The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Really, anything that gets with in a mile of your horse can be dangerous, since horses are constantly looking for creative ways to kill themselves.

I have to agree with the thought that if the bell boot was not there you still would have toppled and you would be dealing with an injury from your horse stepping on himself.

5 members found this post helpful.

My girl wears bell boots on her hind feet during turn out but not during riding. I grew up with an instructor that never wanted to see bell boots on XC due to having them cause an accident for her.

Unfortunately I had a guy that ripped front shoes off frequently, so he wore bells 24/7, much to her dismay. And that guy had a back a mile long and STILL over reached

I have a friend who broke her neck last year, when her horse stepped on his bell boots over the last fence of a jumper class.

I ran XC in bell boots (pull ons), but I always cut the bottoms so they didn't touch the ground. The bell would protect the bulb of the heel, but wasn't long enough to accidentally be stepped on. I found that good shoeing kept my horse from grabbing shoes, not bell boots (and I had one run through the prelim level in eggbar shoes with never a pulled shoe) in years.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Can you buy Westrops in the US? I used them when I evented - as they're made of 'petals' if the horse stands on it, it rips off. They're loud when at XC pace but I used to tune them out.

http://www.heartlandsaddlery.com/pro...s-Mark-II.html

Never had it happen all the years jumping, never even lost a bell boot, BUT
    was working a very green horse who was just learning to canter, Asked for the canter, got one stride, and down he went. Scary!
    Anything can happen!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I'll only use short bell boots (we call them 'overreach boots on this side of the pond) for jumping, like these:
    http://www.ingatestonesaddlery.co.uk...ts-100868.Aspx
    and long cheapo rubber ones for turnout, basically sacrificial ones that should prevent the horse from stepping on its front shoes.
    my horses NEVER leave the ground without bell boots on, once they're shod. I've never had them cause a problem (touch wood) but the last 2 times my horses jumped without bell boots, they both overreached badly... once when someone was riding for me and refused to put overreach boots on my gelding, we had a stand up row in the collecting ring, he won, he went in and the horse overreached so badly landing over the first SJ that he was on 3 legs and had to retire... heroically, I think I managed to choke down "I told you so".
    the second time, I forgot to put them on for XC, was distracted by people talking to me as I booted up (lesson learnt) and my good mare overreached on her final run before Boekelo, so we didn't get there. Another lesson learnt.
    Hence, I always use them!

I'm in the no bell boots camp except in turnout or when starting babies that don't know where their feet are (usually before I get on them). I do like the no turn ones without all the extra material.

Lucinda told me that if you feel like you "have" to have them for XC or whatever, to use the petal-type ones because they will snap or break if the horse steps on them instead of holding. I guess you can replace the broken petals instead of the whole boot so that's nicer than always having to buy new bells...
    TPR!
    Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
    www.goodhorse.org

Quote Originally Posted by frugalannie View Post
    FWIW, Lucinda Green recommends never eventing with bell boots. She's convinced that they cause more problems then they solve. (Or so she has said to me in more than one clinic.)
    My trainer says they same thing!! My green bean needs them for his Bar shoes but we take them off before schooling and competing XC

What about rubber pull ons? My horse who has a slightly upright hoof has to go in larger bell boots than he needs...occassionally he just pops them off. Wouldn't that work that way if necessary XC? He has been in them all 6 years with me never an issue. He will step on them and pop them off in turnout every once in a while.

Maybe I just get the right kind...I would be slightly worried about overly secure velcro or bell boots that didn't tear.

Both of my boys will tear their feet apart without them! One of mine loved to make a habit about stepping on front shoe, pulling it half off, and then stepping on the clip. Super fun abcesses resulted from that

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Never had it happen all the years jumping, never even lost a bell boot, BUT
    was working a very green horse who was just learning to canter, Asked for the canter, got one stride, and down he went. Scary!
    Anything can happen!
    Gah. I had a mare that did that - 8yo but green, just learning to canter, and for a week or so every time we'd canter she'd trip and nearly fall. Went to her knees a couple of times, and I thank my stars I've been good at keeping my weight back or I'd have lawn darted a couple of those times.

IMO, the pvc ones with the velcro sewn on seem most likely to deconstruct in this kind of event - the stitching is generally the weakest point and happily rips off the boot before any damage is done. I rarely use bells, pretty much only galloping at the beach or XC schooling on a greenie.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I've had that happen at a canter and no bell boots were involved. Left hind snagged left front while slightly on the forehand and fall down go boom we went. I boob planted, and he rolled over his shoulder a bit.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I was wondering about the Westropp boots- I haven't seen (or heard!) them around since I was an eventer in the late 80's.
    I have had petals break off, surely that would be safer than having the whole bell stepped on. But then, I used bell boots for x-c because I thought they were pretty much required attire- I never had a horse overreach.

Quote Originally Posted by Fillabeana View Post
    I was wondering about the Westropp boots- I haven't seen (or heard!) them around since I was an eventer in the late 80's.
    I have had petals break off, surely that would be safer than having the whole bell stepped on. But then, I used bell boots for x-c because I thought they were pretty much required attire- I never had a horse overreach.
    Haha, I had them when I was a pony clubber in the 80's.

http://www.horseloverz.com/Bell-Boot...ell-Boots.html

They do have a very distinctive "clapping" sound to them.

Default maybe try these

What about something like these? Because they are fitted, I don't see how they would interfere like traditional bell boots.

http://www.proequinegrooms.com/files...702/6767/1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mommy peanut View Post
    What about something like these? Because they are fitted, I don't see how they would interfere like traditional bell boots.

http://www.proequinegrooms.com/files...702/6767/1.jpg
    Those are scalpers and are also used by the gaited and harness folks. We like our boots close to the foot and not turning at all. I'm serious when I say check out the ones I linked to on page one. They are leather, shaped close to the foot, and stay on. And no, they aren't weighted and won't make your horse trot like a Saddlebred.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    The best boots IMHO for protection and that are the safest because they fit SNUG are the leather trotting boots you see on harness and gaited horses. They're form fitted to the hoof and bulbs and the leather is HARD so if they knock it, there's no bruising or cutting.

http://www.fennells.com/store/produc...1=&r1=578&sdk=

Buckle the bottom strap as tight as you can and the top you should be able to get a pinky under.

OOhh la la... those are purdy. Any advice on the sizing?

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    OOhh la la... those are purdy. Any advice on the sizing?
    Most horses I've worked with wore a medium. If the horse has a big dinner-plate hoof, then the large would fit. I know they also make them in pony size for the little guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    The best boots IMHO for protection and that are the safest because they fit SNUG are the leather trotting boots you see on harness and gaited horses. They're form fitted to the hoof and bulbs and the leather is HARD so if they knock it, there's no bruising or cutting.

http://www.fennells.com/store/produc...1=&r1=578&sdk=

Buckle the bottom strap as tight as you can and the top you should be able to get a pinky under.
    Caveat: you can buckle the bottom strap too tight. As tight as you can is not quite right, they should only be buckled as tight as needed to stay on. Some horses have more sensitive feet than others, and on some horses buckling quarter boots overly tight will effect them. Soemtimes you need to use friction tape under quarter boots to get them to stay in place. And they will only stay on if your horse is wearing a shoe that sticks out at least a bit behind the heels.

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    Caveat: you can buckle the bottom strap too tight. As tight as you can is not quite right, they should only be buckled as tight as needed to stay on. Some horses have more sensitive feet than others, and on some horses buckling quarter boots overly tight will effect them. Soemtimes you need to use friction tape under quarter boots to get them to stay in place. And they will only stay on if your horse is wearing a shoe that sticks out at least a bit behind the heels.
    "As tight as I can" is usually not very tight LOL! Sometimes I've had to use friction tape, and other times I've had to get a man to do it for me.

FYI, I have used them on barefoot horses and they stay on just fine. So I'm not sure a shoe is required if the boots fit properly.