The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle sizing?

I'm 5'0-5'1, and was wondering what size saddle would work for me? It would be a close contact saddle. I know I should try them out first, but what would be an apporxminite size? Also, would a regular or wide saddle fit most thoroughbreds?

It is not how tall you are necessarily, but how big you are. My daughter who is 5'4" and 100lbs rides in a 16" Butet with a 1 flap. If you weigh more than that you would need a bigger seat size. You want to be able to fit your whole hand behind your seat while you are in the saddle. It also depends in how long your legs are in proportion to your body when choosing a flap length. I would guess that most Thoroughbreds would wear a regular tree, however if you are not doing a custom saddle, take a tracing of your horses' withers with you when you try on saddles. It sounds like you would need a person, who knows how to fit a saddle, go with you to make sure you make the right choice.

Many thoroughbreds also take narrows or wides, depends more on a specific horse. This is not enough detail. To tell you a saddle size we would really need to know the length from your hip/thigh to knee, the circumference of your thigh at its wides part, and your weight. For the horse, we'd need good confo pics, maybe a withers tracing.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I'm 4'11" and I generally ride in a 16" my butt can fit in a 15.5-15 3/4, haven't tried a 15 in a while but might be able to fit still. The problem is that while short I have a little bit longer thigh so I need something with a slightly more forward flap which is fun to find in a smaller seat and a shorter flap much less that isn't custom.

I'm 5'1" and ride in a 16.5 saddle.

But like everyone said, it's really dependent on each person.

I'm 5'5". One of my saddles is a 16", one is a 16.5" and the other is a 17". My dressage saddle is a 17.5". A lot is going to depend on how deep the seat is. The seats on mine range from flat to half deep. The deeper the seat, the bigger it needs to be.

You really need to try different sizes in different saddles - the flap length, the seat depth/working center, stirrup bar placement all affect what seat size you need!

For instance - I'm 6" and all leg (with most of that in my thigh) and I have one saddle that's 16.5 and one that's 17.5, and both fit me fine.

I'm I'm 5'5", and my saddle is a 15¾. But, as RolyPolyPony said, you really need to try different sizes in different saddles - the flap length, the seat depth/working center, stirrup bar placement all affect what seat size you need!

Quote Originally Posted by gabbymaee View Post
    I'm 5'0-5'1, and was wondering what size saddle would work for me? It would be a close contact saddle. I know I should try them out first, but what would be an apporxminite size? Also, would a regular or wide saddle fit most thoroughbreds?
    I am your height with short legs, and ride in a 16.5. I would not buy a wide tree saddle unless you are absolutely sure you need one; my TB has a fairly sturdy build and still only needs a regular tree. A wide is likely too wide for *most* TBs.

Definitely sit in as many saddles as you can (preferably ON the horse, not just at the shop). Buying a saddle is like buying jeans - so many styles and fits.

Not even about body size completely, either—partially about preference. I'm about 5'6" and my current saddle is a 16.5", but in my friend's 17.5" saddle, my knee is over the knee roll. It's really about the configuration of each particular saddle more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    It is not how tall you are necessarily, but how big you are. My daughter who is 5'4" and 100lbs rides in a 16" Butet with a 1 flap. If you weigh more than that you would need a bigger seat size. You want to be able to fit your whole hand behind your seat while you are in the saddle. It also depends in how long your legs are in proportion to your body when choosing a flap length. I would guess that most Thoroughbreds would wear a regular tree, however if you are not doing a custom saddle, take a tracing of your horses' withers with you when you try on saddles. It sounds like you would need a person, who knows how to fit a saddle, go with you to make sure you make the right choice.
    I weigh about 106