The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB Saddle Suggestions

Any suggestions for saddles in the 1500-2000$ range, in Canada as I've found shipping across the border for trials to be wayy too pricey, (would prefer higher quality used over lower quality new!) saddles to fit thoroughbreds? The issues I've been having with my guy is that saddles that clear his (nearly sharkfin) withers are too tight in the shoulder/pinch/slide back, while saddles that sit properly everywhere else don't clear his withers, and when I add a wither relief pad the fit is immediately off again. Can get a picture of his back if it would be helpful!
    Thanks!

I've got an Amerigo DJ on my TB with good-size withers and big shoulders. Not sure if you'll find one in your price range as the ones I've seen tend to be around the $2500 mark give or take.

The panels are a bit curvier than his actual back shape, but he really seems to like this saddle and it doesn't rock.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Should have mentioned- we tried 7 different Amerigo saddles on him, he hated every one! Must be the tree shape or something, he was cranky the second it landed on his back. I've heard good things about the Bates Caprilli in regards to thoroughbreds- normally I don't buy into Cair or adjustable gullets but I've read nothing but good reviews on these, any opinions?

I have an ADT Gazelle and I really like it - my guy is a TB and I ride a lot of them at my barn and haven't had trouble with it fitting them. It might be a little over 2k though as I'm not sure exactly what they sell for.

My old TB mare wears a Stubben Portos. Its got a pretty high pommel on it. Its technically a polo saddle (so it has no blocks on it), but I jump in it just fine. It was made for TB polo ponies (which my mare was back in the day).

I recently got a used Bates Caprilli Eventer. I really like how it fits in the withers area. I've only used it so far on a new OTTB who could use a bit of weight. The CAIR is currently set at the medium-narrow, which works just fine and will probably suit my other TB as well. The saddle is comfortable for me as well. The only thing I might worry about is the shape of the panels. It seems possible that there may be pressure points over the back depending on how the horse is shaped ...
    Last edited by CharingHounds; Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: left a word out

I have a Bates Caprilli that I absolutely love for My OTTB. Narrow withers, large shoulder.

I have both an older caprilli (about 12 years old) and a never Bates elevation. My OTTBs back is a little straighter and he loves the elevation. The older caprillis. although excellent in quality were for very curvy backs (which is awesome for my other horse). The newer Caprillis seem to fit a lot of the TBs at our barn pretty well.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

I have a TB with what sounds like similar conformation. The best closest fit that I found after trying MANY saddles was a CWD. He loves it, I love it! Win-Win. The other one that fit him well but I couldn't quite get the feel for was a Passier. It had a semi-cut back pommel and was nice in the shoulder for him. It was way too wide feeling through the twist for me and was a bit on the hard side! haha!
    Good luck!

What type of back does he have?

I guess I'll be the odd one out and the Bates was HORRIBLE for both of my hard to fit TB's. The XW still was slightly tight in the shoulder, and the shape was completely wrong with the back of the saddle lifted up on both horses.

Albion's fit my guys well, but not me, The Toulouse Jennine (double leather though...) fit them but not me.

My Tad so far has fit every horse I've tried it on...from a rail thin dainty TB, smaller chunky TB, and both of the "hard fit" horses...plus my knee actually fits on the flap!

"Normal" fit TB,
    I actually sold him and his new owner just bought a tad since she couldn't believe the difference between him with her Crosby and him with my Tad.

Dainty Mare

PITA sensitive princess mare (insists on the Tad...she's a devil child in everything else).

Curvy backs, massive shoulder, mild roach TB gelding

I also have a bunch of QH's and Paints that do nicely in it.

bate's on Gelding (I wasn't allowed to girth it up for some reason...and didn't think the fit was close enough to risk it).

Bate's on Mare

Pessoas work great on my TB and on many of the other TBs in my barn. I have a high-withered, flat-backed guy.
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I just had this problem with my Tb. My saddle was too tight at his shoulders. Saddle fitter helped pick out a International Intrepid Arwen . Huge difference . it is not an expensive saddle, fits great and his shoulders have room now.

My tall TB warmblood cross is Very hard to fit. I have collected saddles over the years as I have owned different horses and most needed a new saddle just for them. The one saddle however that has fit a lot of the horses I have had is my berney bros saddle. They are made in ireland but there are a number of them here. I got mine second hand when I was eventing. But now I use it for stadium jumping on my tall (17'2) guy who also has shark fin withers. I had the saddle refitted for him - which essentially involved adding some additional stuffing to it (and it had been almost 10 yrs since I had it fitted the last time). I love the saddle to jump in - it has a nice knee roll and its a comfortable saddle for me as well. I use it to ride up and down some steep mountains in addition to jumping. Berney also will make one of their saddles custom to fit your horse - they have a guide for the tracing of your horses back that you send them and they guarentee to it fit. google them - they have a good website that describes the process.

I find the older butets and crosby's fit thoroughbreds well. You may be able to find an older butet in the $1500-2000 range. You for sure will be able to find a crosby (lots flat, and there are some with knee rolls etc).

Older bates tend to fit them well too, but the newer ones I find are built a little wider.

I could never get my Bates to fit my TB properly. His shoulder needed at least the MW gullet (sometimes the W) but it bridged horribly and didn't give enough wither clearance. The chiro/saddle fitter's words after seeing it on him for about 30 seconds....."just take it off, we can't make that fit."

My old Crosby was a good choice for a while before he muscled up, and he now happily goes in a Stubben. Another saddle that I LOVED but wasn't wide enough for him was an Ainsley. The shape was very nice for him, just overall too narrow.

Billiebob, that was exactly the same experience that I had with my Bates saddle and my current TB! That was also the basically the same reaction that my saddlefitter had, in fact, she told me to just sell it.

I am still trying to find something that will work with for him, though I did get some great suggestions from another Cother.

I love my Bates Caprilli, and it fit my TB like it was made for her. Not sure we'll be able to pull it off with my new WB mare but I sure hope so because I love that saddle. (Actually I have two of them, I liked it so much. One with the regular tree in it, and one with a wider tree for my paint mare).

7 Amerigos or not, none are likely in your price range unless you can find a used one.

Have you tried visiting Baker's Saddlery- (I'm assuming possibly because of trying so many Amerigos)- I loved my older model Delgrange PJ, there is also a few used Devocoux's which I have found can fit a narrower horse a bit better then the big warmblood type saddles.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensaga View Post
    Any suggestions for saddles in the 1500-2000$ range, in Canada as I've found shipping across the border for trials to be wayy too pricey, (would prefer higher quality used over lower quality new!) saddles to fit thoroughbreds? The issues I've been having with my guy is that saddles that clear his (nearly sharkfin) withers are too tight in the shoulder/pinch/slide back, while saddles that sit properly everywhere else don't clear his withers, and when I add a wither relief pad the fit is immediately off again. Can get a picture of his back if it would be helpful!
    Thanks!

Did you speak with
    BILL PERRATT, Master Saddler
    of the Society of Master Saddlers

Cell: 403 512 0671
    saddles@equi-products.com
    He really does know his stuff, though some are not keen on his people-skills
    Bill glances at horse casually, selects 3 saddles out of the multitude, suggests rider trial these & no point in trying any of the others ... if pressed, states that it will be a waste of time

If you can find some used County saddles to try, several of their different models are great TB saddles. I have an Innovation that fits my TB perfectly.

If you find a Bates you like (cheaper than a County!), you can get the air pockets taken out and have it reflocked with wool by a good saddlefitter. This has made a huge difference for me with my other horse, as well as a couple of friends who use them on their TBs. You can customize the fit better and the saddle won't pivot on the horse's back (which is what my Caprilli did on my old TB before I got him a County).
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil