The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blizzard

Is anyone in the path of the storm/blizzard? Hope everything is well. We're on the warm, southern edge so mostly rain and then a bit of snow tomorrow.

Hope you're all doing okay!

We lost power here for about 3 hours, so not too bad.

Horses decided to hang out in the run-in for most of the morning, but apparently got bored and entertained themselves by throwing the loose salt out all over the place.

Had to turn off the bottom wire of the electric fence, since it's completely buried under the snow, so my biggest concern is that Lola (one of the sheep) will decide to go visit the neighbors. But in the whole scheme of things, that's really not too bad.

As far as I can tell, my nearby friends and family are all doing well. Some of them have had some structural damage to things like a porch and a chicken run from tree limbs falling, but no bodily harm, so that's good.

Hope everyone else is weathering the storm at least as well!
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

1 members found this post helpful.

I never lost power here, but my husband had to go into work. He said it was extremely treacherous. I am hoping his journey back home will be uneventful, despite it being nasty outside.

My horses are boarded out and I didn't dare go see how they were fairing, but glad they are in good, competent hands. I did make sure they are all snuggled up in warm blankets for this wind that's ripping through.

Here is my big lab out in the snow. Mind you, this is a couple inches ago...
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...67562118_n.jpg

There are about 3 days all year that I don't go to the barn because of weather, and this was one of them. And, this is the first winter since the mid 90's that all my horses are inside in bad weather - can't believe how much better I sleep at night! We got the really wet stuff here in madison and I shoveled three times because it was so heavy. Now the wind coming off the lake is incredible, but nothing new is falling out of the sky. Back to work for most people tomorrow.

Over on the other side of town the power is out. I can hear the wind howling but still 41 and raining. Some models predict us getting a foot of snow. If so it will start tomorrow afternoon.

watch your roof tops!

if the stuff is wt and heavy....pancaked barns are no fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Supposed to get in the low 20's here in Central Texas and everyone is freaking out, lol. Hope you guys up north are safe and warm. Oh, and could you please send some of that moisture down here? Bone dry and apparently headed into our 5th out of 6 years in drought.
    "When a president can pick and choose which laws to follow and which to ignore, he is no longer a president. " Ted Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by kathy s. View Post
    Supposed to get in the low 20's here in Central Texas and everyone is freaking out, lol. Hope you guys up north are safe and warm. Oh, and could you please send some of that moisture down here? Bone dry and apparently headed into our 5th out of 6 years in drought.
    yes we were threatened with low twenties, high teens .... but woke up to 36F ... wonder where those weather dudes were looking

1 members found this post helpful.

We were 16F and had ice to break, after a dust storm black outs, with a pile up of 26 cars in the highway that killed one.

Electricity was out, but our generator kicked in until it was back.
    Our neighbor had some important work going on that needed electricity and called about coming over to do it here.

Our cattleguard with a gate over it was a solid tumbleweed drift about 6' high and 60'+ wide.
    Had to go back home to get a pitchfork to clear it to open it.
    We had a dusting of snow on top of it.

We have another such coming Christmas day, with a chance of real snow then.

Winter fun is here!

Glad to hear that everyone is safe and just dealing with it.

We finally got below freezing with about an inch of wet snow that froze. Winds are howling. I'm sure I'll put the boys out for a few hours but they're not going to like it. They are being fed inside this morning by darling daughter before she goes to work (with her bronchitis). DH and I will go over later for turnout and cleaning.

Doesn't look like we're going to get any measureable snow for a while yeat. :-(

Please send some snow this way for a white Christmas. All we are getting is rain and wind.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Over on the other side of town the power is out. I can hear the wind howling but still 41 and raining. Some models predict us getting a foot of snow. If so it will start tomorrow afternoon.
    Yep, I heard the wind howling last night and actually shut the horses in their stalls to stay dry. It's snowing this AM but so far nothing is sticking. It's supposed to get nasty tonight (Fri) to Sat nite. As long as we don't lose power, I'll be happy. Gotta call the whole house generator guy that I'm definitely having them put one in and I hope that I never need it.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

We got easily a foot of snow. Probably more. The roads were horrible and it was a scary drive home yesterday and to work today!

The snow drifts are almost 2 feet and everyone has forgotten how to drive.

Got my car stuck at the end of my driveway and was late for work.

Fell down the deck steps this morning because I misjudged where the first step was, because it was all just a big mountain of snow. The deck that I shoveled 3 times last night.

Thought I was going to die of exhaustion carrying hay out to the shelter.

Spent 2 hours clearing snow last night and will have to do it all over again tonight. Hooray for his & her snowblowers.

Hopefully no one stops by for a surprise christmas visit this weekend because no housework has been done in 3 days now (which is enough to cause complete chaos in my house!).

Other than that, things are good
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Since we're from the land of snow but typically not wind, the only things that weren't ok were our snoopy and peanuts christmas decorations. The wind tipped one over and snoopy's dog house lost a panel...

Other than that just wicked deep drifts covering the ice from the rain the previous weekend that mostly melted the 15 inches of snow from the weekend before that... ugh,... winter

These may be my famous last words, but....

The light snow is absorbing into the wet ground as fast as it falls, the wind has died down, and the radar seems to imply this will continue. I may actually get to ride tomorrow.

These may be my famous last words, but....

The light snow is absorbing into the wet ground as fast as it falls, the wind has died down, and the radar seems to imply this will continue. I may actually get to ride tomorrow.
    I wish you luck getting in a ride.

Snowed all day here but none stuck. Not doing anything right now but forecast is pretty awful. But then again, the first significant snowfall usually is anyway. I honestly do wish we'd get some snow to cover the mud. My sacrifice paddocks are really greasy.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

It is beginning to stick now despite being 35* out. Roads are wet and sloppy. I may get a ride on the shoulder of the road. We'll see. I hate to go out if there's even a chance they are salting. A snow plow is NOT something I want to face on this horse. Even if I can get off into the field for it to pass.

Our area (eastern IA) was supposed to get a lot more snow than we ended up with. But the winds were really impressive. I had the horses inside overnight, but let them out for yesterday (but they had free access to go inside). Here's Scarlett O'Hairy tucking herself up as close as she can get to the barn to get out of that wind. I might have felt sorry for her but, um, pony, you are standing between two wide open barn doors.
    http://s1280.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

It is beginning to stick now despite being 35* out. Roads are wet and sloppy. I may get a ride on the shoulder of the road. We'll see. I hate to go out if there's even a chance they are salting. A snow plow is NOT something I want to face on this horse. Even if I can get off into the field for it to pass.
    I just came in from walking the dog and doing the horses (~8PM) and the snow plow/salt truck just went by. Nothing to plow but, yes, they are salting. Forecast around here is for it to ease up by Sat afternoon.

I'll think of you tomorrow and hope you can get a ride in during the afternoon.

Hey, we've been been very, very, very lucky not to have had any measureable snow up to this point.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    Our area (eastern IA) was supposed to get a lot more snow than we ended up with. But the winds were really impressive. I had the horses inside overnight, but let them out for yesterday (but they had free access to go inside). Here's Scarlett O'Hairy tucking herself up as close as she can get to the barn to get out of that wind. I might have felt sorry for her but, um, pony, you are standing between two wide open barn doors.
    http://s1280.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0
    Awesome pic! I am laughing...
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.