The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SmartPak Lined Leathers

Who has them?

It looks like the brown leathers come in a 48" or 54". I'm short (5'3") and ride with short leathers for jumping. Any suggestions on which size?

How is the quality for the price?

Have them on my dressage saddle & love them! They are very soft (why I bought them), cheap, and come in sizes good for my short legs

ETA: Unfortunately, because these leathers are on my dressage saddle, they don't get a ton of use. I'm going to try to remedy that in the new year . I can't speak to their longevity.
    Last edited by FoxChaser; Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:38 PM.
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I have them and they are ok, replaced them with Passier from Equus Now at $79, much nicer for the money. The SP leathers had some issues with the hole placement which I think they corrected.

BFF got brown ones -- dye rubbed off and leather fell apart. Had she contacted SmartPak, I'm sure they would have replaced them, but perhaps they've corrected that issue, as I know that wasn't an isolated incident. I have their girths and blankets and love them, so perhaps it was just a bad run.

Wildlifer -that doesn't sound great. I may try them just because of the price...as I would imagine SmartPak would take them back if I had issues.

However, I have a catalog on the way from Bartville tack so I will look at them first

I have the 48" Black ones for my jumping saddle. I think they are very good quality for the money. I had Mundy Leathers before that did not hold up well. My tack isn't lucky enough to live in a heated or cooled tack room. I will say that as far as sizing goes, I'm 5'4" and ride on the very last hole for XC but drop 1 for stadium. Can't say I've noticed any color rubbing off since my saddle is black and I always wear tall boots when I ride. I would definitely buy them again.
    Things happen for a reason...so when I reach over and smack you upside the head, just remember...you gave me a reason!

I have the Black in, I think, 54" for my dressage saddle, and had to punch extra holes in them (story of my life!) I'm 5'3 and ride pretty short for everything.

They are terrible. A barnmate has them on her saddle and similar to wildlifer's friend, the dye is rubbing off and the leather is poor quality. Compared to how nice most of SmartPak's stuff is, these are a serious disappointment.

I actually ordered a pair prior to seeing hers (I thought, "how bad can they be?") but I immediately sent them back upon seeing the quality. It's worth spending $40 for the M. Toulouse leathers.

Quote Originally Posted by MtyMax View Post
    Who has them?

It looks like the brown leathers come in a 48" or 54". I'm short (5'3") and ride with short leathers for jumping. Any suggestions on which size?

How is the quality for the price?
    I am not sure if mine are lined or not, I bought them about a year ago and a lot of the color had rubbed off. The leather has a real plasticy feel to them IMO. Other than that they have held up really well, though I do long for a nicer pair.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I have the brown ones and the dye rubbed off.
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham