The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    Elfe- You filly is stunning!
    Thanks, we are all quite fond of her !

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes Elfe, the babies are darling!! I'm SO envious of your run-ins/shelters....wow, very NICE!!! I don't think OP's barn owner is soooo off base, *other than* I do think filly ought to be put out with either one weanling or perhaps even the weanling herd and mare ought to be removed. I had one weaning that had to be done suddenly due to mare's health (and unfortunate subsequent death). I trailered mare and foal to new farm, pulled baby off trailer and took mom to hospital. Baby went in small pasture with TALL fencing along with another weanling. He was upset (but not overly so) for about 20 minutes and then all was well. There are tons of different ways to do it, not all are "bad" just because they are not "your way" of doing things. Sometimes there is just no "ideal" way to do it, farm lay-out has a lot to do with it, mare's health, or foal's health. It all depends, it's good to be flexible....

Default Confused ~ when is this ELLA EVENT ?!?

Confused and can not read all the posts ~ too poooped to pop !

So Dr. offer up an update this evening of when the
    ELLA EVENT will happen ~ please ?

Jingles & AO for ALL !

* whatcha drinking tonight ?!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Hey ZuZu,

Thanks for checking in! No weaning yet (it's been put off until after the holidays, and I'm thinking that means "indefinitely" since the weather has taken a turn for the worse around here ..) I haven't talked to my BM lately, and nothing has been pinned down at this point.

We have had rain, SNOW, mud, and freezing temps at night to turn all the fields into freezing mud. More snow tomorrow, and after that the extended forecast is "mixed" (snow showers, some dry days, but COLD!) Just shoot me.

And I had a shot of Bailey's and two Coronas tonight
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Default empathize!

horses WILL BE FINE, YOU, HOWEVER need a good stiff drink or or two OR TWO
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    My BM's source on "weaning by the signs" indicated that the 20th and 21st were the best days to wean this month--though there is conflicting information. (This board said earlier this week would have been the right days, which would have been better, weatherwise.)

The forecast for tomorrow (in our area) is for rain coming in late, then SHARPLY colder the next day, and WINDY! Just the thing for keeping young fractious brains in heads...

My filly, who has always been with mom only, is almost 6 months old, and is READY (if not past ready) to be weaned; she jumped out of her pasture *away* from mom last month. Over a 4+ foot gate. Then proceeded to "take a tour" of the property. Oy.

Needless to say, she is very independent and curious by nature, and I think she will be fine (after the initial meltdown hissy) when separated from mom.

The BM might have done it earlier if not for the fact that the two weanlings the filly will be turned out with suddenly coming up with snotty noses as of Monday, they are now on antibiotics. As a result (and because we don't want to wait another MONTH), the weaning is still a "go", and BM plans to sedate both in the stall (they will likely already be in because the hunt comes through the property most Thursdays, and stirs up a ruckus), and then remove the mare by loading her in a trailer and moving her to another barn on the property, where she will be kept in a stall until she calms down (this is well out of earshot of the baby, thank goodness.)

Filly--WHEN "sufficiently settled", in BM's opinion--will be turned out with two other foals, both of whom have already been weaned for several months, and who have been out together with other foals (in a herd of 4.) With luck my filly will settle in, though there has been no introduction to any other horse up to this point, not even over the fence. (Mom is a bitchy Alpha, so they had to be by themselves.); pretend you are a human mom sending hr daughter to day care

Luckily filly seems to be VERY socially motivated, and will likely LOVE having friends to play with; my concern is that the ground will be slick and the weather will be suddenly cold and windy , making everyone "extra spunky."

Anyone had success with this? (please say YES, it will be FINE!), and any suggestions?
    be certain Mom cannot hear baby and vice- versa
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Default NO NO Shooting of OP ~ just try to enjoy your lovely weather & drink in moderation

NO no no shooting of OP !

Just try to enjoy your lovely weather and please

please try to drink in moderation until the
    ELLA EVENT then you can just get a few LARGE bottles and one straw and GO FOR IT !

Thanks for update !

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    NO no no shooting of OP !

Just try to enjoy your lovely weather and please

please try to drink in moderation until the
    ELLA EVENT then you can just get a few LARGE bottles and one straw and GO FOR IT !

Thanks for update !

Yes, I will try to keep the imbibing to a minimum so as to stay out of rehab

Carol--mom will be moved to another barn a mile or two away, and kept in a stall, so yes, out of earshot.

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

We are TB breeders and have used several methods. All with the same good results some just required IMO more unnecessary work. Personally I feel a foal should be raised with at least 1 other of its “own kind”. But have never worked with an “only child” so have no experience with introducing an “only child” to group of weaners. But young weaners are still “children” and are very accepting. We keep our mares and foals in groups in their own fields. When weaning time comes we just pull the mares out of the field and take them to another field on the farm. It is not that far from the weanling paddocks/field so contrary to the popular school of thought that the mares/weaners are not completely out of ear and eye shot but has not proven to be a problem. With TBs most are weaned in September-October. Earlier if there are ones that are going to be sold at the November breeding stock auctions. But these are generally ones that were born fairly early in the foaling season. Most are weaned around 4+ months. But because we rarely sell weaners we have gone as much as 6+ months from foaling. And these have all been very easy. Especially the mares who only seem to give the obligatory “whinny” for a day or so at most along with the odd “momma’s” foal. This year due to weather the mares and foals were stalled, so we just gave the foals a touch of Ace, pulled the mares and turned out in a field with maidens and barren ones and then turned the foals out a couple at a time. They walked back out to their field with no issues. And only paced the fence line a bit. Our weanling paddock/field is 4 board oak about 5 feet high. I would not wean in anything much lower. When we have weaned at 4 months have had a number of them “throw” themselves at the fence. We have never had any that have hurt themselves. If the mares are still carrying a “bag” pacing the fence line is good for them, helps “milk out” relieving bag pressure. Some people like to keep and or leave a barren or old retired mare in the field with the weaners. We have at times but have not found it to make any difference when we didn’t. Some use an old docile gelding. The weaners have no interest in interacting with any thing other then themselves. Even though we have done this for years weaning time is still a bit emotional. But we have found it far more for the humans involved then the foals and every year we still make excuses to put it off. I suppose putting the mare and foal out together with the weaners for a couple of days so the foal can get used to its new friends maybe a good idea and then just pulling the mare. But some mares can be highly protective and I can promise you the weaners are going to be very interested in the new kid on the block so I would watch and make sure the mare does start kicking them. If so just pull the mare ASAP. Foals and weaners always get snotty noses, summer, fall or winter part of growing up. It can be light or thick. Some never get it most do and it comes and goes in phases. We have never given any antibiotics. When it gone its gone for good. Personally I think bad weather makes for any easier time of it they are less likely to be rambunctious. To each their own when it comes to “the signs” we never give it much thought. Used to years ago. We have never had any problems shipping a mare and foal in a 2 horse with the divider out. But we do close the top and have fabricated some plywood so that the foal can not get underneath the breast bar.
    Everybody has different feelings and methods and too each their own. We have tried most and have found the above to always work just fine.

Default How about an Update Dr. ?! How is that FILLY ?! Ella !!

Ella update please ?!

Ella update please ?!
    HA! Only you would care so much, ZuZu (since by now I'm sure the rest of the COTH folks have long wearied of hearing from me on this topic ), but then again, you are reliably a caring and supportive COTHer--and are always cheerleading us, one and all, through every horse-related crisis--I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say THANK YOU! And really, bless you for caring (and for asking)

Ella is great!

The weaning went pretty well, all things considered. The week I picked (and the BM actually went along with this, very unlike her ) was a mild one, with daytime highs of 50+, though the ground was still frozen in the AM. The afternoon of the weaning, she gave Ella some Ace paste (IV Ace for mom, who was loaded up--got into the trailer a bit reluctantly, but remained calm--and taken to the barn a mile or so away.) I stayed with Ella, trusting that her mom would be fine being unloaded at the new barn and put into a stall, which she was. The BM had two other babies that she was weaning at the same time (all got Ulcerguard in the morning and then the following day, before they were turned out together and first introduced), but those two had been together with their moms in a herd since birth, so were "joined at the hip." Ella initially paced the stall and called on and off for a couple of hours (as did her mom), but was overall remarkably calm and sensible. She kept trying to interact with ME through the stall grate, but of course I couldn't go into the stall with her. *sigh*

Left her for the night with hay and water (no grain) after checking on her mom (same thing.) Went out the next morning, and naturally the BM couldn't wait for ME to get there (it's an hour commute), so turned the other two out together first in the big field at around 7:30, then turned Ella out when I got there (around 9ish, so they had a chance to go out and run around and get used to their "new mom-less existence" together for about an hour and a half before the "interloper" was introduced.)

Needless to say, she was odd woman out. JUST like a clique in middle school, they were the gang calling the shots, and she was the exiled one who had to take her lunch tray and sit in the corner by herself. (My poor baby! ) The colt (there was one colt and one filly) took over the role of boss immediately, and the filly was his second in command; together they basically dominated her and moved her constantly for about 2 hours, she spent the majority of the first hour out with them "figuring out this new reality" and learning about herd hierarchy--the hard way! She ran and ran for awhile (she has QUITE the gallop on her!), and called and paced the fenceline (and was moved, and pushed around, and bitten and kept off the water and the hay by her new buddies), but eventually they settled down.

I'm SURE she slept well that night! Poor thing...

They have been fine since then, and have apparently adjusted (as far as I know, I can only handle her when she's in her stall, so am rarely out there to observe them in the field during T/O, but when I have been, she is still being "moved away from the fence" by the two others, they push their way in and block her if I come up and try to interact with her at all, and the colt still chases her away from the gate. At a brisk gallop. Her thigh and stifle muscles have developed quite nicely!)

She looks good and appears healthy (other than the fact that her winter coat is bleaching to a nice rusty hue, Augh!), and is in good weight.

She no longer has that bratty chip on her shoulder, and is now SOOOOO happy (and grateful) to see me when I come out. Humble, Loveable Shoeshine girl, with a new attitude. LOVE ME, groom me, sweet talk me!?! Lead me around!? THANK YOU! Loving attention?!? YES MAAM, I know ALL about yielding to pressure now. Mom who?!?

She no longer rules her world, and it really "adjusted her attitude"--in a good way.

So, all's well that ends well. The BM plans to move the fillies (there are a total of 3, one was weaned awhile ago, and is out with 3 colts) to a separate field, and move the other 3 colts into the field where Ella now is. I wonder whether the "Big Boss" will lose his Alpha status? She hasn't shared any details of when she plans to do this with me yet (as per usual), but I'm sure the herd status will undergo some re-shuffling.

Quite frankly, I'm kinda hoping she doesn't rise to the top in this new situation. I'm really enjoying the "new Ella", since she is much more like the young Ella; who was sweet, curious, and loving. Before she acquired that sense of entitlement from pushover mom at the same time her little preteen hormones kicked in.

I hope to be able to handle her more as she grows up (she is wicked smart, and continues to benefit from being worked with, even though at this point I'm only able to do this twice a week, since they don't lead her into and out of the field with a leadrope--just grab her by the side of the halter--I work on leading practice in her stall while I'm there), but of course my options for this are limited where I now am.

However, she seems happy and healthy, and I'm not going to rock the boat.

So all together now, PHEW!

Glad everything went smoothly!

Just curious--are the colts entire? Is it usual to turn rising yearling intact colts out with rising yearling fillies? We have all seen the wayward craigslist posts involving pregnant yearlings and two year old fillies with foals at foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Glad everything went smoothly!

Just curious--are the colts entire? Is it usual to turn rising yearling intact colts out with rising yearling fillies? We have all seen the wayward craigslist posts involving pregnant yearlings and two year old fillies with foals at foot.
    Simkie, yes--this is a bit concerning--I know the BM is planning to separate them "by genders" pretty soon. My filly is 7 1/2 months old, the other filly is 8 1/2 months old. The colt is a bit older, and has been displaying a little bit of "studdish" behavior--but only around my filly--and it seems to be mostly dominant behavior. I plan to ask the BM about this, from what I gather (correct me if I'm wrong , fillies can start coming into season when they are 9 months to a year?

This boy is going to be headed to the race track (or will be sold as a yearling), so no plans to geld him, alas :/

Glad to hear things have gone well, ultimately. I would not worry too much about your filly coming into heat for a couple months anyway, by which time your BM will have surprised you by reshuffling the herds, no doubt. Yes, post-weaning humility can be an attractive phase. You are her new "boss-mare".

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydays View Post
    Glad to hear things have gone well, ultimately. I would not worry too much about your filly coming into heat for a couple months anyway, by which time your BM will have surprised you by reshuffling the herds, no doubt. Yes, post-weaning humility can be an attractive phase. You are her new "boss-mare".
    Thanks, Sunnydays, that's reassuring

I LOVE being the boss mare! My filly's mom is a huge Alpha, she *lives* to test. This filly is extremely smart, so I am taking advantage of this to teach her some cued relaxation and submission on the ground, I hope some of it sticks!

Default EXC`ELLA`NT !!! Wonderful Weaning !!!!!

EXC`ELLA`NT !!!!!

Wonderfuol weaning update !!!!

Ok ``` she's weaned ~~ EXCELLENT !!!

now business .....

please know that I have waited patiently well ??!! maybe not SO patiently

but anyway ````` Dr. D. please before I start ~

get yourself a
    frosty Corona & some paper and peeencil !
    find a comfortable chair behind a place to write ```

LISTENING ???!!!

ok get ALL that set up

I'll be back later to discuss.....

EXC`ELLA`NT !!!!!

Wonderfuol weaning update !!!!

Ok ``` she's weaned ~~ EXCELLENT !!!

now business .....

please know that I have waited patiently well ??!! maybe not SO patiently

but anyway ````` Dr. D. please before I start ~

get yourself a
    frosty Corona & some paper and peeencil !
    find a comfortable chair behind a place to write ```

LISTENING ???!!!

ok get ALL that set up

I'll be back later to discuss.....
    Thanks!!

And Oh NO! So cryptic, you are!! I have been diddling around on the computer all morning, so am leaving soon to go about my day (and try to do something productive); I'll be back this evening and will check the thread again.

You have my curiousity piqued (and now I'm a little nervous to boot )

Default Ok ok ~~ here's the deaL !! SEATED ? DRINKING ? `` PERHAPS HAVE ANOTHER ! READY ?!

OK OK ```

SEATED ?

DRINKING !

Perhaps have another !

Ok `` here's the deal ~ Ready ?!

in a nutshell ```` no more beating around the bush

You should give ME ````ELLA !!!

please ???????

OK OK ```

SEATED ?

DRINKING !

Perhaps have another !

Ok `` here's the deal ~ Ready ?!

in a nutshell ```` no more beating around the bush

You should give ME ````ELLA !!!

please ???????

Well, I am FINALLY sitting down (with a glass of Chardonnay instead of Corona ) and reading your "business proposition"

You crack me up

And (ahem) nice try, but I'm afraid I love her too much to let her go. In fact, I would probably sell a kidney before I sell her.

BUT, if I ever absolutely have to rehome her, I promise to contact you first (or maybe I could will her to you? )

She was very happy to see me, though the hubby and I went and saw my mare first--who was delighted to get the attention (two people grooming on me at the same time?), since I have been spending the majority of my precious time out there with the baby. Ella is (of course) still a fuzzball yak, but I feel confident that a beautiful swan will emerge, at some point. Unless she goes through the "yearling uglies" and I have to hide her behind the barn...

I don't think her head will ever go through an "ugly stage", fortunately.

Are you currently horseless, or just teasing me? (you never know, if you charm enough people on the board, a nice baby may just drop into your lap at some point!

Default OK Ok on to the next negotiation ``` try this !

OK OK ```` tht that might not 'fly" ``

onto the next level of negotiation /deal

I really want
    ELLA ```` so

ready !!!

I will give you ONE MILLION $$$ not one red cent more for ELLA !

Please ???!!!

Have another glass of
    fine wine perhaps ````

Just toss your heart and memories away !

** please indicate when my hauler can pick her up ?!

pppllleeaassee ?!

Default additional notes `` 'horseless' ???? certainly you jest !

"horseless" ? moi ?!

OH ! you want to know if ELLA will be an only child ???

NO No !!! I have 'some' horses and ponies ````

Hell !!! we collect them .. buy breed show retire
    NEVER SELL THEM !!!!

please ???? * Ella will have friends .....
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Feb. 9, 2013 at 08:23 PM.