The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone live in northern Nevada?

My husband and I are considering moving to northern Nevada more specifically around Reno/Washoe County in a few years. So I just wondering if anyone lived there, and if you could give me some info on the schools, crime rate, and hay prices, if horse keeping there is enjoyable. Really just if you are happy there. Thank you!

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't think the schools are very good. I live in Idaho, but Reno is our overnight on the road between California and home (a trip we make once or twice a year) and we have been down almost every year for the football game between BSU and UN-R.

Anyway, I read the newspaper whenever we're there and I can't think of one instance that there hasn't been an article about some problem with some school within the Washoe County district.

I think real estate is fairly affordable right now. And depending on how close you needed to be to Reno, you might even be able to pick up horse property. It has gotten pretty built up, with subdivisions springing up everywhere during the building boom.
    Sheilah

Ask SunnyCher! She used to live in Reno. There's not much foxhunting there, is what I remember her saying about it.
    Nanakorobi yaoki: Seven times fall, eight times rise.
    http://reveilleandrinsie.blogspot.com

One of my relatives lives there and rides dressage. The crime rate IN Reno I think is not very good - lots of jobless and desperate people. The fires recently have been scary. I don't know about the schools, my relatives' kids are too young for school yet. They do say it's a great place to raise a family.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati