The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pay For X-Rays: WWYD ?

I have a horse in training and for sale. A potential buyer has requested that if the horse does not X-Ray clean, I (seller) pay for the X-Rays.
    What would you do ?
    Thanks !

I'd probably laugh at them.

A professional should probably find a polite way to say "No. You're bat sh!t crazy."
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

8 members found this post helpful.

"No" is a complete sentence.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

2 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

If I did not have a current set of xrays to offer, I might agree to pay for them if done by my own (trusted) vet. The interpretation of xrays can be very subjective, after all. But I suppose it depends on how badly you want to sell the horse, what other interest you've had from other buyers, and what price point you are talking about.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Uh, no. Sorry.

They can do the vetting. If you wish to get a copy of the results, then yes, you pay for those. But you do not pay for the vet check. Nice of them to try tho!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

If I had a horse for sale and it didn't x-ray clean, I would want the xrays for my own use, so, if the person is just asking me to pay for the xrays, and not the full exam, and the vet they were using was one that I trusted, then I would agree to it. Or maybe agree to pay 80% or something. It could be that this person is tired of paying $1000 to vet horses that keep failing their xrays, and may walk away if you decline to offer this assurance.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

If a horse does not pass a basic PPE, does a seller typically pay for that? X-rays are just a more extensive PPE.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

No but then if the person was a serious buyer and I really wanted to get the horse sold I probably would.

WHat other's have said - no way. However, if you go to the Keeneland Sales, every yearling has Xrays on file, kept in a big office, for all to see. Honestly, if I had a nice enough horse, I would have the Xrays already on hand.

How many x-rays would they want. That can vary so much by buyer. Also, what do they mean by "clean." Do they have to be spotless, not going to happen. If I was going to consider this I would have my vet take some basic x-rays. Buyers could have their vet review them and if they want more or x-rays by their vet, they are on buyer's dime.

4 members found this post helpful.

Some years ago I prepurchased a mare that, as it turned out, had some rotation in her coffin bone. Owner had given my PPE vet films from three years earlier so we had a baseline. When I turned down the mare, owner OFFERED to pay because she wanted to see those. Well, I said OK, of course, but I NEVER had expectation that she would pay.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

five plus figure horse? sure what's a few hundred to get it sold, plus we always had historic files to compare the new ones to.

A fifty cent horse, no way.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    "No" is a complete sentence.
    I feel like this should be a sticky at the top of every board. It would save many posts
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

5 members found this post helpful.

When people make unusual requests like this, it usually is because they aren't serious about the horse in question. Agreeing to do this is a bad idea. Who gets to decide if the xrays are clean? As lucassb said, it can be very subjective.

If the person seemed like a serious and appropriate buyer, and they were making a full-price or close to full-price offer on a 5 figure plus horse, I would offer to have MY vet do a set of screening X-rays and make the films and report available to the buyer.

It would depend on the horse and its price. I do not think it unreasonable to expect a seller to have a set of pre purchase X-rays available on a horse priced at, say $25k and up. I know some trainers with sale type barns won't take a horse unless the seller agrees to this...saves running into issues down the road.

In this case, without knowing specifics on the horse and situation, I'm not able to say what I would do. If I did decide to pay for the x-rays, I would have them done by my own vet and retain the rights to them. And factor the cost of doing them into any price negotiations!

Having been on the buying side with several horses that had bad PPEs, I can understand asking the seller to take some of the risk. Depending on the price, of course.

If I had a high $$ horse for sale, I would have a set of standard X-Rays on file for potential buyers to review with their vet. If they decided to proceed with a PPE, including even more X-Rays, then I would expect them to pay for *everything*. I would not feel obligated in any way to pay for some part of it if the horse did not "pass" because that is such a subjective thing.

If I didn't have X-Rays on file, then I would only pay for them if I wanted to get them from the potential buyer/PPE vet.

Part of horse shopping is budgeting a certain amount for PPEs. Buyers need to understand that. If they are tired of vetting horses that don't "pass" their criteria they need to review their budget.

Hey you "Standard set of X-rays" fans,

Which views are in the StandardPak and how recent?

ETA: My favorite great lameness vet has told me that he liked doing his own radiographs. Not only does he know his machine, but he knows the orientation because he took the bugger. For him, that's key to evaluating joints that are less than perfect. He wants to know what was him and what was the horse.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

That seems ridiculous. If x-rays didn't come back sound and I still wanted the horse I'd try and negotiate a lower price due to risk of injury/soundness, but I wouldn't ask the seller to pay anything.

So how many buyers out there would make decisions based on maybe year old xrays that the seller has to offer?

Most of the time the buyer would have new xrays taken.

So why should sellers bother having an entire set of xrays to show to people who are going to have their own taken anyway?

And what is with people merely inquiring about a horse for the first time asking you to send veterinary records to them when they haven't even had a face-to-face conversation with you?

Just like mvp's favorte great lameness vet, my vet wants his own radiographs, and a full set of about 20 (I don't remember all the views). He knows his machine, he knows the angles and gets exactly what he wants, *and* as he pointed out, there is NO question about the horse being xrayed.

My new horse's seller provided xrays from her pre-purchase only several months prior (in fact, she provided the entire pre-purchase report) and while it was nice to have, and very recent, we still redid it all for confirmation.

I can imagine agreeing to pay for "failing" xrays to give the potential buyer confidence in some circumstances, but I think that paying for PPEs, like commissions, is part of the horse-buying decision.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff