The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fabriano, Goodtimes etc.

I'm looking for a stallion that is very prepotent in producing an easy going AA mind, correct hind limb conformation with an excellent canter. Two that come to mind are Goodtimes and Fabriano. Is one better than the other for producing this and if so, how? Someone suggested the stallions Chico's Boy, Cassini and Negro but I am still researching them.

Are there any other stallions that are truly reliable with passing on these qualities?
    Last edited by kirdantal; Dec. 17, 2012 at 03:04 PM.

Widmark, and Landkonig.

Second Landkoenig. Every single one I've seen by him is a true AA horse, laid back and friendly. He does produce quite a bit of size, though.

I have heard Negro is a bit on the spicy side, and he is by Ferro, who is known to produce hot. I would not breed to him with the goal of an easy foal.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I love Landkoenig and would breed to him except my mare has Landgraf close up on her dam's side. I don't want to double up on it. I like Contendro but am not sure if the Contender line is an ideal choice for putting on correct hind leg conformation and excellent canters.

Edited to add: Thanks for the heads up about Negro

Are you breeding for a jumper? I wonder if Caracci might be suitable...

I'm breeding for jumping ability but I also want to keep the good gaits.

How about the stallion Idocus? Does he have many offspring competing and is he known to pass on what I'm looking for?

You might want to check out Fabuleux at Bridlewood Farms. http://bridlewoodhanoverians.com/stallions.php
    He is known for his "10"canter and a stellar temperament. Barb also has Dacaprio and she is great to work with. If you contact her she can tell you which of her stallions would best suit your mare. Good luck!
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

Contango. A well-established dressage sire and incredibly underused as a jumper sire. Has offspring at the top levels in both. Jumpers are known to be good amateur horses that love to go to the jumps. I am lucky enough to get to ride a Contango x Voltaire gelding with OUTRAGEOUS talent but has been very straight forward and easy to work with.

I was just talking to a friend about Goodtimes yesterday. Although I have no first hand experience with his get my friend commented how much he has liked every Goodtimes offspring he's seen. Very nice jumpers but can move and have a good brain.
    Nani Lio Farm, LLC
    www.naniliofarm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. Keep in mind that both Fabriano and Goodtimes are not known for passing on height.

I would also strongly suggest you look at Fabuleux, he would give you everything you say you are looking for, and it's not talked about on their site as much as his temperament and movement, but the ones I've seen including the one I bred had wonderful jumping technique, and were very suitable as hunters, with large gaits.

I've loved the Fabriano's we've had. Here's a friend's 2012 model. Ours were medium size but I wouldn't necessarily say Fabriano makes them small as I've come across quite a couple in the 1,75+ league as well Friend's filly is only 10d old there. Sweet as a pie. Keeper filly.

http://youtu.be/dO1bE8E-KCM

1 members found this post helpful.

A friend of mine is an adult am who bred her mare to Fabriano. Mare took first time with frozen. Her horse is lovely, but best of all he is an uncomplicated sweet horse. He has nice enough gaits for showing, but best of all he is easy for her to deal with either going to shows or out on the trails. He has a big, nice scopey canter-- better than the dam. He is a dressage horse, but I don't doubt that he could jump competently. The dam was not bred for jumping.