Dressage horse who gets compliments everywhere she takes him. MUCH better ending.

Buyer pays for what they want to learn on a horse. You are wasting money by trying to show them x-rays YOU OWN. They seldom believe what those pictures tell you, will be getting additional x-rays done by their own Vet. And I probably would be the same, if I was buying and not selling. In horse deals, buyer and seller very seldom trust the other at all.

Elfe is online now Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks everybody. It's been a while since I have dealt with selling a horse, wasn't really sure it this is a new way of doing things.
    Whenever I have bought a horse it would have never occurred to me to ask the seller to pay for X-Rays if the horse did not "pass" ! I also know that any vet can find "something" on the most pristine of X-Rays. I am still toying with the idea of getting a set done and making them available, but that might be a waste of money since most buyers would want "their" vet to take and assess them.
    Food for thought !

You did not (nor do you need to) tell us age and price range. If I were considering a horse in the 25k range, being able to review baseline hocks, stifles, and front feet before spending the time and money to travel to try a horse would sweeten things.

Elfe is online now Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfield View Post
    You did not (nor do you need to) tell us age and price range. If I were considering a horse in the 25k range, being able to review baseline hocks, stifles, and front feet before spending the time and money to travel to try a horse would sweeten things.
    Good point !
    I'll look into it.
    Thanks.

Well, I have done radiographs on 3/4 my current horses. I have paid for them all!And shared them (as in, the vet showed them to, did not send them a copy) with the owners. Two were iffy, as in, one had OCD and the other had some not-really-navicular-but-something-off in his right front. In both cases, the owners were great, one came off price quite a bit and the other was just really patient, let me take the pics,chat with my vet, chat with them about the horses history. These were NOT 25k horses, but still, not back yarders either.

I would not pay for a buyer's pics, or PPE, but would pay if I wanted my vet of myself to get a copy. That is indeed in the shopping for horses budget!

Next time I go to the Dr. and are sick will you pay...No Way...the BUYER is asking and paying to obtain information in order to make a determination for THEM to buy the horse..Not you...let them pay let them own and keep it that way...

I'm hearing this suggestion a lot (as in seller pays for vetting if horse 'fails') and think there has never been a less thoughtful procedure suggested. First of all what's tolerable to one vet and buyer could be a big nogo for someone else. Having x-rays on file for a horse you have for sale is all good and nice except that nothing runs old as quickly as veterinary examination results and while it is nice to have older views for comparison, they don't always help and most likely are just one more extra expense.