The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Christmas shopping help for helmet please

Some last minute Christmas shopping for my DD.... I need to replace her schooling helmet. She currently has an older GPA that she has outgrown. Even though I know helmet fit can be difficult I am going to try to surprise her with a new one. She has a "GPA head" and has a GPA Speed-Air as her show helmet and LUFFS it and it fits very well. However, I would like to try to find a less expensive alternative for everyday use.

So please help, if a GPA fits you well - what other less expensive helmets have fit you well too?

Thanks and Merry Christmas everyone!

I find that fit varies not only among brands but among GPA models. Some fit me, some don't. If you want to guarantee fit give her a gift certificate and let her try on until she gets one she likes and that fits.

Why don't you give her a homemade "gift card" to get a new helmet, and than take her to the tack store after the holiday to purchase the actual helmet. Sizing and fit can vary SO much from helmet to helmet, that I wouldn't go out and buy a helmet for anyone unless I was 100% certain about their size in a particular brand.

2 members found this post helpful.

Same, I also have very particular taste in helmets and wouldn't want you to get me something I wouldn't want to wear. But on a side note, I have a GPA speed air head and samshields fit me well.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by c'est moi View Post
    Why don't you give her a homemade "gift card" to get a new helmet, and than take her to the tack store after the holiday to purchase the actual helmet. Sizing and fit can vary SO much from helmet to helmet, that I wouldn't go out and buy a helmet for anyone unless I was 100% certain about their size in a particular brand.
    I think this is a great idea. She has the excitement on Christmas morning of knowing she is getting a new helmet, plus the fun or going with you to try a bunch on, and you'll know that she has the right one for her at the end of the day.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

I would strongly recommend the One K Defender. My bff has very expensive taste and bought a Samshield last year for over $500. Rumor has it these two brands are made in the same facility and when I bought my One K a few months later they were nearly identical in features and quality, except the One K runs in the neighborhood of $230. Low profile, great in the hunter/eq/jumper rings, removable (and replacable) anti-microbial hemet liners, extremely comfortable. I tried on all the big name brands--GPA, IRH, CO when I was helmet shopping but this was the nicest thing I saw. No reason to spend more $$.

My friend loves her GPA SpeedAir and also says her OneK fits her very well.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

It think this is a great idea! Besides, what's more fun than spending a day in the tack store with mom?

This is a great idea! Whenever buying any helmet you need to try it on and ideally compare several sizes, brands and styles. This is so crucial because an improperly fitting helmet does not give the same protection and/or could be uncomfortable. It's a big ticket item and a safety item, so this is one of those purchases where it's wise to make some investment of time and energy to get it right.

Think you can get away with buying another of the same thing? Think again. Twice I have had to replace a helmets within a year and both times I thought I could get away with just ordering the same brand, model, and size...nope, in both cases they had changed something subtle in the design or sizing and I ended up with a different helmet and a different size.

What a great pony mom you are though!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Pony View Post
    It think this is a great idea! Besides, what's more fun than spending a day in the tack store with mom?
    Spending a day in the tack store when you're mom's paying!

But on a more serious note, what a great present! I'd go the route previously suggested of making her a cute "gift card" telling her that she's getting a new helmet, maybe up to a certain dollar amount or something. If you're within a few hours, The Tack Room in Camden, SC is totally worth the drive. They have so many helmet brands and sizes that you're sure to find something that fits your budget and DD's head.
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.