The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Serendipitous sidetrack...

I was driving home from work today and got off one exit early, at the last minute and on a whim to go check out a garden center that I never go to. Not sure what I was looking for there, I didn't buy anything. Garden Center is on a very busy road, a secondary highway, "feeder" road, two lanes each direction, no divider.

I left the store, empty handed, and turned around to head back to the main highway and saw a little poodle mix running around in the middle of the road!!! My heart almost stopped, traffic was heavy, as it was nearing rush hour (though, thankfully, not dark yet), and was moving at about 50 and no one was paying attention. I put on my hazards and pulled onto the shoulder, waited for a break in traffic and ran out to grab the dog, he was very sweet and let me pick him right up, I don't know what I'd have done if he'd run from me. No tags.

It's a commercial area, so there are only two houses on that stretch. I went to the closest house and rang the bell, an elderly man answered and, yes, it was his dog and he had no IDEA it was outside, let alone in the road...a plumber had left about 10 minutes before I rang his bell and had, apparently, let the little dog out.

Phew!!! So glad doggie didn't get hit and also glad I didn't end up with another dog . I was wondering what I'd do if neither of the houses claimed the dog and I had to take it home.

8 members found this post helpful.

YAY! Happy ending! I love those. Good work, Canaqua. Good work!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Well done you!! And lucky little pooch

Christmas kudos Canaqua
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Awesome! You're a good person Canaqua!

Well done indeed! I hope the owner appreciates what you did.

It sounds like whatever higher power you believe in put you there to help out that poodle and the old man.
    I have had a few of those myself and really believe that I took whatever nonsensical detour for a reason and that was to help out an animal in need. I think that is why you had this weird urge to go to that garden center at that time and then not find anything worth buying.
    Good karma to you for helping.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I am so glad that the ending was so totally happy. Thank you for being there for that little dog, and that old man, who would have been heartbroken if something had happened to the dog.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Bless you!!!

We occasionally get mail that belongs to a similar address on a different road, so then we traipse up there in the car to stick it in their mailbox. One of those days found us staring at 2 large and obviously "owned" dogs wandering on the road - not a hugely busy road, but a 2-lane country road where a 60mph car could easily not see them in time

We couldn't catch them, but I wandered down a nearby driveway, hubby did the same. "my" house produced a woman who said "nope, not mine, they belong to the house across the street, through the woods, and they come into the road all the time. It's a wonder they're still alive"

Meanwhile, back at our car, we could see through the woods and saw people back there, they saw us, they couldn't miss the dogs, but nobody came to get them. Finally the dogs bolted back home.

I'm so glad you found that poodle's owner who was relieved to have him back