The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    That's kinda how I feel. And if you need a place to board in a few years, look us up!!! Ps: you have the Ford Fiesta, right? Still like it??
    Will do! I will have my Bachelors in Accounting done in Dec 2014, that's when I will start horse shopping. I am going straight into an MBA after that but should be fine to have a horse.

Yes, Ike the neon green Ford Fiesta is superfly. I am known for being a huge wailing sissy whenever it gets icy or snowy and this past week Ike has shown that it's a really good choice for slick roads! I go slow but never once felt that horrible out of control careening and lurching like I did with the Ranger. I actually had to ask the guard at the gate at Ft. Lewis if it was icy as I had not had any issues from Yelm to there (it was, "code red road conditions" he said). The gas mileage is great and it is a comfy car to drive long distances. Yeah, I like my car
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would not give you my SSN for a background check. I've known, and know, too many shady peeps in the horse biz to go around handing that out.

Farrier, vet, trainer, former BO reference? Easy. But you don't need to know my credit score to feed my horse and lead him to a turnout. Nor do I get to know yours, and run one on you. As G said, the horse world is quite small. I know a gal who's had the police involved in multiple departures from boarding barns. Wouldn't you rather know she's crazy than know she has a 700 credit rating? Which will most likely affect you down the road?

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    This is all a little bit alarming.

I guess it just goes to show you never really pay a debt to society.... people will go looking for any skeleton in your closet and then judge you for it for life.
    Past behavior is usually a good predictor of future behavior. And I wouldn't want someone that was say, arrested for theft, but served 6 months in jail, at my barn. Not when they have access to tack, etc. Same thing for animal abuse. Or fraud. (too easy to get a hold of checks left for board, farrier, or people's ID's). Or sex offenders. Or drug abusers.
    Someone that had a malicious michief charge because they TP'd a house...ok.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I would not give you my SSN for a background check. I've known, and know, too many shady peeps in the horse biz to go around handing that out.

Farrier, vet, trainer, former BO reference? Easy. But you don't need to know my credit score to feed my horse and lead him to a turnout. Nor do I get to know yours, and run one on you. As G said, the horse world is quite small. I know a gal who's had the police involved in multiple departures from boarding barns. Wouldn't you rather know she's crazy than know she has a 700 credit rating? Which will most likely affect you down the road?
    Nice point about "which kind of dereliction of duty actually will come to matter to a BO?"

If our industry were better regulated, I wouldn't object to formal credit checks and such. But as it stands, there's no protection for the person who gives the SSN and the rest should that be misused.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Nice point about "which kind of dereliction of duty actually will come to matter to a BO?"

If our industry were better regulated, I wouldn't object to formal credit checks and such. But as it stands, there's no protection for the person who gives the SSN and the rest should that be misused.
    There is a website sponsored by Transunion, that will keep your SSAN, DOB and acct #'s private, and just send the credit bureau and criminal background ck to the recipient minus SSAN, DOB, and acct #'s. So there is no risk of your BO having any of that info.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Banks look at a low CC balance on a card that has a high limit as a risk because after they okay the loan the person has the ability to go spend a fortune and then not pay off the loan. That's why once you apply for/obtain a mortgage and before you close on a home, your loan officer will tell you NO SHOPPING! No new credit cards, no cars, no furniture buying, no lawn mower buying, etc.
    I do not ink this is true. It is my understanding that it is desirable to have a high amount of unused credit. Ie, you have a $10k limit but are only using $1,500. It is desirable to have a hi ratio of unused credit to spent credit.

This is why banks take away mortgage offers when they approve a mortgage and suddenly the prospective home buyers spend a ton of their credit at furniture stores. The prospective homebuyer has gone from a person with a desirable ratio, to one with an undesirable ratio.

Having a desirable ratio at first is not a "risk". It is a "positive," which is why you don't want to mess with it by buying up loads of crap all of a sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    This is all a little bit alarming.

I guess it just goes to show you never really pay a debt to society.... people will go looking for any skeleton in your closet and then judge you for it for life.
    I think that's a little harsh. What an individual BO might or might not choose to accept, I'm sure would vary. Personally, if I was the BO, I'd be okay with some things in a person's past, not OK with others, especially if I felt that they might put my other boarders in danger. Would you want to find out that the guy whose horse is next to your child's has been convicted of child molestation? Or that the woman down the aisle has recently stolen and sold expensive items? As a boarder, I'm thinking that's not ok!

If it were something like a late payment on a bill five years ago, or conviction for possession of marijuana 15 years ago when they were in college, it would probably be a different scenario altogether. IMO, it depends on the individual and what and when their indiscretion was.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    There is a website sponsored by Transunion, that will keep your SSAN, DOB and acct #'s private, and just send the credit bureau and criminal background ck to the recipient minus SSAN, DOB, and acct #'s. So there is no risk of your BO having any of that info.
    Good to know! Thanks.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I do not ink this is true. It is my understanding that it is desirable to have a high amount of unused credit.
    Unfortunately yes, it is true. While it sounds good to know someone *can* charge a whole bunch and hasn't, mortgage lenders know if you'd have qualified for that high limit without the person having multiple high limit cards.
    Your available, unused credit is seen as a risk if there's too much of it. IOW, if you have $30k of unused, available credit the bank will add that unused portion to your total numbers. Sometimes that doesn't affect your approval, sometimes it does depending on number totals.
    However a mortgage broker will just tell you to close some of the extra cards with higher limits just until after closing if your available credit is really high. They won't just deny the loan, they'll explain and tell you how to remedy that. It's not that uncommon.
    (was a Realtor)

A credit check can enable a BO to know if a person is liable to ignore bills. It's *very* common for boarders to not pay board or constantly be late with it. BOs really hate that, it screws up their finances through no fault of their own.

However I also fully understand that there's a bunch of nucking futs BOs out there too. And I wouldn't want a credit report copy with my SS# on it in anyone's hands.

Both sides are understandable.

Like with arrest records. Checking at the last barn or vet doesn't tell me enough about a boarder that I may have either around children if it's a lesson/child oriented barn or that I'm inviting onto my property. As stated, if they were arrested for a protest or a single bar fight...no issue. Crap happens. Arrested for multiple past hate crimes? Issue. For me, anyway.

There will always be barns that do these things and barns that don't. Probably at least 10 that don't to every one that does. So there are always options for those who want or don't want that. All in all, we can probably agree that most barns are full of crazy BOs and boarders no matter what.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Honestly, as a boarder I wouldn't want a potential BO to have MY personal information. I've known too many BOs that have turned out to be fraudulent themselves.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

On the flip side - how many of you request w9's from your BO and file a 1099 on the money you have paid them? Since very few barns IMO are a self employment situation, they should be given 1099's from all the boards. Though I doubt very few ever do.

I have no problem with references or criminal checks (regardless of children's presence). Those to me are for the safety of everyone. A credit check for people that cannot or will not provide horse references.

Molly99, can you explain that further? We obviously haven't researched tax stuff yet, so I'm still learning. Do BOs have to give tax paperwork to boarders? And why? I thought if BOs kept their accounting up, they were ok as far as that goes?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Depending on how an individual does their taxes, they can file 1099 for any person or business that they pay for services for the year. If the company is incorporated the 1099's have no impact, but if they are self employed those 1099s are part of the way the IRS knows how much they should be reporting. A boarding facility in may cases is NOT incorporated and many probably should be getting 1099's for the income they receive for services.

But unless an individual itemizes they would never issue 1099's to people or companies.

For me it came into question when my cleaning lady asked me for a 1099. As I paid her in cash, it never occurred to me that she would want a 1099, but she is honest to a fault and her accountant likes all the paperwork she can gather for her taxes. In researching it, I learned that as an individual I can file a 1099 on any company or person that provides me a service during the year.

This topic made wonder if any people do the same for their trainers, etc. Especially since so many are independent contractors by the IRS definition.