The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Usually after being given free access to horse manure dogs initially gorge on it, and then slow down and become more selective.
    yeah- the only people I know whose dogs CONTINUE to gorge on the stuff are the people who try very hard to get the dogs to stop eating it. Gives it value or something. If you let them eat their fill, they start to ignore most of it and only nibble at the occasional pile. This goes for rabbit and deer poop too- that is everywhere, and most dogs quickly realize it and only nibble here and there, except for the one person I know who expends vast amounts of energy trying to stop her dogs from eating it, and they therefore try to gobble it whenever they find it, hoping to get some down before she notices and freaks out and stops them.
    Frankly, I'd rather they eat it than roll in it. Mine like to roll in fox poop, which is stinky beyond belief.

1 members found this post helpful.

Our labs are awful about it - its like an obsession! I am not in the go ahead and let them group however. The dogs aren't allowed in the stalls or pastures and we clean stall directly into the manure spreader but they will find a random ball now and then to which they get an instant drop it command.

Even though my vet says its loaded with vitamin B, it makes their breath reek, gives them eye watering gas, and is no fun to clean off of the oriental rugs when they decide to throw it back up!

Quote Originally Posted by KnKShowmom View Post

Even though my vet says its loaded with vitamin B, it makes their breath reek, gives them eye watering gas, and is no fun to clean off of the oriental rugs when they decide to throw it back up!
    Like the rest of you I waste my money of grain free too, which makes me shake my head and wonder about my sanity. But now that I know it's loaded with Vitamin B (as well as being such an excellent source of fiber), I feel better telling my husband that the dog is simply filling in a B deficiency. So what that he has poop breath (which means NO KISSES from me) I don't worry about it, but my husband freaks when he tries to lick my toddler in the face for this reason (ok, and that the dog also licks his own butt). He swears some little girl almost died from exactly this on the show "monsters inside me".

My old Lab didn't go to the barn often but when he did he would sit behind my gelding while he was in the cross ties and wait for him to poop. As soon as he did dog grabbed a nice warm fresh ball and gobbled it up. He was not in love with the older dried out cold balls. Just the ones fresh from the "oven"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by whitney159 View Post
    Like the rest of you I waste my money of grain free too, which makes me shake my head and wonder about my sanity. But now that I know it's loaded with Vitamin B (as well as being such an excellent source of fiber), I feel better telling my husband that the dog is simply filling in a B deficiency. So what that he has poop breath (which means NO KISSES from me) I don't worry about it, but my husband freaks when he tries to lick my toddler in the face for this reason (ok, and that the dog also licks his own butt). He swears some little girl almost died from exactly this on the show "monsters inside me".
    LOL - our female lab is on a grain free diet too - not sure the meadow muffins are supposed to be on the menu!

The one time of the day I get to crash on the couch is after dinner before we go back to the barn for night check and it never fails that Maggie will come over, lay her head on my chest, look up at me with those wonderful brown eyes and then burp - with that awful breath it kinda ruins the moment in a huge way!

Thank goodness her brother thinks the barn is full of scary horses and waits up on the hill by the house for us - one manure muncher is enough!

when our poodle pup was smallish and she first took her bites of horse poop I chased her and told (okay yelled)at her to put it down. She then tried it again later and I again scared her a bit . She goes to the barn now and into the stalls with me and for the most part will ingore the poop. If she gets near it I just say her name in a warning voice and she will turn around and walk the other way. Smart dog :0) Small kids and poopy face dog don't mix well so I'm pretty glad she changed her ways.

She also used to run into the pasture to get to the horse poop which scared me that she would get stepped or kicked. So I turned the electric fence on..zap..she ran to the front door and sat down. I have not had to turn the electric on since and she will watch me go into the pasture and just wait for me to come out or whine.

Our dog picked up a bacterial g.i. infection that the vet thought came from the barn. Vomitting. Now we give her a scoop of dogzymes powder a few times a week just in case.

http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/store/...php?prodId=197

My m.d. said the bacteria is in the air so people can get it too EVEN IF they don't eat the poop. Even if?????? LOL

Thank you for all your post, I've had a couple of good laughs here and there!

keep them coming!

Rusty (red heeler) eats it and throws it up either in my truck on the way home or on my living room carpet (which is the only carpet in the house) OR he rolls in poop (not just horse really...all poop & anything that smells dead...)
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Our dogs were nick named the apple dumpling gang for stealing frozen horse apples out of the wheel barrow while we were cleaning stalls...

My dogs have always done this. Now that the poop is frozen, they are in heaven eating their " poopsicles".
    A Fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.

Tried everything to stop our newest puppy-even the training collar but now wearing a muzzle while at barn; he can run around and I don't have to worry about him getting too much to cause gastric distress which is common for him if he eats anything other than his prescription food

My college wildlife course noted animals eat feces because it contains 30% energy - it's not just "waste". When calories are hard to come by, eating feces might mean the difference between life and death. Dogs also are able to digest a range of materials. The real danger of bacteria and toxins in feces gives any dog owner pause. It might not be harmless in all instances. And the research and theory behind it doesn't help when it's your dog and you have to live with the consequences. Rolling in manure is another favorite activity of some dogs. Sigh.

Be careful of feed thru fly control products if your dog eats manure.

LOL - only here can I amuse myself with comments from others who are part of the semi-anonymous support group of Poop Eating Dogs & the People Who Love Them!!!

We've been in & out of the small animal vet this week w/Old Folks Boxer. Tried explaining to them that he's a med puker no matter how I hide it. BUT if there was a way to med him in horse poop, chicken or duck crap, cat turds...none of those things ever make him poop and as someone already posted, it's like Canine Golden Corral on the farm!

Our little lovepot likes to fish around for the biggest frozen poop she can find in the pile, then sneak it into the truck. Talk about a smell when the floor heaters kick on halfway home. Blech.

We try to keep her away from it, because it's gross, but luckily she's never thrown it up. Hoof trimmings OTOH....

All of my GSD's have been poop hounds. In the winter they would litter my porch and deck with large chunks of frozen poop. My dear old girl Anna would often try to sneak them into the house. A visiting friend once asked in all seriousness, "Do you bring horses onto the deck?"

Sometimes Anna would get one past me. Her couch is in my computer room. I'd be plinking away at the keyboard and would suddenly be overwhelmed by the smell of fresh horse poop. It finally had melted. Grrrr...

We lost dear Anna a couple weeks ago but she has taught her subjects well.
    Even the foo-pooh dog has mastered the art of eating horse poop. I call this pic, GOT POOP?
    http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f1...e/IMG_0432.jpg

My cattle dog likes to eat poop. Cat poop, horse poop, goose poop, duck poop, she's not picky. I try my best to stop her but she still sneaks in a turd here and there, although she never gorges herself. She also likes a good poopy roll on occasion, but is learning to not do it in the winter since the water coming out of the hose is freezing cold, and that is no fun at all. I love smart dogs.

Half of my dogs' diets have always been horse poop. I don't really bother with discouraging it unless its the few days after I've dewormed the horses.

I guess I should be happy mine isn't rolling in poop *yet*!

She does, however, seem to be reading this post with me lately and has started to make a winter emergency poop fund... in my car! It hasn't been too cold here so it only started smelling today. But hey, if we ever find ourselves stranded somewhere at least Summer has her poop-treat to eat!