The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Default SPINOFF: Frozen Semen by the Dose - Successes and Failures

This is a spinoff from my other topic about LFG contract and buying by the dose.

In this topic, I'm wondering if people can share their success and failures with frozen semen bought by the dose. And what were some of the factors (mare age, maiden mare, proven mare, stallion fertility stats, etc.).

Thanks!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Of the frozen I have used in the past here are my stats:

3 doses of Wodan frozen = 2 foals
    3 doses of Bri-Mel's Ruhm frozen = 3 foals
    2 doses of Rotspon semen = 2 pregnancies but only 1 foal (mare lost pregnancy by 30 days)
    2 doses of Rascalino = 1 pregnancy (due in 2013)
    1 dose of Heinrich Heine = 1 pregnancy (due in 2013)
    1 dose of Sandakan = 1 foal
    3 doses of Rosario = 0 pregnancies (not sure what went wrong there as we even used more than one mare and cycles were good)
    1 dose of Foundation = 0 pregnancy
    Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
    www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

I'll share. First I have to say that I have an excellent repro vet. So it helps.

Got 1 pregnancy using 1 dose of Brentano II. One cycle. The mare has had her first foal the year before (fresh semen insemination). The mare was 9yo, and this was her 1st time with frozen semen.

Next year, I got 1 pregnancy using 1 dose with Graf Top I. One cycle, on a (if I remember) 8yo mare who foaled a month before of her first foal. It was her first time with frozen semen, the foal who was at her side was with fresh transported semen.

Same year I got no success with 1 dose of Chacco Blue on a mare who took first try with fresh with one cycle almost 3 years in a row. (1 year, then not bred, then the 2 following years). I did not got any success neither with my Daddy Cool dose on the mare who took the year before with Brentano II so easily. But that being said, she didn't took that year at all.

Then, in 2011, we got a pregnancy with 1/2 dose of Fidertanz, first cycle. Same thing with same mare in 2012. That mare is a 1997 model, proven broodmare, but I'm not sure she had been bred with frozen semen before we got her. She is carrying her 9th foal.

Also in 2011, we got a pregnancy 1st try one cycle 1/2 dose of Dauphin, on a 4yo mare who just had foaled her 1st filly weeks before.

In 2012, we got 2 pregnancies with Dauphin each with 1/2 dose, on a 17yo mare who had never been bred with frozen. But the mare lost both time the pregnancy around day 25-30.

So all in all, so far, (touching wood) I am happy with the results.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

It might be helpful for you to post specific stallion you are considering. There used to be a terrific thread about just this information on another BB, which has since been taken down. It included fresh semen stats too. Maybe somebody saved the information, because it was very good.

1 dose Romanov, one pregnancy
    2 doses Denario, one pregnancy (used same cycle)
    1 dose Dauphin, one pregnancy
    2 doses Comic, no pregnancy
    2 doses Hotline, one pregnancy, two different cycles
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I'm not really looking at one specific stallion. It's more overall experiences. Spike's additional information about the mare and if it was her first, third, or sixth foal is also very helpful! I'm just looking at overall success rates and the situation.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Oops, I forgot to add, "Thanks for the information!"

I'm also wondering about maiden mares. Do they do well with frozen? Or is best success with cooled or live cover (not that it's usually an option)?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I've had great luck using frozen on maidens. I am a fan of frozen and have had success with all ages, from 20yo experienced broodies to 3yo maidens. The only problems I've encountered are the mares who have fluid retention problems that are not easily resolved with oxytocin therapy. Luckily, I've only had a couple of mares with that issue and they are happily retired.

Have to add that I have excellent vets which is a huge part of the equation.

My five y.o. maiden is one of my success stories, and I plan on using frozen on a four y.o. maiden this year. Equine-reproduction.com is a wealth of information about all things reproduction, so check out their articles, too. If you do a search, there was an article published somewhere last year that broke down by age of mare the statistical success rates of frozen.

And yes, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to have a good reproduction vet if you are using frozen.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I used frozen on a 3yo maiden last year and she settled on the first try. We used two doses because we followed the SBS 2-dose protocol (although my vet had a gut feeling we could have gotten away with using that first dose).

I could have sworn someone made up a spreadsheet of the information from that other bb. Can't remember who, though. Which stallion(s) do you want to know about, particularly? Chances are someone here has used him, so you may as well just ask.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook