The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Over-oiled help

Just purchased a new ADT Gazelle bridle to use as new show bridle. I oiled it with a hand towel and it turned a nice dark brown. I used it a few times to help break it in. But then I wasn't happy with the softness and it felt a little dry, esp in the smaller strap areas. So I poured some Hydrophane (non-darkening) in a bowl and just ran each part of the bridle through the pool of oil and wiped excess off with my hands. Then I let dry.

Yeah.... so now it's black. I have black tack (I also do dressage) and it's the same color. If I bend it tight, you can see that it's brown underneath. I have a really dark saddle, so I'm happy to do dark brown, but I don't want it to look black.

What are my options? I've been reading that I'm pretty much screwed. Wish I knew over-oiling was a problem with no recovery before I started.

Don't panic. Use it, clean it a few times, it will mellow out and look brown again. You didn't turn in black. Just really really dark brown.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not sure I can stop panicing, but I will definitely use it and hopefully it will be a bit more brown. I do know I didn't transform it into black, I just don't want it to look black. Thanks.

No one can tell the difference on a galloping horse anyways. It will mellow... at least you have a dark saddle.