The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Salmonella in Canadian commercial animal feed?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...eed-iteam.html

I heard about this story on the radio during my drive into work today. I was hoping to find out what sort of commercial animal feed was found to contain salmonella but the above article was all I could find when I googled it.

Do any Canadian CotHers have any idea what sort of feeds were found to contain salmonella and if any horse feeds were involved?

I usually wash my hands when I come from the barn anyway but I might be a little more diligent in the future. Never mind the possibility of horse poop to dog to family...
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I don't know anything about this specific instance, but this sort of thing happens in the US as well. There have been many documented cases of horses contracting Salmonella from contaminated commercial feed products. It's almost always going to be a risk, best thing you can do is just use common sense. Truthfully, the risk of contracting Salmonella from "human food" is about the same anyway.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...eed-iteam.html

I heard about this story on the radio during my drive into work today. I was hoping to find out what sort of commercial animal feed was found to contain salmonella but the above article was all I could find when I googled it.

Do any Canadian CotHers have any idea what sort of feeds were found to contain salmonella and if any horse feeds were involved?

I usually wash my hands when I come from the barn anyway but I might be a little more diligent in the future. Never mind the possibility of horse poop to dog to family...
    All I could find was that the salmonella was found in pig and cow commercial feeds.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for looking into that. I really wanted to know if any horse feed was involved and could not find any specifics.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.