The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What Horse Have You Always Wanted Someday?

I'm not talking practically. But when you dreamed, as a kid or as a not-so-kid-anymore, what is the one that you have always thought, "Boy, it would be neat to have one of those someday." Forget about whether it fits in your program or your abilities or such. Just wondered if others still remember their "someday" horses who pranced through their dreams in childhood and still think, well, maybe eventually someday . . .

I always wanted:

A Friesian, because they look cool.
    A Welsh pony.
    A leopard appaloosa named Fortissimo.

What's in your dream stable?

1 members found this post helpful.

A Chincoteague pony
    A Black Stallion
    A Mustang

The hooves must clip - clop on the pavement. Annnd the leather on the saddle must be squeaky

I wanted a pony, and I got one when I was 23 He was a re-sale project and an absolute saint. So I probably got off easy!

One horse I've always said I'd get, if I had a farm and lots of money, would be a Belgian with a big blaze. I could see myself driving him around, doing sleigh rides, feeding him apples and petting his beautiful nose.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Oh, but I can tell you the EXACT horse I would've loved to own.

In fact, oddly enough, I had a dream about him last night. LOL His name is Capito. He was imported from the Netherlands by a lovely man I used to ride with in MI. He's involved with the Blue Devil's Horse Platoon out of Dexter MI. They even performed at Rolex in KY.

That horse was one of the coolest horses I've ever ridden. I LITERALLY dream about him on a semi-regular basis. (I feel like I'm cheating on my mare when I dream of him!)

He's of course WAY out of my price range and WAY too classy for me as a semi-beginner English/Dressage/Jumper rider. But riding him was about the most awesome horsey experience I recall in my life. (there was one other--the horse I got one morning and was told I was going to show, never had thrown a leg on before and we won the medal final in my first ever show.)

But anyway. Forget the Black. This is my dream horse. And someday, if I'm lucky, I'll get to have a horse like him.

I remember one day, one of my best rides of all time.....I had actually lost focus for a moment and forgot to look up. He took a pretty big jump instead of sticking to the rail--we were doing flatwork. I'm pretty sure I didn't quit grinning for a day or so.

At 17 3, I had to stand on a block to tack him up. He is/was just the coolest horse. Ever.

What I wouldn't give to have a horse like that.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I was thinking, I have always liked all horses, never wanted for any one special one.
    Lack of imagination, I realize, was always happy with all and any I got to ride.
    I remember some rides as absolutely wonderful ones, but still, any one horse was great just by being a horse, to give a pat or groom or ride.

Sorry, can't pick a favorite horse that would top just being a horse.

2 members found this post helpful.

When I was little, I wanted a big blood bay stallion, with a blaze and two white socks. Named Firebolt

Nowadays, I dream a little more competitively...I want something BIG, with one of those floaty trots that bounces you out of the saddle, a slow motion rockinghorse canter, and a jump that would make Denny E proud. With a big white face, like Biko

Not too much to ask for, is it?

I'm also on the big belgian bandwagon. Just for fun!

In no particular order:

A Kieger mustang
    Leopard Appy crossed with enough TB to make an eventer - a la Fleckin' Awesome
    My aging gelding who I would love to be 5 again, instead of 25.
    Another chestnut gelding with a blaze face and 4 high whites
    Anything dun colored with dorsal stripe, leg barring, spider webbing, etc.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I have a little version of one of my dream ponies. Bay, lots of chrome, super jumper stallion, nice and tall (this guy is small, only 15.3hh and he is a gelding but he has enough stallion qualities to make due)

I also always wanted a gray mare with a black mane and tail and black stockings too :P

For me this is a timely thread.

In my dreams? Probably Rugged Lark or Zips Chocolate Chip.

I have "known" a horse around our local circuit for quite a number of years that I would have loved to call my own. His owner was never really interested in selling him until very recently. One of our boarders lost her horse and had been looking . . . so he came to live with us on Saturday. So I get the best of both worlds, I get to take care of and love on him, and none of the bills
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

3 members found this post helpful.

When I was around 12, I dreamed of having a white horse (literally, it was a dream). When I was 13, I got one. Then I discovered trying to keep it clean. When I was around 30, I rode my first Trakehner. Never dreamed I'd own one but, I now have two (and for a while had 3). Now, my dream is something that is a little smaller and quiet on the trails.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I want a good Park or 3-Gaited Saddlebred. If I were to get really into my "fantasy horse...".... 16-2+ hh, Chestnut with plenty of chrome but no blue eyes.

Prince Thatch xx, or a good facsimile –– since he's no longer around.
    Proud Rubenesquestrian

When I was a kid I wanted The Black.
    Then I wanted a dappled grey filly with black mane, tail and legs.
    Then I wanted one of each:

-Arab-Barb (for trekking)
    -Morgan (had one, loved her, want another one!)
    -Lusitano or one of Mario Lurashi's horses
    -Apaloosa (round, fluffy in winter, sturdy with lots of stamina)
    -Haflinger (until I rode several and decided I didn't like them much after all, lol)

Then I decided that as long as the horse is in the 15-16h range, cute with comfy gaits, people-loving, very forward and willing to do whatever I want (jump-dressage-trails-just putzing around bareback), then that's my dream horse. My current Ottb is very close to those standards.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Friesian
    Dapple grey ASB
    Or ASB with 4 tall whites and a very straight blaze
    Or a cross of these 2 breeds: aka the Georgian Grande

National Velvet's "The Pie" - not the horse in the movie, but the Piebald in the book (mine was an abridged edition with a Piebald in the illustrations). ...and the fields and stone fences of Ireland to jump him across... You did say "dream".

Other than that, have remained happy as all get out with just the bay Thoroughbreds I've owned.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

A Friesan
    A black and white oldenburg mare (more black than white)
    A fjord
    and a Welsh Cob

When I was a kid: any horse.
    Now: the mare I currently have AND Ravel.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Speaking of famous horses, actually, according to my mom, I do own Cigar.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ighlight=cigar

A paint!!

-- A golden palomino. Preferably 16h or higher.
    -- Big black Shire with four white socks and a large blaze.
    -- Grey Irish Draught.
    -- Dark bay Hanoverian.
    -- Cleveland Bay.
    The dude abides ...