The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To have again,

my cousin's QH palomino gelding that had race breeding. He was the MOST athletic animal and WHAT a brain. To have him now with the things I know now, versus 30 years ago....

my ASB chesnut gelding that I had to put down in Oct. Another amazingly athletic animal, a lot of heart, but a bit neurotic. My hope would be that if he had never been exposed to some of his early experiences, maybe the neurosis wouldn't have been an issue and I would have had an athletic horse with heart.

So I guess my dream horse is a cross between the QH (athlete and brain) with the ASB (athlete and heart).

Quote Originally Posted by jawa View Post
    So I guess my dream horse is a cross between the QH (athlete and brain) with the ASB (athlete and heart).

You know, I almost believe that my current horse (warmblood looking ASB) is a reincarnation of three of my childhood horses. He is mostly my Appaloosa/Ranch horse (with a dose of Anglo Arab) right down to his phobias, metabolism, build and way of going. If "Dusty" had been a registered ASB this is the horse he would have been. Somedays he is like my Appendix QH to the point I can give him a loopy rein, close my eyes and feel I am jogging down the road on "Noble" all over again. He has a strong dose of my cute little 3 gaited Saddlebred (without the clean conscience).

Trouble is, he's like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're going to get.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

1 members found this post helpful.

How interesting..I guess I have had (and still do) my bright bay with a blanket Appy. He's 26 now and has done every thing...from horse trials to team penning. I have always wanted a black and white paint...and now have one. Once he is back from the trainers, he should be the replacement for my old guy...I hope! Of course I want a black arab stallion and a flashy Palamino...I guess I am of a certain vintage. From all the horse books I had a a kid the list would go: andalusian, alke teke, friesian and lipazaner. Oh and a pony like Chitister....(please forgive any spelling mistakes...)

This is the horse I wanted:

http://www.americantrakehner.com/Res...?ID=ORB-B-S540

His owner was my trainer when I was a kid, and he was the most beautiful rose grey gelding I'd ever seen. And he was very sweet. I never rode him, but he was darling to handle when I was all of 12 years old and he was 4. I swore I'd own him one day...

Was very sad to hear he had died at a relatively young age.

I've been fortunate to realize a few of my dreams regarding owning equine but if we're talking pure fantasy and not needing to give up this to have that......well Lippizan and Fjord are two I have yet to own/ride and would love to one day.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Connemara/Arabian cross - 14'2 to 14'3 - Dark dark dapple grey.

I kind of agree with Bluey...as a child, any horse would have done . I ended up with an OTTB, right off the track, as a first horse and have never looked back with regard to owning them. That being said, if I had more financial resources, I think I would like a Cleveland Bay. Never even met one in person, but they come in my favorite horse color, and I think they are neat. I also would like a finished foxhunter.

When my horse is being simple, I think about what it would be like to own a small, forgiving, uncomplicated stock horse, .

a gigantic bay TB named Nebuchadnezzar

Cutie pie pony for my kiddo
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

Just before I got my first pony when I was 12, I was reading Pamela and the Blue Mare. I wanted that horse and I wanted to ride like Pamela. My pony came from our MFH, a strawberry roan I named Frosty Morning, like Pamela's horse. Then I read Pamela and the Blue Mare at the Olympics. I had another horse by then but I was invited one summer to train with the USET program. It didn't work out but I'll always honor that dream and that book because I am still Frosty M.
    Last edited by Frosty M; Dec. 22, 2012 at 07:27 PM.

If I had the money, I would want a 15:2ish made TB foxhunter that would safely carry me around the various hunts on the East Coast. The second one would be a caramel colored palimino blanket app that would trail ride with me all over the place. I am truly blessed to have wonderful horses in my life now, and in my childhood, so I am not complaining, but those two horses are on my dream list.

A piebald
    A skewbald
    A Palomino
    An Appaloosa
    A dapple grey with a white mane and tail

I saw horses like those at some point in my childhood!

Red face

I can honestly say that I have my dream horse and actually have had two other 'dream horses' in my lifetime. I'm blessed. That said, count me in the leopard app group!!!! I actually would fall for a silly fluffy Friesian cross type app like this one www.legacyfriesians.com/mystic.html . This is a rare occurance though! Well, this thread IS about DREAMHORSES, right??

A man that loves families and horses. I have always dreamed of going on family trail rides having all the kids on their own ponies. Taking a day to explore the hills and mountains as a family and camping with them.

I have found the man (maybe ;-) ) but we'll see what the Lord has in store for me. :-)

2 members found this post helpful.

A half Arab sporthorse with amazing athleticism. Any color although I prefer brown wrappers.

A purebred typey little bay Ay-rab with tippy tippy ears and big snorty cute nostrils that loves to go!
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I count my lucky stars to have my dream horse. He is retired and I don't ride him very much any more, but I love his spirit. He lived at home for 9 years and is now boarded at a wonderful farm. He still comes to my whistle with a joyous, "Mommy!" rumbling across the field like a gigantic Labrador Retriever, so happy to see me. He saved my life when I lost my sister and he has been my rock. Love you, my big fella, my dream horse. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97...1219220012.jpg

My dream stable would include:

Bay marble roan appaloosa mare (so far so good, I've got that one)
    Grulla quarter horse mare, about 14.2hh.
    Mule out of a standardbred mare (tried breeding one, but didn't happen)
    Icelandic pony

Arabian
    Morgan
    Lipizzan
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

I always wanted a buckskin or dun - think Dances with Wolves and Man from Snowy River types. I also love the look of Andalusians, Lipizzans, Lusitanos - baroque, baroque, baroque. But I also love the classic beauty of TBs, like those depicted in old English prints. I definitely got super lucky, but also had to wait until I could afford it to get my own horse, so riding lots and lots meant I knew what I liked. My first horse, now mine for 7 years, is a beautiful ladylike bay OTTB mare that will always be my dream horse! My second horse is a weird little rescue dude, but sooooo stinking cute! And he's half Andalusian, half paint, and a tricolor buckskin paint! He fulfills every childhood dream in the looks department! I guess having waited years, I didn't mess around and went right for the dreams!

My future stable will always have an OTTB, and I love bays, but maybe a more blood bay type with more chrome. The "other" will either be a dressage type ASB or maybe a warmblood-like Standardbred that canters. I will only ever do rescues, but nice, athletic, talented rescues.

I long for an icelandic horse.

This is gonna sound monumentally cheesy, but hell, here it goes.

I have two dream horses. My first one and this one.

My first one was a Lusitano stallion who I trained from scratch. I bought him as a 7 year old and he wouldn't even let people into his stall for feeding. He was terrified of everything (and everyone) and would lunge at people.
    I started handling him and bit by bit, with lots of patience, he started trusting me. And from then on it was easy! I taught him to do every classic dressage move possible, from jambette to levade, to whatever, and then I started riding him bridle-less (just a rope around the neck) and he would still perform. Lovely horse, love him to bits. I had him for 8 years and it were the most amazing years of my life, we learned so much from each other...

At age 13 he developed arthritis and he couldn't handle being turned out as one would like, so I eventually made the very hard decision to sell him to a lady who I know will do anything for him. I know he is better off with her, but I can't help to tear up a bit every time I think of him. And yep, it broke my heart.

So, pity party over, my current horse.

A 4 year old hanoverian mare. A true dressage horse, with movement, suplessness and everything you need in an international level horse.

Started off like any other horse I have had between horse one and now, I made the biggest effort not to get too attached thinking one day I'd have to sell her. And it seems she has been making the biggest effort to convince me she really really reaaaally wants to be MY horse!
    She has the best temperament in the world (puppy runs into the arena in her direction, she doesn't even budge) yet unlike most warmbloods I know who just ignore you and want to be in their own space, she actually wants as much love as she can get!

Yep, maybe I won't follow the original plan of selling her as soon as she hits 7...