The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What do you guys think of this Canter girl?

http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=397

Sorry to make a new thread, but I am still in the market and I figure its to late to resurrect my old one.
    She looks pretty good conformationally to me, but I wouldn't know anything about her pedigree.

I'm looking for a horse that is 15.3hh and up, for an eventing prospect. I'm not looking for an UL horse, but I would like something that could take me to Prelim. (so feel free to post if you find anything)

Here's some other that I like, although the top horse is my favorite
    http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=281

These guys will probably all sell before I have a chance to look
    http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=281
    http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ings&Itemid=61
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

I think they all look nice, except for the second gelding in the latter group - his head looks coarse to me, a minor flaw, I admit.
    But I like best the looks of the second horse you posted, the gelding, especially his shoulder. I also like his video, a nice mover.

1 members found this post helpful.

There's a lot to like in both the first and second ones' pedigrees. (I didn't look at pedigrees on the others.) If I were just looking on paper, the mare would get the nod. The gelding is a really good looking horse, but that mare just speaks to me. She may be a tad long in the back, but she looks like a sportscar.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    There's a lot to like in both the first and second ones' pedigrees. (I didn't look at pedigrees on the others.) If I were just looking on paper, the mare would get the nod. The gelding is a really good looking horse, but that mare just speaks to me. She may be a tad long in the back, but she looks like a sportscar.
    I noticed she had a long back too, but I didn't think it was too bad. But I agree with you, I really love the mare. She's been on for a while so I hope she is there in a month or two when I am ready to buy
    Eventers of the West

Midnightdiva is quite lovely. She is friendly, easy to handle on the ground and nicely put together. I think she's quite the find, personally, and might have snatched her up myself, if I hadn't picked up another OTTB earlier in the season.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have about her. I took the listing for all of Greg's horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Midnightdiva is quite lovely. She is friendly, easy to handle on the ground and nicely put together. I think she's quite the find, personally, and might have snatched her up myself, if I hadn't picked up another OTTB earlier in the season.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have about her. I took the listing for all of Greg's horses.
    I'll bug you on Facebook when it comes closer to when I'm ready
    Eventers of the West

Midnightdiva is lovely The first gelding you listed is also very nice, near me too. The only other one I know anything about is Shi'ah Sand, and just to say that in both of her videos she is VERY off on her right hind. Could be something simple, could be some nasty. The others all look nice though.

It's not necessarily the length of her back that bothers me, it's the freakish looking way it's connected to her hind end. I would be concerned that it could make it a bit harder for her to compress for the tougher combinations when you got to prelim.

I love Midnightdiva.
    Some of the others are nice, but she is the one I would most want to go see!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelodian View Post
    We jump horses. Over sticks. For fun.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyway.
    Regulus RDL

I love Midnight Diva and I like the look of the 2nd (17 h. bay) gelding, but the angle of the pic doesn't show him well enough to get a really good idea. I don't compete in eventing and I certainly wouldn't know what a legitimate prelim prospect looks like, so take my opinion for what it's worth... : )

Quote Originally Posted by volvo_240 View Post
    It's not necessarily the length of her back that bothers me, it's the freakish looking way it's connected to her hind end. I would be concerned that it could make it a bit harder for her to compress for the tougher combinations when you got to prelim.

Opposite....too many people want short backed when the longer backed horses often have more scope over fences --I'll take slight long over short any day. You want the horse to look more like a rectangle than square. This mare's back not really long. The pictures give that perception a bit because she is also deep in her chest/body so she doesn't look as leggy as she really is. But that deepness is great for an event horse...more room for her lungs! She is a lovely prospect depending on how she moves.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I would not worry Too much abut her coupling, I think once she muscles up it will smooth out. A lot of OTTBs look like that. I think she is a bit short necked and that makes her look more long backed. She has a nice big butt. Elbow and stifle are fairly level. And I LOVE her pedigree!

Jennifer

OK, I'm going to be the lone dissenter on Midnight Diva. Her shoulder looks a bit straight to me, as do her pastern angles. She reminds me of a TB mare I had 20 years ago who could never stay sound, which I felt was due to her angles in front. Midnight Diva is a cutie, though.

Its nice to get some great responses! I really like Midnightdiva.
    Although I don't know exactly which parts of her pedigree are good, if anyone would care to enlighten me. I am still learning about TB pedigrees.
    Eventers of the West