The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Another red mare!

SO and I adopted a new horse yesterday.

Meet Dream:http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7409baec.jpg. She's the one on the right. My other mare Zilla is on the left.

Dream is a +/- 27 year old chestnut quarter horse mare. She only looks about 16-18, has great feet and is an easy keeper. Her pony companion of many years died early Wednesday morning; Dream was extremely upset, pacing and whinnying for hours after he died.

Her owners had heard that we were looking for a companion horse for my mare, and they offered us Dream. Zilla was able to settle Dream down, and by the time I got home from work last night they were hanging out and eating together (Zilla is food agressive and a pig, so them eating together made me super happy).
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

5 members found this post helpful.

Congratulations! How nice to be able to match your need for a companion horse with Dream's need for a friend.

2 members found this post helpful.

Aww, that's awesome. Everybody's happy again. I was getting depressed from various threads, so this one was much needed.

1 members found this post helpful.

It is definitely bittersweet. Dream and Taffy (the pony) were owned by neighbors of ours. They just lost a cat last week, too, so it's been a rough Christmas season for them.

I'm glad we're able to provide a nice retirement for Dream, where her former people can come visit her. She's not sound for riding, her "job" is going to be eating treats and bossing everybody around.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Win/Win. Awesome.

They are both very cute
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05