The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Summer sores....any experts?

So this is my second summer to experience the dreaded summer sore on one of my horses. This time its my new mini gelding who came to me first of June and started to develop a sore in the right corner of his mouth (right where the bit would lie against) several weeks after he arrived. Started out by worming him with ivermectin then applying the ivermectin directly to the wound and also some cortisone cream around the edges for itching. Next I gave the product, Silverquine, a try. Again applying several times per day along with cortisone cream, desitin and SWAT to try to alleviate some of the intense itching and keep the wretched flies at bay. Finally my vet suggested a concoction of furazone ointment mixed with Dex and applied several times per day and after two weeks this is what the sore now looks like, still continuing to slather the SWAT all around. I have been treating this for well over a month now (probably closer to 6 weeks) and have wormed him 3 times since June with Ivermectin. Also he appears to be developing a lesion just inside his sheath. There is a lot of hard swelling around it and some days it appears like its healing well then others it resembles raw oozing hamburger. I'm at my wits end and my vet thinks we should wait till early Fall to surgically remove and clean things up since we are still hot, dusty and full of flies here in northern California. Its in such a terrible place to doctor, can't bandage it, medication and fly repellent either gets rubbed off or washes off when he gets a drink, etc. By now I'm surprised he doesn't run from me in horror whenever I appear with my gloves on. He's a peach though and waits patiently for his treat once I'm done, love this little guy and just want to make it all better for him. Anyone have any experience with these especially one around the mouth???

For some reason I cannot post a picture, can email it if someone can post for me.

If you go to my blog, I have chronicled my issues with summer sores and allergies with my draft cross:

www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    There are several posts, look for any that mention Tucker!

My horse has one on the bottom of her cheek. The vet said to do ivermectin once a week for three weeks. I just gave her the third dose today and have not seen any improvement in the one on the bottom of her cheek as well.

One of the vets here has her clients treat 2x/day with ivermectin, but with crushed-up cattle bosule pills instead of paste. I don't recall the dosage or how long the treatment is, but you might want to ask your vet about it. I've never seen it fail, and summer sores are a big problem here in hot, humid, buggy south Florida.

oh wow LoriT thank you so much for posting your blog, you and Tucker have been to hell and back! I'm taking notes and will share with my vet tomorrow when we consult about what to try next. I think some allergy testing may be in order and especially something to boost the immune system. I also found the note about Tucker being allergic to flax interesting. I've kept this horse on Omega Horseshine since he was supposedly on it with his former owner but now I'm wondering if that may be an issue for him as well, may need to eliminate everything and slowly add back in to watch for reactions.

Frizzle I will also discuss your suggestion about cattle bolus in place of the paste wormer, the difficult thing is that no matter what I put on its all gone within an hour so to me its not able to do the job of healing properly.

I've toyed with the idea of modifying his fly mask (which he does keep on thankfully) with frizzy strands of twine falling down over that side of his face however I'm thinking the oozy goo from the wound will then get on the shredded twine and will be as bad as wearing a raw steak around his neck attracting even more flies.

Haley if I come up with anything that seems to be working I'll pass along to you. I do wonder if all this worming with ivermectin over the years is developing a resistance to some of this stuff and that's why its not as effective as it once was?

You put the cattle bosule ivermectin in the feed, not on the wound.

And if it's not a summer sore and actually allergies, I would give spirulina a try. Great stuff for skin allergies.

Frizzle thanks for the clarification on that, wasn't sure if it was crushed and made up into a paste or ingested. Will pass that along to my vet.

I'll want to throw myself under a bus if both horses are allergic to something here, after many years of boarding I was finally able to build a small barn and turnouts at my place last year and now they are dealing with this. May make the allergy testing even more important though to try to figure out what the heck is going on.

A QH I've been working with has developed some ugly summer sores on his penis...we've been treating it with ivermectin, SWAT, and wonder dust....they've stopped growing, but don't seem to be healing. it's very frustrating!

just got off the phone with my vet after he viewed most recent picture of the mouth summer sore. He wants me to swab betadine directly on it AM & PM and also give packet of Dex each day for 4 days to try to get intense itching down. At this point we both think that the constant itching is not helping it heal either. Will continue with furazone ointment and he suggested trying some other fly repellent roll ons or perhaps a grazing muzzle to cover the area. We are getting shorter days and cooler nights finally but are a good month or so away from frosts and killing off the fly population. I am his only client in our local area who is battling this so he thinks its something about my property either in the soil or the type of flies that is bringing this on since I had it with a different horse last year as well just not quite as intense. If no better next week he will surgically debride it but doesn't want to unless absolutely necessary because it will be an even bigger open sore to contend with in the dust and flies. Forgot to ask him about an immune boosting product, can't see where it would hurt so if anyone has suggestions on one feel free to post.

I first wipe with betadine, then dab on a mix of 4-way antibiotic and anti-fungal cream (athlete's foot cream), then cover with diaper rash cream (it's heavy on the zinc oxide). Seems to work for me. Fred has a facemask, so that keeps him from rubbing the one on his cheek (which may have been a rub in the first place, then annoyed by flies), and bell boots help protect the one low on his pastern. He kept rubbing that one open.

Last year I had sores that were different and on his midline as well as behind the pastern, and I did double equimax twice (look for an old thread about neck threadworms for the timing - http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showth...eck+threadworm), and that worked as well.

If my mix wasn't working I would go to the equimax.

lorilu that sounds similar to some of the stuff that i have on hand, even my vet said the diaper rash cream is the best since it seems to stay on the longest since its not water based like many of the others. Funny you mentioned the equimax as I just picked up two tubes of that to worm them both in the fall but I will give that a try as well. Did you put it directly on the sores as well DDing with it?

Default Summer sores...what to use and what NOT to use!

I have a mare at my boarding barn that had a continuous problem with summer sores. We finally got the problem under control by keeping the horse in an extremely manure free environment (stall mucking several times a day and pasture mucking, too), deworming with Quest every 4 weeks and applying cow ivermectin directly to the summer sores. This mare is now completely healed and doing great.

Okay, here is what NOT to do: Amazing as this sounds a lady at the feed store recommended this to one of my boarders and she actually did this. I was out of town for a few days and had my boarder feeding the horses. I returned home to find that my boarder had misdiagnosed my $20K horse with a summer sore on his back (this horse has NEVER had a summer sore in his life....turns out it was a small dime sized wound caused by rolling on a root in his pasture). She (on the advice of the feed store lady) takes PINE SOL and pours it on the small sore. I come home to find that my horse now has this huge 10" x 6" oozing wound on his back accompanied by swelling on his abdomen area, temp of 102 and has gone off his feed. The boarder tells me that she thought he had a summer sore starting but now thinks he was bit by a snake or poisonous spider....never telling me about the PINE SOL that she poured on his back. I call the vet, the vet takes one look and says your horse has a 3rd degree chemical burn......I won't go on with anymore details on how I handled this situation but I will say that I am amazed that someone would recommend using a very caustic floor cleaner on a horse's flesh, I am amazed that someone would actually put this stuff on a horses flesh and I am amazed that I trusted her to help care for my horses. Please, please DO NOT USE PINE SOL TO "CURE" SUMMER SORES and for all the people wondering if even diluted PINE SOL makes a good fly spray the answer is NO!