The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I do background checks of boarders, especially to check for sex offenders/assault. etc. Last thing I really worry about is not getting paid. That is what small claims is for.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHoney View Post
    A lot can happen--a small business may not store information in an appropriately secure manner or the BO/BM might gossip inappropriately, or a BO/BM might charge someone differently for services knowing that they just bought a two million dollar house or $120K car.
    I've seen this happen so many times it's not funny anymore. I have watched facilities pressure people into buying more and more stuff just because they suspected that person had money. They would knowingly rip-off clients and over-charge because they figured the client could afford it.

And ladyfreckles, I don't know how you get away with not giving your SSN to your employers, they kindof need that, legally, for tax purposes.
    I said I didn't feel comfortable doing it, not that I didn't do it. The point being that if I don't feel comfortable giving someone who's paying me my information why would I pay someone to take my information?

Quote Originally Posted by nashfad View Post
    I do background checks of boarders, especially to check for sex offenders/assault. etc. Last thing I really worry about is not getting paid. That is what small claims is for.
    You are worried that horse owners are going to be sexual assailants who will beat you? I thought there was an online registry of sexual assailants that you could check without doing a full background check.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Sex offender registries are a funny thing and in order to protect the privacy and rights of offenders, states are now removing them after a period of time has gone by or simply leaving them off the registry all together if they didn't meet certain criteria in their evaluations.
    SPACE FOR RENT

1 members found this post helpful.

I would not consent to a credit check...I wouldn't give the information necessary to do one to an individual I don't know that well and excessive credit checks can damage your rating. Worried BOs could do what landlords do here and ask for first, last and security at the time of contract signing, that would be fair enough and protect the BO from someone running out on them without notice.

If the barn was heavily populated with children, I'd be OK with a CORI check, I have one of those done every year anyway, so I'm allowed to volunteer at my son's school.

Now, I'm curious, there were no CORI (criminal background checks) required to work with kids the last time I worked at a barn or taught riding (30+ years ago)...do any states require those for barn workers or instructors at lesson barns? I know they are required for camp counselors of any kind here. If they are requiring them in schools, camps, etc...they probably ought to define a lesson barn (primarily kid oriented) and require it there too. In any event, since boarders would have regular, unsupervised, access to children hanging around a barn, a CORI might be appropriate, I wouldn't object if a BO asked for one.

Probably been said at this point in the thread but unless you do some sort of CIA background check, there are ALL sorts of crazy that won't show up on any background check. We do background checks on ALL of our volunteers (working with children) and there are more than a few w/flawless background checks that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw...they're just whacked.

I second, third, whatever, at this point the references. If a potential boarder is old enough to be entering into a boarding contract there should be at least a few sane folks who will give them a good reference...then again, I know a girl around here that is crazy as the day is long and people are afraid not to give her a good reference b/c she might burn your barn down. There's not a lot of anonymity in the horsey world.

All sides have merit...and BOs who do use more of a background check will still find clients who don't have an issue with it. Those that really aren;t comfortable with that will still easily find barns that don't do that. So it's all in finding the right barn/client for everyone.

FWIW, horse people do tend to have a higher percentage of low credit scores overall. Although mostly due to lots of credit spent and available. (tack shops, lol) I'm not sure folks know that having a lot of available credit has an impact when it comes to getting a mortgage, loan, etc. Banks look at a low CC balance on a card that has a high limit as a risk because after they okay the loan the person has the ability to go spend a fortune and then not pay off the loan. That's why once you apply for/obtain a mortgage and before you close on a home, your loan officer will tell you NO SHOPPING! No new credit cards, no cars, no furniture buying, no lawn mower buying, etc.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I don't give our SS or CC numbers out to our BO, and I have no plans to, either.

Now, the state DVM, our former big bank and one of our big CC companies have all been responsible for losing our SS, DVM, credit and banking numbers out into cyberspace accidentally, and all paid for fraud insurance policies for us for two years each. Now, what restitution is the BO willing to do if his/her personal computer gets hacked and your numbers are in it? If someone uses your SS number to take out a loan, do you get to sue the BO for losing the info in the first place? Is he/she required to provide fraud insurance to you if he/she loses the information to cyberspace? Or are you just SOL for being stupid enough to give it out to begin with? Because, really, I don't recall seeing any fine print in the contract guaranteeing you restitution if anything goes wrong with this sensitive information. And who's to know what secruity they have in place on their own PC's, etc.

Inquiring minds would like to know.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

1 members found this post helpful.

I have not read all the replies, here.

In most places the equine community is really not that big and a few phone calls can generate a basic picture of a potential boarder. Doing a full "Dun and Bradstreet" check (to include a criminal records check) is rather like trying to swat a fly with a sledgehammer. If you hit it you'll damn sure kill the fly; it might also have a negative effect on whatever the fly was sitting on.

The true "oddities" that horse folks have generally don't show up in formal background checks, anyway. I mean, if somebody is into Parelli or rollkur that's not going to be noticed by the general public but will be noted by a barn owner.

In this you have to follow the "Willie Sutton Rule" as applied to information about a potential boarder that bears upon their views on animal husbandry, equitation, etc. While the dollars and cents definitely count that information generally shows up, too.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

2 members found this post helpful.

Giving SS#, credit records etc. seems totally overkill to me in a boarding barn situation. References from previous barns, vets, trainers etc, definitely. As noted previously, usually the local equestrian community is a good barometer...
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I wouldn't consent to a credit check unless it was done by a third-party company, and only then very reluctantly. AS others have said, too many crazy BO's out there to trust with that personal information.

Also, a credit check DOES show up in your credit record. I am refinancing my house and a credit check showed up in my record and it took me a good while to remember what it was for. It was for a car loan company, and the reason it popped up is that I was looking at cars online and trying to find interest rates. I don't recall giving info online to do a credit check but I must have. I wasn't looking for me, but for an older friend who needed help finding a car and figuring out payments (no money out of my pocket, I was helping do the legwork). I had to write a letter of explaination for this as it raised some flags during the refi process.

I would however have no problem providing local referrences - my vet, my farrier, etc. These types of referrences will also show proof that you do actually take care of your horse.

FWIW, my three absolute worst boarder situations, one of which came pretty close to exercising a lien, were all with very wealthy people with impeccable credit.

The first one? Asking for references or working the horseman's network would have prevented me taking them on. The other two were new to horses so references and networking wouldn't have helped but listening to my gut would have kept me out of those situations. There were clear signs that there was going to be trouble that I chose to ignore to my regret later.

My recommendation is references and networking, a good contract and requiring deposits.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    I would not consent to a credit check...I wouldn't give the information necessary to do one to an individual I don't know that well and excessive credit checks can damage your rating. Worried BOs could do what landlords do here and ask for first, last and security at the time of contract signing, that would be fair enough and protect the BO from someone running out on them without notice.

Soft inquiries do NOT affect your credit score. A soft inquiry is one that is done where there is not an extension of credit, like employers, insurance companies, landlords. And there ARE websites where the applicant can fill out the info and it sends the credit bureau to the recipient, but doesn't send personal info like birthdays or acct numbers.

If I had a barn where a big part of my business involved having children around, I would require that state's equivalent of a CORI check (I probably had at least four done on me in MA and one before taking my last job here.) Sex offender registries aren't the be-all and end-all and there are a LOT of things you don't want around children at your business that won't turn up by checking the state's sex offender list. Not knowing who's on your property on a routine basis when you have kids around is asking to gets sued.

I wouldn't be offended by a barn owner doing a background or credit check, but there are easier and better ways to get the information you need. References would be first, followed by a security deposit. Even something as simple as requiring any potential new clients to take X number of lessons with you before they move their horse.

I agree with the above, though, that for certain barns with lots of kids, CORI checks might make sense. Definitely for any instructors or anyone volunteering around the kids.
    An Eventful Life
    beljoeor.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Sex offender registries are a funny thing and in order to protect the privacy and rights of offenders, states are now removing them after a period of time has gone by or simply leaving them off the registry all together if they didn't meet certain criteria in their evaluations.
    And of course, criminals ALWAYS follow the law and ALWAYS register the way they are supposed to, you know. I contacted a guy who was at an elementary school Christmas pageant last week who had two, count 'em, two, felony warrants for failure to register. And he had no kids there. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    If the barn was heavily populated with children, I'd be OK with a CORI check, I have one of those done every year anyway, so I'm allowed to volunteer at my son's school.

Now, I'm curious, there were no CORI (criminal background checks) required to work with kids the last time I worked at a barn or taught riding (30+ years ago)...do any states require those for barn workers or instructors at lesson barns?
    Probably since just about every barn out there doesn't follow the law reference taxes, employees, etc, most barns don't do squat in reference to checks like that either. I know I worked at a barn and did camps and lessons for years in the early 2000s, and never had one.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Not knowing who's on your property on a routine basis when you have kids around is asking to gets sued.
    Not all sex offenses are against children, just as a friendly reminder.

OK, seems like most people are against credit checks, even the soft ones, and probably an even split between you on the background check.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    All sides have merit...and BOs who do use more of a background check will still find clients who don't have an issue with it. Those that really aren;t comfortable with that will still easily find barns that don't do that. So it's all in finding the right barn/client for everyone.
    Sums up my feeling MB. We'll find boarders who don't mind and are probably more relaxed knowing everyone has had the same check. After all, they will be boarding at a barn run by my DH and I when I'm on my "weekend" (I suspect I'll just be the accountant anyways).
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Well, I would consent to a background and credit for boarding. But! I would have higher expectations of the facility, management, fellow boarders,etc., because of that.

I have no issue with a soft check on my credit, it's the same as when you sign up for new cable, utility, or internet service.

I would also be willing to trade a little accounting for board LOL!!!

I really agree that asking around with the vets and farriers is a great way to get info. Interestingly, one trainer who shall not be named that I braid for and is always, always super timely on paying (as is her whole barn!) used to be known over 10 years ago as someone who does not pay her bills. My friends vet to this day recalls when she failed to pay him for some service back in 2001 or so.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

We require references from people now- their current barn, vet/farrier, and personal. You wouldn't believe the number of people who refuse to provide them. No references=find another facility!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Very OT, but this is fair. If Big Brother wants to know lots of stuff and profess to actually, in fact, know that stuff about people, then he needs to fund up and do the job.

To wit: The girl kidnapped in South Lake Tahoe and held for 18 years by a pedophile... while the guy was on parole and had home visits.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Well, I would consent to a background and credit for boarding. But! I would have higher expectations of the facility, management, fellow boarders,etc., because of that.
    That's kinda how I feel. And if you need a place to board in a few years, look us up!!! Ps: you have the Ford Fiesta, right? Still like it??
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

This is all a little bit alarming.

I guess it just goes to show you never really pay a debt to society.... people will go looking for any skeleton in your closet and then judge you for it for life.
    Last edited by saultgirl; Dec. 22, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**