The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default ER docs: Respect the boots!

Anyone gone to the ER and had their Very Expensive tall boots respected?

Speaking from the pre-zipper era, I always carried a seam-ripper with me in my hunt coat pocket and told the people I was with that it was there.

Were I to show up in the ER unable to do my own instructing, my friends were told to make sure no one cut the $1K boots off me. Use the seam ripper if needed, but no cutting 'em off!

I have my priorities.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

7 members found this post helpful.

I hope this is in jest.

ER docs don't have time to piddle around with seam rippers to remove boots. not only could it further injury you to put the boots at the right angle to get to the seam, it is a definate waste of their time.

Have a friend on call to meet you at the ER to remove them for you if it is that important.

But really, I am hoping i am taking a jest way too seriously.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

14 members found this post helpful.

I used to hang out with alot of the local firefighters and EMTs in a very horsey town. They were so sick of being treated like crap by some members of what they perceived as the snotty horse set, that they delighted in cutting off tall boots, if for no other reason than to piss off people.

I don't know that emergency personnel and ER staff should put more emphasis on saving your boots than you, though.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

13 members found this post helpful.

No, not in jest!

I'm a vain and cheap HunterPrincess.

If I were awake, I'd have the dudes leave 'em on until I could find someone with Proper Respect for boots (rather than life) to cut the seams.

Thankfully, I have never had to test this all out.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

Default I don't want the ER staff to give a damn about my boots

If you can't afford to have them, removed for you, perhaps you shouldn't wear them.

7 members found this post helpful.

Now, now. I'm otherwise an ER doc's total dream patient-- grateful, cooperative, stoic, honest and funny. Also, I don't puke in the wrong places.

I just have this one request....
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

8 members found this post helpful.

Wow. just wow. If you can't afford to replace your boots in case of emergency, you shouldn't have bought them... as Susie Orman would say "You CAN'T afford it!"

5 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

It occurs to me that this is a great reason to have zippers put into expensive tall boots.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

10 members found this post helpful.

I think if I was unconscious I would consider it urgent enough that I would be prepared to accept whatever happened to my boots. If I were consious and handed the ER nurse a seam ripper (just think how long that would take) I think he or she would call a psych consult and I would find myself medicated into unconsciousness. Or they would assume concussion.

I did once have to ask an ER nurse help me with my boots, I had broken a couple of transverse processes on my lower spine. When I finally got to the exam room she tossed a gown on the bed and told me to change. I said I needed help with my boots. She gamely pulled my boots off but I suspect if she knew I had some broken bones in my back she might not have done so! And yes it did hurt. A lot.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

If I were unconscious or had a broken leg or something, I wouldn't mind them being cut off. If I were awake with a non-life threatening broken arm, etc I would certainly want them removed properly.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

10 members found this post helpful.

If I was conscious, talking, etc I would definitely ask them to try and take them off normally before cutting them off. However, it was truly a real emergency then I would hope they are making a justifiable decision. And to all those who say you should be able to readily replace >$1,000.00 boots have none of you been gifted things or saved up for a really nice item that you have worked really hard for? Some items are special once in a lifetime buys that you can't easily replace.

40 members found this post helpful.

Simple solution...have your boots removed while you're waiting for the ambulance or before you get in your princess transportation. I don't want to be waiting in the next bay for a doctor who is piddling around with your pricey boots!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Forthright Farm View Post
    Wow. just wow. If you can't afford to replace your boots in case of emergency, you shouldn't have bought them... as Susie Orman would say "You CAN'T afford it!"
    Uh huh. Look at your last ER bill. Could you afford to just write a check?

IMO, very few people can afford to buy, say, a house, a college education for kiddo and a triple by-pass surgery.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

4 members found this post helpful.

I have to say that I would not ask the ER personal to deal with taking off my boots carefully, however I have had my sister pull my new boots before heading to the ER with my crushed foot. Needless to say my sister still remembers and was not happy about doing the pulling.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

Conscious or not, if you need your boots off and I can't safely remove them without cutting them, I am cutting them. I have never cut riding boots off but I cut Uggs off a disgustingly dislocated ankle once. Granted, they are $200, not $1000 but money was the last thing on either of our minds at the time.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Simple solution...have your boots removed while you're waiting for the ambulance or before you get in your princess transportation. I don't want to be waiting in the next bay for a doctor who is piddling around with your pricey boots!
    Great idea, not. Not much use for riding boots in a wheelchair.

Yes, I went to the hospital as a junior at the state year end finals (back in '94) when my jumper fell on me after we crossed the timers (I did win the class though!). Then kneeled on my chest to get up causing me to have a grand mal seizure. At the horse show in the ring when they were working on me I guess the EMTs tried to cut my hunt coat off, but were able to push it up my arm instead. I was unconcious for this part.

I was strapped to a back board fully dressed (this was later how I was when I came to at the hospital) & went for all the scans & tests before they would remove anything. I remember them letting me take off my helmet first, but I still had to lay flat for awhile. Then they (the ER staff/interns) tried to remove my tall boots. Ever see non-horse people try to figure out how to remove a show outfit? I could hear them whispering. They thought about cutting them off for maybe 2.5 seconds til I explained how to pull them off. I recall yelling at the guy (I assume he was a med student cause he looked young to me) to "put some muscle into it" & "don't be such a wienie" as he was bent over (the ladies were giggling). Did I mention I had a concussion & head trauma? My mom made me apoligize the next morning when I was released to all. I was definitely a less than stellar patient.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    If I were consious and handed the ER nurse a seam ripper (just think how long that would take) I think he or she would call a psych consult and I would find myself medicated into unconsciousness. Or they would assume concussion.
    If I were conscious, I'd be the good houseguest who offered to do the seam-ripping herself.... wouldn't want to put anyone out, even in the ER.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Heehee Giddy-up! Great story!(glad you were ok tho )

Yes, if I were unconcious, and mangled, cut away, buuut.... If I were to go to my local small town emerg, then I would ask for them to be saved. Read: small town, people go there for colds(gracious not me) and fractures(me if I had one).

I think this thread was made for fun, pretty obvious that if the OP were in critical condition she wouldn't give a darn. Or they could just hack her leg off above the knee and she could then do the un-stitching at home! Voila problem solved.

9 members found this post helpful.