The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Santa Anita's 71-day winter race meet to be aired on TVG

It will also be aired on HRTV

With 45-million households for TVG vs. 15-million for HRTV it is exceedingly logical as a benefit. When announced back in October:

The announcement met with strong approval from CHRB chairman Keith Brackpool, who has long been critical of Santa Anita's television distribution over HRTV, which is owned by The Stronach Group. DISH Network carries HRTV, but the largest satellite distribution service, DIRECTV, does not, nor do many of the major cable television carriers.

TVG, which is also the nation's largest advance deposit wagering provider, is on DIRECTV and most cable carriers.

"This is transformational, I believe, in actually allowing the majority of people to know that Santa Anita is racing," Brackpool said.
    The first day of the new meet is Dec 26th - Boxing Day - and a key race will be the return of My Miss Aurelia. She was last seen in the BC Ladies Classic with her first lost handed to her by Royal Delta.

The $300,000 La Brea Stakes for 3-year-old fillies at Santa Anita on Dec. 26.

Trained by Steve Asmussen, My Miss Aurelia has won 6 of 7 starts and $2,386,000, all for owners George Bolton and Stonestreet Stable.

Since the Breeders’ Cup, My Miss Aurelia has had three workouts at Santa Anita, including five furlongs in 59 seconds Wednesday, the fastest of 31 recorded works at the distance.

“She came out of the work great,” trainer Steve Asmussen said Thursday.

The La Brea, run over seven furlongs, is part of the opening-day program of the Santa Anita winter-spring meeting.

“That’s the race we’ve been pointing for,” Bolton said. “I think she’s coming into it in good shape.”

I have Time Warner Cable. There's no TVG offered on it and I'm not sure if I can get HRTV or not. I'd sure like to watch SA on opening day...

Quote Originally Posted by CharingHounds View Post
    I have Time Warner Cable. There's no TVG offered on it and I'm not sure if I can get HRTV or not. I'd sure like to watch SA on opening day...
    SA isn't as friendly with free streaming like Keeneland. HRTV does offer - for a subscription charge ($9.99/mo) video streaming on-line of what they are broadcasting. The preferred waging service of the Magna tracks - Xpressbet - also has on-line streaming and replays with enrollment.

1 members found this post helpful.

Once I figured it out, I really like twinspires for their free streaming video, and I've never even deposited money in my account. She will be a bit of a long shot but I will be wildly rooting for nechez dawn in the la brea

For some reason TVG has a much better picture for me (Dish) than HRTV, so I prefer it. Having said that I find myself watching HRTV more just because of their pedigree coverage in post parades. I sent an email to Rich Perloff (sp?) on TVG bitching about this, and he told me to call the station with my complaint (rather than email). Haven't done that yet. It really is a big help in handicapping particularly 2yr olds, and turf horses. Ah, but I digress
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by CharingHounds View Post
    TVG is channel 270 on Time Warner. Its a slightly different subscription. Call and ask.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'll post this sad news here ... (LA Times) Jack Klugman dies at 90; star of TV's 'The Odd Couple,' 'Quincy' - although the Paulick Report does a far better job of illustrating the actor's love and passion for hor racing.

In 1980, Jaklin Klugman – a gray son of Orbit Ruler the actor bred and owned in partnership – finished third in the Kentucky Derby, beaten two lengths by the filly Genuine Risk. Afterwards, according to an ESPN.com story, a radio interviewer asked Klugman what he thought of the most exciting two minutes in sports.

“'That,” Klugman said, “was the most exciting two minutes of my life.”
    Klugman continued to own a small stable of runners until the time of his death. Two years ago, he visited the Santa Anita winner’s circle after the Unusual Heat filly Pretty Unusual won the G2 El Encino Stakes. Klugman was part-owner, with breeder Madeline Auerbach and trainer Barry Abrams.
    I'm almost positive the jockey of Pretty Unusual was none other than Chantal Sutherland. Klugman - the horse - accomplished far more than the bloodlines ever would've predicted and for that he added to the great landscape of racing and gave hope to other future owners who hoped to find gold.

Previously I recall that Jack had said that a great thrill came from being in the same stabling barn as the great John Henry at Santa Anita. His remark was that he was sincerely a mean but damn fine runner who was impressive in his efforts.

As a kid growing up Quincy M.D. was today's version of the C.S.I. franchise with medical science with a mix of Law & Order with a moral reflection on what in the world in going on (badly) around us. Medical mysteries with a pinch of Cloumbo-esq 'just one more question' tossed in to reveal the real culprit. Great stuff!

As someone quipped - I do hope for Jack's sake there are race tracks in Heaven. RIP

Enjoy Boxing Day racing in So. Cal and elsewhere everyone. I am currently enjoying this Christmas down in Barbados and will be at the Garrison Savannah Race Course - just a few miles up the road from me - for Boxing Day! By the way if anyone ever whined about not getting enough tip info for races try this as my only source of 'inside info' for tomorrow Further what you get for entry info is saddle #, name, "rating", age, weight, trainer, and total earnings in Barbados dollars (about 2 for ever 1 USD$).

The key race will be the Diamonds International/Crown of Light Stakes & Trophy Challenge, for West Indian bred two-year-olds, going 1 570 metres. Somehow - and don't ask me - I landed tickets as a VIP for Diamonds international - so I get to be in a VIP section. We'll see how this goes I'm thinking I'll place a Forecast (which is an Exacta) wager of $6 BD in the 3rd race with #815 Verizon and #900 Lord Blackadder. Yes, saddle cloths down here are three digits.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post

Enjoy Boxing Day racing in So. Cal and elsewhere everyone. I am currently enjoying this Christmas down in Barbados and will be at the Garrison Savannah Race Course - just a few miles up the road from me - for Boxing Day! By the way if anyone ever whined about not getting enough tip info for races try this as my only source of 'inside info' for tomorrow Further what you get for entry info is saddle #, name, "rating", age, weight, trainer, and total earnings in Barbados dollars (about 2 for ever 1 USD$).

The key race will be the Diamonds International/Crown of Light Stakes & Trophy Challenge, for West Indian bred two-year-olds, going 1 570 metres. Somehow - and don't ask me - I landed tickets as a VIP for Diamonds international - so I get to be in a VIP section. We'll see how this goes I'm thinking I'll place a Forecast (which is an Exacta) wager of $6 BD in the 3rd race with #815 Verizon and #900 Lord Blackadder. Yes, saddle cloths down here are three digits.
    I hate you
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I hate you
    Yes, it's miserable here, I know.

Yay! You can see live feed of Santa Anita races here:
    http://www.drf.com/events/santa-anit...ay-santa-anita

Shoot!
    Miss Aurelia AND The Lumber Guy both got beat. I didn't catch the La Brea Stake but I watched the Malibu and I knew The Lumber Guy was in trouble before they got to the 3/8 pole. So sad, he faded to 7th. Jimmy Creed did run a big race though and I have to say Unbridled Note, who ran 3rd, was absolutely gorgeous.

The Paulick Report a while ago alluded to this M.C. role for Gene Simmons ("KISS") with Santa Anita and I thought it was a joke. Yes, he did pretty well on The Apprentice when he was in charge of projects marketing tired brands but I don't know if he'll add much value. Still if Frank thinks he can boost interest at the race track, then so be it. From the DRF on opening day:

Martin Pedroza, a 30-year veteran on this circuit, punched out the 3,500th win of his career in the second race aboard Stoneside.

Minutes after that race, a moment of silence was observed for actor and horse owner Jack Klugman, who died on Monday.

Gene Simmons, a member of the rock group KISS and a friend of the Stronach family, which owns Santa Anita, was out and about greeting fans both in the morning and then at the afternoon’s races, when he presented the trophy following the Malibu. Although he has no official title, Simmons is clearly acting in an advisory capacity with the track, seeking to raise its profile in the clutter of sports marketing, and judging by the reaction of fans who wanted autographs and took pictures of Simmons, he certainly has celebrity cachet.
    The ontrack attendance of 27,273 was down 9.1 percent from the last time Santa Anita opened on a Wednesday, in 2007. Last year’s attendance, on a Monday in ideal weather, was 44,579.

The overall handle Wednesday was $13,494,676, an increase of 4.9 percent from last year’s $12,866,300.

Nice victory yesterday (12/30) by the British-bred closer Qaraaba (GB) in her first US graded start - (Grade 3-turf) Robert J. Frankel Stakes with Julien Leparoux up on the five-year-old mare. She is now lifetime 15 starts 7-2-1. Owned by Michael Tabor, et al hence the familiar colors.

Video replay of $150k 1 1/8-mi race here

Video - post race comments from Julien and trainer Simon Callaghan. Callaghan is a relatively new and young face almost exclusively training in the So. Cal circuit.

As an aside Julien's wife, now Shea Leparoux, sang the National Anthem on opening day.

Sadly not Bob's finest hour with a horse I do recall when he was hitting the board in graded stakes Santa Anita: A distressed Baffert speaks out on Tweebster.