The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bridle Size for a tb?

What would be an average size for a tb? Cob or full? Also, whats the average saddle with for a tb? reg or wide?

Well how average is your TB

I have owned a few TBs, one took a medium narrow, some took a regular tree, and one took a medium wide. Of course the SHAPE of the tree makes a difference as well.

Mine wore regular horse sized bridles, but they were all 16.2 and over. If you have a petite 15 hand TB they may take a cob sized bridle, they may not.

The individual horse will dictate what size tack it needs, not the breed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, my boy is 15.2 and teeny He wears a cob sized bridle/halter, 48" girth, and a medium tree. The County rep fitted him in a med-narrow tree, but that's not in the budget yet

Most of the TBs I've known or owned have either gone in cobs, or the top of a horse size. I have known a few that really wore horse size, but they were all big kids...16.2 or bigger (though, I do know a 16.2 guy who also wears a cob).

Saddles are all over the place. Narrow to wide.

It's really too variable to say. Most likely "full" but it really depends how big his head is.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

My girl takes a full with a not quite oversized browband. She's got a large head though and also takes a 5.5" bit, 52" girth, wide tree, 80" blanket. She's 16.1 but getting close to 16.2...she's just a solid girl.

Depends on the horse, the 4 TB's I've had have ranged from cob-oversize, narrow to medium wide trees. The smallest horse had the widest tree.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Mine takes a cob Edgewood with a full sized cheek. Regular/full halter or it won't fit over his cheek. 48/50 girth, 15.3, wears horse sized boots.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

My current one: cob. My last one: oversize. Depends on the horse!

I have a 16.1h tb and my ADT Imperial bridle is an O/S and fits him with about a whole or two to go tighter (it was from my 17.2h wb and he doesn't have a huge head so I was pleasantly surprised it fit.) I also have a Harmon Kraft bridle that I think is full and it fits him perfectly.

My saddle, also ADT, is a regular and works for him.

My mare is 16.2, she takes a tiny cob bridle, and fits nicely in a 30 year old hermes which is fairly narrow by todays standards.

Well, on the current roster of TBs I ride:

one goes in a narrow saddle, horse size bridle
    two go in a medium saddle, cob size bridle
    two go in a medium saddle, horse size bridle

There is no average TB.

Most of mine have gone in cob sized. My last TB was 16.3 and still needed a cob!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I find it depends on the make and sometimes the model of the bridle, as well as on the horse. I recently bought two full-sized Jeffries bridles for my two TBs. The one for the gelding (16.0) fit off the rack, the other for the mare (16.2) had to be adjusted (cheekpieces shortened).

Both horses take a medium wide County (dressage) saddle. A 54" girth I bought recently for my AP saddle is on the small side for them.

My TB is 16.3 and has fit exactly on the middle holes of every cob sized bridle I've tried, 52-54" girth with the jumping saddle, and saddle "size" depends on the saddle - mediums, medium-wides, wides. I think medium wide would be typical for him. Though he was more on the narrow end before 2 1/2 years of dressage work...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I have a 16.1 TB that has a cob bridle and a 46" girth. He is a" medium" tree in a Prestige saddle. He has a dainty head but uses a full browband.

I have had many TBs and they have had full heads, cob heads, and one oversize with a jug headed boy. Girth range 46" to 54". Just depends on the horse. Saddle widths again depend on the horse. Used a narrow once and many times a medium or medium wide. Also depends on the back shape.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Like others have said, it really depends on the specific horse. I had a 16'3 hand slight TB that was slightly too large for a cob, so used a full bridle, a very narrow tree and a 48" girth.

Next TB mare I had was 15'2 on a tall day, wide saddle, full bridle, 52' girth and a size 80 blanket.

Ugh -my TB takes a cob crownpiece, full browband, cob cheekpieces, and full caveson. I can sometimes get away with a full bridle, IF I put cob cheekpieces on it. No more "off the rack" stuff for us!
    Cindy

My 16.2 ish (might be a tad shorter) needs a cob cavesson but the rest of the bridle in horse/full. I had to buy a custom saddle because I couldn't find anything off the rack to fit his narrowness. His halter is a horse...but is big around his nose so I buy ones with adjustable chins. His other halter is super small and a horse size as well. Sigh.

I would wait to purchase these items until the TB was home. Size will depend on the horse and the maker of the product.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

My 15.2h TB mare is a medium width saddle and cob bridle and cob halter. She uses a 48 inch girth.