The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question American Saddlebred stallion crossed with a Quarab mare

The stallion, I was told, was a black and white (tobiano pattern) Saddlebred. The mare was a palomino Arabian/Quarter cross and belonged to a family friend. My parents bought me the foal for my 10th birthday, a gorgeous bloodbay, tobiano colt, who we named Cherokee. He is now 13yrs old and unfortunately circumstances arose and I had to rehome him along w several others. He sired 3 fillies out of a bay Quarter horse mare who has the dun factor (has a solid dorsal stripe which she passed to all her foals, 4 total. Bought her 7 months bred), two solid bloodbays, and a loud black and white tobiano who I was fortunate enough to get back from the person she went to. Happy that I have a part of my 1st horse, but I hope some day I can find my Cherokee again.

Anyway, my question is this: is there a particular name that this mix, American Saddlebred/Arabian/Quarter horse, is called? I'm very curious to know 'cause it sure made one beautiful horse.

The only saddlebred cross that is named to my knowlege is the National Show Horse--and that is a Saddlebred/Arab cross

I hate to be a negative Nancy, but WHY did you breed this horse? Just for color? Why was he even kept a stallion? Obviously since there isn't a "name" for this mix-breed, there isn't a registry for it, so why breed it out to another breed at all? Bred to a QH or Arab, you can register the babies as halves since both of those registries have "Half-QH" and "Half-Arab," but the stallion himself? No. Just...no.

Sigh. I'm happy you got part of your horse back, but I just don't get it.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

10 members found this post helpful.

It's called a grade horse.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

16 members found this post helpful.

R.L.

Since I see this is your first post, I thought I would give you just a little warning, people on this board are particular about breeding only purebred horses. You will not receive many positive comments. This thread will turn into a trainwreck very quickly.

On the other hand, if you are trolling, enjoy the fire.

6 members found this post helpful.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by R.L. View Post
    Anyway, my question is this: is there a particular name that this mix, American Saddlebred/Arabian/Quarter horse, is called?
    Heinz 57.

Do you have a picture to post for us?
    Dreaming in Color

2 members found this post helpful.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    It's called a grade horse.
    And apparently now you can register a grade horse: http://www.aghr.com/aghr-main.html

I learn something new every day...
    Dreaming in Color

It's would be classified as a grade horse. And I'm not going to get into the breeding dispute, other then to say, I have almost exactly the same arab/qh/1/2 saddlebred mare that I picked up a few years back - she is a lovely little thing (only 14.2hh) but great. shes very popular with the riding student kids because she's very gentle and super flashy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Another Holiday Troll!
    WHHHEEEEEEE!!!

The American Saddlebred is in the genetic history of many European WB's.

There is a FB page for Saddlebreds and American Saddlebred crosses that might be helpful.

I breed ASB's but I see no sense in crossing them with anything other than an Arab (due to the number of opportunities for showing or endurance riding. I don't personally do the cross

The pony was an ASB stallion on a paint mare, a mostly QH paint mare. supposedly he had provenance at one point to be registered in the half ASB registry, but honestly he's a grade horse.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

American Warmblood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartsongHorses View Post
    R.L.

Since I see this is your first post, I thought I would give you just a little warning, people on this board are particular about breeding only purebred horses. You will not receive many positive comments. This thread will turn into a trainwreck very quickly.

On the other hand, if you are trolling, enjoy the fire.
    I do not find this to be accurate. Particular about breeding horses that exemplify the qualities if their particular breed OR sport, absolutely. Even breeding "purebred" of mediocre quality is irresponsible imho.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by drmgncolor View Post
    And apparently now you can register a grade horse: http://www.aghr.com/aghr-main.html

I learn something new every day...
    A registered grade horse just seems like an oxymoron... What will they think of next?
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Too bad you picked one of the hot button issues to make it your first post -
    don't worry about the comments, as there are many marvellous grde horses out there, and many horrible registered horses. Most of today's breeds are crosses of something, anyway.

I'd never accept that anybody told me how, or when, or who to breed to
    and I have produced some nice horses I think.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Yeah, it's a mutt. I would be curious about the consistency of product, so to speak. Could be really pretty (colors aside) or really ugly, depending on which genes it got from which parent. Did most of the offspring look more like ASBs, Arabs, QH, and did they look like each other, that's the question.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Bred to a QH or Arab, you can register the babies as halves since both of those registries have "Half-QH" and "Half-Arab," but the stallion himself?
    I did not know there was a half QH registry. Had to google it. Looks completely unaffiliated with AQHA though, so not sure how legit it is. The half registries for ASBs and Arabs are at least affiliated with the purebred registry.

I agree on the breeding though. I think a horse should be successful at whatever it was bred to do before it gets the opportunity to pass on its genes, registered or not. A non-registered horse would have to be spectacular (great mind, conformation and at the top of its discipline) for me to even consider breeding. Even then I would probably not breed if I couldn't verify bloodlines on the unregistered horse and if the resulting foal could not be registered with any legit registry, because people seem to place a higher premium on papers than performance in my experience.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by R.L. View Post
    The stallion, I was told, was a black and white (tobiano pattern) Saddlebred. The mare was a palomino Arabian/Quarter cross and belonged to a family friend. My parents bought me the foal for my 10th birthday, a gorgeous bloodbay, tobiano colt, who we named Cherokee. He is now 13yrs old and unfortunately circumstances arose and I had to rehome him along w several others. He sired 3 fillies out of a bay Quarter horse mare who has the dun factor (has a solid dorsal stripe which she passed to all her foals, 4 total. Bought her 7 months bred), two solid bloodbays, and a loud black and white tobiano who I was fortunate enough to get back from the person she went to. Happy that I have a part of my 1st horse, but I hope some day I can find my Cherokee again.

Anyway, my question is this: is there a particular name that this mix, American Saddlebred/Arabian/Quarter horse, is called? I'm very curious to know 'cause it sure made one beautiful horse.
    No, there is no name for that mix. Your Cherokee could have been registered Pinto if you had desired to. APtHA. They have a show circuit in USA and Canada. The Black/white Filly may also be possible to hardship register pinto - I'm not certain the current rules.

Cherokee was also eligible for Half Saddlebred, but now would be prohibitive getting together all the info and signatures required.

Some National Show Horses are 1/2 Saddlebred; and Georgian Grandes are usually 1/2 Saddlebred.

Breeding is expensive; I am glad you were fortunate to get the type, look and movement along with the great temperament you did.

Note that most USEF disciplines and almost all playday/ competitive work disciplines are open to any or NO breed horses. You don't ride the papers and they don't win for you.

Thanks for posting your enjoyment of your horses.

3 members found this post helpful.

I think you could get a very nice horse out of that mix. I think you can get total crap out of registered horses. I don't care about papers nearly as much as I care about what kind of horse is produced. I think you have to look at every horse with a conformation/health eye before you ever look at papers. Papers should be the very good frosting on a very functional cake.

We had an ASH and he was a total fruitcake with questionable conformation. But hey, he could be registered!

Quote Originally Posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
    No, there is no name for that mix. Your Cherokee could have been registered Pinto if you had desired to. APtHA.
    DBS raises a good point. I have known several "grade" horses who were half ASB from APtHA breeding programs (both spotted and solid) that were VERY nice, well conformed, great moving Saddle type horses. Back a few decades, they could still show as 3 gaited, 5 gaited or Pleasure horses as the classes were not yet restricted to registered Saddlebred horses only. I myself mourn the passing of those days.