The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CinchChix or Freedom Feeder for 1/2 bale up to square bale size

Which do you prefer?

I have been looking at the CinchChix nets and they look pretty good.

I can fit about 20 lbs (1/2 square bale) in a small hole hay net from Chick's Saddlery. I know this wasn't your question, but they are less expensive than the ones you mentioned, and can fit the amount of hay that you would like.

For a whole bale, those wouldn't work, but 1/2 bale, definitely.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I like the whole bale Cinchchix nets for my run-ins because you can put the bale in there and cut the strings after it is hanging. That takes a lot less time that stuffing flake by flake. And I only have to do it every other day.

If I were in a stall situation I would get XL Nibblenets. I have those in all my stalls and they are the easiest to operate. it takes me an extra 30 seconds to load them -- carry hay in stall, unsnap front half of NN, drop hay in, snap. So easy. I don't even have to take them off the wall.

I have 2 freedom feeders as well and they developed holes within the first week of use. They are not sturdy enough, IMO.

I am guessing the 1 1/4 hole size on the cinchchix would be a good size for slowing things down but not totally stalling the eating?

I have the California Bale size CC net. It will hold 1 1/2 square bales and is very very tough.

I've had the Freedom Feeder nets and they just don't hold up as well to tearing teeth.

If you go with the CC Net, tell 'em No. 92 sent ya!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I have had good luck with both CC and Freedom feeder nets. Both have held up well.

Freedom Feeders are way easier to load and once the horses get used to the slow feed system, they hold up well. I did have a couple holes when first introduced, they were easy to patch, and have held up since. When the horses are first using nets they are harder on them until they figure out pulling they hay through. The CC is heavier duty netting, but harder to fill. To the point that husband refused to use the CC but is happy to use freedom feeders. We now have freedom feeder extended day in our stalls and have made big portable slow feeders for turnout out of Equine Hay Baskets and hockey netting. These hold four bales at a time and are easy to fill. I've also used the SMHN from Chick's, Dovers, and Nibblenets. All of those wore out over time and none are as easy for us to fill as the FF Extended Day and out big hay baskets.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

IF I go with CinchChix, what size hole?

Badger I LOVE your hay feeders you posted on the other thread. Those are fantastic.

I just received by Cinchchix.

I bought minis and small (minis fit 1/2 bales and small fits an entire bale).

I went with the 1 inch holes.

I am so incredibly impressed with the ease and quality of these nets!

They have literally changed my life!

I bought two of these:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tuff-st...0-gal--2229862

One of my square bales fits nicely inside.

I drilled drainage holes and attached a zip tie with a ring so I could attach the net (if needed) as it gets less full.

My horses had no issues with the 1 inch holes and the size DOES slow them down enough where they can slow graze all day long without consuming too much hay.

This set up is tidy and seems to allow for almost no hay waste.

As the bag nears empty, I hang it on an adjoining tree (so the net is not all lumped up)...and then toss in another full bale!

Hands down the best nets on the market.

Just wanted to offer an update!

2 members found this post helpful.