The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exercises/programs for core strength

What do you do for core strength?

I am coming back from a bad back sprain and this weekend my horse made it clear that I do not have the core strength I need to get him past some issues, so he's going into full training for two months. I'll be riding the Friesian cross while he's gone, but that won't be enough to get my core ready for the big guy's gaits by any means. I will be taking some lessons on my horse as part of the training, but mostly won't be on him.

I will be working with the trainer in the gym to come up with a program at the start of the year (work gym and we have holiday shutdown so I can't start sooner), but so far basically anything he's given me has not worked my abs enough to be any kind of challenge compared to my horse.

So I'm looking for programs - Insanity, P90X, anything like that which is hard core butt-kicking work and will actually help me be prepared for a very mobile back. It can't be internet video based because we have miserable internet service, but I don't mind paying for a DVD program at all.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I bought a pilates reformer for $299 (refurbished) and use it for core exercises. So basically for the price of 5 private pilates classes I can do whatever I need to at home. Have you considered a reformer?

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    I bought a pilates reformer for $299 (refurbished) and use it for core exercises. So basically for the price of 5 private pilates classes I can do whatever I need to at home. Have you considered a reformer?
    I don't even know what it is! I'll look into it, thanks. I'm willing to consider just about anything. Between the work gym and an LA Fitness membership I have access to a lot of machines and quite a few classes, but that may give me options their equipment doesn't have... or ideas of things to do with the equipment they do have. Thank you!

Read the reviews on Amazon for Janice Dulak’s Pilates for dressage DVD. I just took the clinic (wrote a review in COTH a few weeks ago) I follow the DVD exercises every weekend in full and once a day I do at least 2 of the basic exercises to limber up in the mornings.- really helps me on a daily basis and in my riding !!

Get a roman chair and an Ab roller. Seriously.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by belgianWBLuver View Post
    Read the reviews on Amazon for Janice Dulak’s Pilates for dressage DVD. I just took the clinic (wrote a review in COTH a few weeks ago) I follow the DVD exercises every weekend in full and once a day I do at least 2 of the basic exercises to limber up in the mornings.- really helps me on a daily basis and in my riding !!
    Thanks for your feedback! There are multiple "for riders" products, and knowing which ones actually help folks helps me.

I don't know if I should specify body type and if that would help. I tend toward the "duck butt" seat by default, and for me it takes a lot of lower and upper ab strength to get my hip angles open enough to move with my horse and keep myself from leaning forward, as well as to allow my back and hip joints to move with him. I feel as if the muscles I have to strengthen are different from what my friends who tend toward too loose in their torsos have the opposite problem, and don't have to work so hard to get their seat bones pointing the correct directions but have more trouble learning not to grip with their legs.

Anything involving medicine balls is really hard core.

Your horse must be awesome!
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

1 members found this post helpful.

Insanity, P90x or 20 miles of cycling per day on high resistance. Go big or go home.

Sucess in the saddle. Its a video workout system designed for riders to work your core. it was done my a dressage judge and is very affordable without a big investment. it only takes 20 minutes a day unless you want to do two days workouts together. I highly recomend it

Cheap stretchy band and a pilates dvd for 10 bucks and its KILLING me lol

I vote pilates for sure and if you want resistance dont spend too much!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    Get a roman chair and an Ab roller. Seriously.
    What is a roman chair?
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Anything involving medicine balls is really hard core.

Your horse must be awesome!
    I think so! But he has taught me - it's not necessarily how much air time or ground cover that gets you.... As he develops more air time his trot becomes far easier, but he's super short coupled and his trot essentially adds a rotational aspect to his rib cage every stride. (Not exactly the word I mean, but I can't come up with a better one.) I've ridden horses with much larger trots who were far easier to sit, and it doesn't have to do with him being on the bit/round, but he has another gear in lifting his front end he can't quite hold yet. I suspect my filly will have larger gaits which are easier to sit based upon riding her full sister with similar movement/build. I do absolutely adore his canter more than any other horse I've ever ridden, though.

Quote Originally Posted by eventingcpa View Post
    Sucess in the saddle. Its a video workout system designed for riders to work your core. it was done my a dressage judge and is very affordable without a big investment. it only takes 20 minutes a day unless you want to do two days workouts together. I highly recomend it
    Sounds like an interesting one.

Lots of other suggestions here - thanks everyone!

Honestly, P90X is a perfect way to go. Everything in it will help your core - your ENTIRE core, hips to boobs, front, back, sides, all around.

It will help your hip flexors through the legs workout and the yoga.

It will help your posture not only through the core-specific workouts (including yoga) but by strengthening your entire back AND shoulders AND chest.

Following all the stretching routines will help your hamstrings, which will help your lower back which will help your posture.

The cardio days will help your stamina.

There is truly nothing about riding that P90X won't help.

Is P90X a video? Where do you get it? I had a really bad accident last year and have come back from it to a degree, but my strength and energy level are seriously lacking and core strength is an issue. Thanks!
    PennyG

P90X is a 12-dvd set of videos, split into 2 phases, and includes eating schedules and recommendations, as well as 3 different programs by which to do the series depending on whether you want more or less muscle, more or less cardio. One of the best parts about it is you can start as lightly as you need to, and really crank it up a great deal depending on how much weight you use (or don't), and how hard you push the cardio work. It's definitely not something that makes you stagnate at some point.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...ellers/p90x.do

Mucking stalls!!

Check into Cross fit.....very intense but quick work outs. www.crossfit.com
    I think is one of the main websites.

A hula hoop - seriously! You can get weighted ones but I'm just working my Wham-O from Toys R Us.

1 members found this post helpful.

Find a Lotte Berk style class in your area. These exercises were designed by Ms. Berk (a dancer) after a car accident that injured her back. Pure Barre seems to be one of the more popular franchises, however, if you are looking for a DVD, then the original Callanetics Ten Years Younger is the way to go (Callan was a disciple of Lotte). You can find them for cheap online, and if you do them several days per week you will see and feel dramatic results.

Just speaking from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by eventingcpa View Post
    Let me second the vote for Success in the Saddle. It's a great workout , short and easy to follow, but not that easy to do, and you can ramp up the intensity with hand weights. Needs no special equipment.
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com