The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Calming supplements and Ulcers

Do you have a horse or horses that have ulcers or have had problems with ulcers in the past? Of those of you who answered "yes," do you also have them on a calming supplement to keep any worrying and stress to a minimum?

If so, which one?

Do I really need a calming supplement for a horse who isn't "hot" per se, but has had some gastric issues in the past, but are under control now?

I'm just trying to see if there is a correlation, so any information would be appreciated! Thanks!

My horse gets ulcers when we travel. Her daily care is managed to minimize stress (turnout, access to friends, proper diet), but she doesn't get a calming supplement. The only calming supplement I am comfortable giving "long term" is magnesium and vitamin B and neither of these had any effect on my horse (previous horse really benefits from SmartCalm, but didn't have ulcers). I do give omeprazole to my current horse when we travel.

A neighbor of mine has a horse that is on calming aids and I am convinced that the horse has ulcers based on her behavior. I can't remember what the name is but she said it was all natural. I have always wondered if they were part of the reason she got ulcers!!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

My mare is on Quiessence (mostly magnesium) but she was on that before we figured out the whole ulcer thing and it did make a difference. She tends to be a little flighty. I now have her on pop rocks maintenance dose after the treatment dose.

Thanks for the responses! The young squire has his gastric issues under control now (plenty of turnout as always, alfalfa, and a preventative dose of omeprazole for traveling), but I was just wondering how many of you have given the calming supplement as part of the preventative regimen

He is green, so flighty is still something I have to deal with every now and again, but I can't say that it is a problem. I guess I could just try some SmartCalm for 30 days and see how it goes. Can't hurt, right ? If I notice a good change, then I may keep him on it, regardless of the gastric issues

I don't necessarily believe calming supplements are actually such a thing.

My horse showed signs of being magnesium deficient and I recently read an article by Melyni about tying up in TBs and suspect he had very mild issues with that, so he's definitely staying on the Mg. Some people call any Mg a calming supplement though I don't think the description (Mag 5,000) of this says it is. What it has done is changed his body, tension throughout his body as far as muscle tightness, and reduced soreness/more ability to build strength for dressage work. There was a very distinct change from the plateau he had hit once he started on Mg.

Ulcers are still a problem, and we just had a recurrence so he's back on ulcergard treatment after being ok for a while.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I swear by finish line's thia-cal, or quia-cal in a syringe dose.

Have my slaughter rescue mare on it who starts to weave at the slightest change in her life, it has made a huge difference

Good point Netg! I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to do 30 days on the SmartCalm and see how he does...

Maybe I'll like what I see!

Supplements do not change a horse's basic temperament, situation, or general manner of coping with the world. Some horses are more anxious than others, much like people. There really isn't a "supp for that".

If a horse is in pain, it may be more likely to appear "anxious". The solution is to eliminate the pain if possible. A horse treated with omeprazole and a calming supplement who "calms down" is probably calmer because it's not hurting any more, not because of any supplement.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Supplements do not change a horse's basic temperament, situation, or general manner of coping with the world. Some horses are more anxious than others, much like people. There really isn't a "supp for that".

If a horse is in pain, it may be more likely to appear "anxious". The solution is to eliminate the pain if possible. A horse treated with omeprazole and a calming supplement who "calms down" is probably calmer because it's not hurting any more, not because of any supplement.
    I agree with this, especially with my experiences with my horse. He most definitely did NOT go on the Mg as a calming supplement, and it most definitely hasn't calmed him any. But it has helped the physical issues for which I put him on it, which I suspect make some horses less calm than they would normally be.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Totally agree Deltawave! This horse is definitely the more anxious type and I don't think anything is going to "cure" that. He is not tweaked out or anything, just sensitive

My thought with the supplement was that I could possibly address a deficiency, if he even has one, that might assist in the maintenance and prevention of the gastric issues.

I have definitely seen a difference since the omperazole - better poops, better movement under saddle, and less touchy around the belly area. He was never girthy, but he didn't like to be brushed under his tummy sometimes, even with a soft brush...

I am currently trying the Smartpak supplement for 1 month. I just want to see if I even notice a difference. I'll let you know; we're only on day 5 or 6 now!

I have tried a chelated Mg supplement at shows, noticed very little change.

To be honest, my horse calms down at shows most when he has his freedom feeder with him, which also is keeping his stomach happy. it goes wherever he goes, including rood and riddle when he had to have sx. instead of being in a new place and spinning in circles in his stall, he casually meanders towards his net and munches on it for hours at a time.