The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Riverview View Post
    Went to Dover a couple days ago and sat in some saddles. I really liked how the Collegiate Alpha fit me and just felt overall.
    Dover does have a test saddle in their Closeout section - do bring some saddles home to actually try on your horse
    (note the Alpha has a more forward flap than many other Collegiates).
    The new Circuit Premiers seem to get good reviews so you might test ride those as well

Foxhunter has this CROSBY CLASSIC on fabulous deal & discounts on remaining 2011 Wintec/Bates, a Collegiate Connoiseur etc

BUT you really want to test ride saddles on your horse before committing to buying, take note of shipping fees if you decide to bring saddles in (you can usually have 2-3 saddles sent in the same box).

As your mare has been off for 2 years, I'd expect she may change alot - this cannot be emphasized enough - a saddle fitter can often predict where your mare will "go" as she muscles up, making it well worth the cost of a fitting + you get to ride in a variety of saddles that fit your mare, & fitter will be able to show you how to shim less than perfect saddles.
    You do NOT want a saddle that fits your mare perfectly at this stage, you do want a saddle with the correct tree shape & angles & a fit pad with multiple shim options that you can adjust over the next year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverview View Post
    The teknas do look and sound really nice. I dont like the idea of synthetic, but have heard that the Tekna are very leather like. I do like the price as well.
    They look very like leather, I can hardly tell the difference between my two saddles!

As your mare has been off for 2 years, I'd expect she may change alot - this cannot be emphasized enough - a saddle fitter can often predict where your mare will "go" as she muscles up, making it well worth the cost of a fitting + you get to ride in a variety of saddles that fit your mare, & fitter will be able to show you how to shim less than perfect saddles.
    You do NOT want a saddle that fits your mare perfectly at this stage, you do want a saddle with the correct tree shape & angles & a fit pad with multiple shim options that you can adjust over the next year or so.[/QUOTE]

Yep, this is what I am looking for, something that will fit her basic shape and that I can pad up/shim for now as I know she will change quite a bit.
    What is the average cost to have a saddle fitter out? I can tell basically if a saddle fits or not but not minor details. I am really starting to think of enlisting the help of a saddle fitter.
    I want my girl happy and comfortable. She is def not comfortable right now. Her back has gotten sore even from the one saddle that seems to fit her the best of the ones I have. Might not be much riding for us till I get a new saddle

Here's the truth. I'm a big fan of saddle fitters and can recommend at least five in your area that would give you wonderful advice. But on an $800 budget, they're going to be a financial stretch and will be of only limited assistance. They're not going to come to the tack store with you and help you pick out saddles, so you'd essentially be paying a $65 call fee + whatever the consult fee is on top of that for some advice about which models to keep your eye out for--and then you'd be calling them back again at $65+ to potentially adjust the saddle or look at padding.

That second appointment, IMHO, is very worth it. The first appointment is a waste of money. If you live in southern Maryland, you're in driving distance of half a dozen wonderful tack shops full of possible saddles.

But without seeing the horse's back, I wouldn't dare to make a recommendation. You've gotten some good leads here on saddles that might work for a curvy-backed horse, like the Ainsleys, Stubbens, old-style Wintec Pro Jump, etc. but we can't really make a better recc without knowing about the horse's back in more specific terms.

If you have pictures of the horse's back, please post them. You'll get MUCH better advice.

I did take some pics to post yesterday but they were dark and pretty much useless. will take more tomorrow!

Still working on those pics but I did find a used Ainsley pro national on ebay, bid and won. The price seemed good and it looks well cared for and in good shape. It is a 17.5 but if it is a little small for me my sister who is also looking might want it. (she has a high withered tb)
    Also planning a trip to a local shop to try saddles.

You may be in luck for your own fit. I think the Pro National runs a bit large if my recollection is correct.

Pretty excited! My saddle came in yesterday and I couldnt wait to try it. It seems to fit my mare pretty well. going to have to pad it up a bit for now but hoping mare's topline will fill back out with groceries and work. The leather is better than I expected, nice and grippy. My Ainsley dressage saddle the leather is good quality but very smooth and slippery. My mare seemed quite comfortable in it, either that or she was just in a super good mood. I got to take a couple small jumps in it and felt very secure, even when mare got a lil frisky and wanted to hop and scoot.a bit. The seat looked huge when I pulled it out of the box, which is fine with me as I was looking for an 18" and this is a 17.5. Seems to fit well, or comfortably anyways. Cant wait to ride in it today!!