The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! The trainer where my horse is has had me on a couple of his horses - one who is easy to sit to work on fixing position, and one who is a big mover who stops if you screw up your position. The instant feedback has helped me work on loosening up where I get too tense, and the big mover has worked my abs to help... I still need more work, so will look into options! Funny enough, the big mover is still far easier to sit than my horse, even though she's a bigger mover - because of how she moves through her back and the suspension phase.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Default A second vote for medicine balls

The medicine balls don't even have to be a true part of the work out. You can get one to use when you're sitting at your desk at work and it'll help with your stabilization (transverse ab). You can work up to being more and more balanced like sitting on it without your feet on the floor or even just closing your eyes while balancing creates an even bigger challenge. In addition to strengthening it can help get hips unlocked.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm interested in trying some of these suggestions out, too. Feb. 1 I'll be leasing a Friesian and his push is SO big in the trot it feels like I'm getting thrown out of the tack. I've already had to shorten my stirrups to stay with the motion!

He's a Fourth Level schoolmaster, but I'm aiming for Training and First. However, he could help me get my Bronze medal, which I never thought I would be able to *think* about, so I need to start preparing for that sitting trot soon!

Update: My current alternative to the suggestions here appears to be an hour and a half of riding with over an hour of that spent at sitting trot... Both on a lesson horse and my horse.

Good golly do my abs and hip flexors hurt today!

Bigbayhano

I rode one last year and he WAS my core workout! lol
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    Bigbayhano

I rode one last year and he WAS my core workout! lol
    He will be my core workout, too! But I still can't get my @$$ into the saddle to sit the trot, hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    He will be my core workout, too! But I still can't get my @$$ into the saddle to sit the trot, hahaha!
    I was physically incapable of doing exactly what I wanted and have really struggled with this. I have a lot of back injuries which both lessen range of motion and make my subconscious tighten up. Despite all the various ways of being told to flatten my back, curl my tailbone under, knit my ribs, push my belly back, etc., what finally worked was being told to make myself shorter. My previous eq/hunter position firmly ingrained shoulders up and back, and it was not a conscious thing. Well, guess that holding the shoulders unnaturally up and back does? It increases tension. Feeling as if I was slouching, making my back longer and front shorter, all allowed me to finally sit the way I had been trying and unable... and like a snap of the fingers, made sitting the trot easy. Other than the muscle strength needed, at least...

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    I was physically incapable of doing exactly what I wanted and have really struggled with this. I have a lot of back injuries which both lessen range of motion and make my subconscious tighten up. Despite all the various ways of being told to flatten my back, curl my tailbone under, knit my ribs, push my belly back, etc., what finally worked was being told to make myself shorter. My previous eq/hunter position firmly ingrained shoulders up and back, and it was not a conscious thing. Well, guess that holding the shoulders unnaturally up and back does? It increases tension. Feeling as if I was slouching, making my back longer and front shorter, all allowed me to finally sit the way I had been trying and unable... and like a snap of the fingers, made sitting the trot easy. Other than the muscle strength needed, at least...
    I read your post on Facebook about becoming shorter! I too come from a H/J background and it's pretty darn amazing what comes back at you--my "sticks of wood" arms are recently rearing their ugly head. It's from tension; I ride right after work and the past couple weeks have been pretty stressful. The tension gets held in my shoulders and I lock up, the shoulders eat my neck, and my elbows lose their joints. I've been trying to be really conscious about it but sometimes, I feel like that is just increasing my tension because it won't release!

It will be interesting to see if that trick will help in the canter, sometimes I feel like my butt is sticking out behind me when trying to sit deep.

2 members found this post helpful.

I found anything that required balance worked the core. I like those wiggle boards the kids ride on. Also running helped me a lot. And riding!

Another vote for P90X, I love it and can really feel the core strength improving. I love that its a mix of activities so you work everything and keep things in balance.

I use a Danskin weighted hula-hoop and can hula left or right. It took a little practice! I also have a series of core exercises that my chiropractor suggested. Excellent for activating hip flexors, psoas and abs.

Friesians are the ULTIMATE core workout! Trampolines with hair!

BBHMare

No lies I clamped with my frigging calves even... It was pathetic LOL
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

I have to say Success in the Saddle for core strength. It's only 20 minutes...but oh boy, she works you like a b#%&* for those 20 minutes!

You guys are a riot! I got a core workout tonight, for sure—when I took a walk break after completing some canter work, and tried to relax…I knew where my abs were!! Breathing in and out through the tummy was rough!

But I'm noticing my strength is really improving; normally during cool down, my thighs are flopping around. Not so tonight! I was able to keep them still just by engaging them a little bit. It is so amazing when you realize things like that.

I will probably be able to break coconuts with my thighs after a few weeks of riding him 4x a week!!

Another vote for p90x! I have a similar problem in that I arch my back and lean forward (I rode hunters for a few years) and although Ive done pilates and run 6x a wk for the past few years, I've already noticed that I'm sitting up better w/ the p90x (and I'm only on my 2nd wk! ) Also, if you do it before you ride, I think it helps more than when I do it after (work out in the morning and ride in the evening. . .)

All sorts of yoga poses, especially arm balance and plank poses, will strengthen the core and are great overall toning exercises.

This one is my current favorite - Dolphin Plank. It looks innocent but is surprisingly difficult:

http://www.fitsugar.com/Yoga-Pose-We...-Plank-3285758

I like the leg lifts for the lower abdomen.

I have the same problem with building tension in my shoulders, and I also have arthritis and a kink in my thoracic spine along with weak upper abdominals, so I am really working on this. Someone actually told me a couple of days ago that I had a "beautiful seat" and although I was grateful for the compliment, I am in complete disagreement.

Regarding the slouch, it's interesting to compare Edward Gal and Matthias Rath. If you watch Edward, you will notice he rides with his shoulders rounded forward:

Edward 1

Edward 2

Compare this to Matthias, who tends to ride with shoulders back and an arched back:

Matthias 1

Matthias 2

Thanks for the continued suggestions, everyone!

And isn't this interesting? I think of EG as have a beautiful position and just being such a stunning rider, but had never taken the chance to really look at what he's doing with his upper body until I saw a recently posted video. He's no actual slouch in his position, but compared to an eq rider his shoulders are definitely rounded forward more. I don't think I ever would have noticed without the change I needed in my position being pointed out to me!

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    All sorts of yoga poses, especially arm balance and plank poses, will strengthen the core and are great overall toning exercises.

This one is my current favorite - Dolphin Plank. It looks innocent but is surprisingly difficult:

http://www.fitsugar.com/Yoga-Pose-We...-Plank-3285758

I like the leg lifts for the lower abdomen.

I have the same problem with building tension in my shoulders, and I also have arthritis and a kink in my thoracic spine along with weak upper abdominals, so I am really working on this. Someone actually told me a couple of days ago that I had a "beautiful seat" and although I was grateful for the compliment, I am in complete disagreement.

Regarding the slouch, it's interesting to compare Edward Gal and Matthias Rath. If you watch Edward, you will notice he rides with his shoulders rounded forward:

Edward 1

Edward 2

Compare this to Matthias, who tends to ride with shoulders back and an arched back:

Matthias 1

Matthias 2