The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Puppy eating horse poop

I have a 6 1/2 months old cavalier king charles puppy and since she was 3 m/o I started bringing her with me to the riding center.

She is constantly eating horse poop, even if she has something else to do.

Any idea why she does this?

Because dogs love manure.

1 members found this post helpful.

First time I have a puppy do this :P

Did you know that the Navajo word for "dog" can be translated into "manure eater"? It's nothing new that dogs like horse poop, chicken poop, cat poop, each other's poop etc. All five of my dogs and every dog I've ever owned ate poop which is why I won't let any of them lick me...yuck!
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Every dog I have ever known has LOVED to eat horse poop. No idea why, but they do.

Same here, Whitney.

My Aussie puppy, 9 months old, LOVES horse poop. It's gross, but she does. My last dog ignored it, but most other dogs I've known seemed to consider manure a delicious treat.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Unless the poop has medications or a heavy worm load in it, I don't think you have any worries. My Corgi is 11 and eats various piles of poop everyday: chicken, horse, rabbit and, most delicious of all, cat! Only my Schnoodle avoids poop, he prefers hay nibbling. I figure my pack of 6 dogs helps me clean stalls every morning which cuts down on my workload. Mr. CC picks up dog poop, so he sees the results, not me!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I have ALWAYS had to TRAIN my puppies to leave the horse shit alone. Dogs love to eat manure. Sounds like you either need to spend some time at the barn with the dog on a leash and training the behavior, or leave the dog at home.

I would let her enjoy the manure. If she feels she has to hide her manure eating from you, she may eat it too quickly and vomit in the car on the way home.

3 members found this post helpful.

I was told at one time that eating manure helps a dog acquire the scent of its prey, so it wouldn't be as detectable when hunting.

This time of year my dogs enjoy their horse poopsicles. Oh, and kitty litter from the box with sprinkles. : )

Mine is a poop stealer, because she knows I'll yell at her if she eats it. So she runs in a dirty stall while I'm busy on another one, grab it, run, hide, and eat it. I have more random turd nuggets because I see her running and say DROP IT.

I only worry when I've just dewormed. But I try to discourage her from doing it. She's just sneaky.

My dogs both eat horse manure. I figure they are after the fiber or something. I don't worry about it, except that I don't let them eat manure on worming day or the first day after (they are both "white footed herding mutts", so I don't worm them with Ivermectin). Other than that, they can have at it...just don't try to lick my face after your manure feast .

Our dog LOVES horse poop, frozen poopsicles or warm and squishy! He ALSO loves horse hoof trimmings as well (and no matter how much I clean, and keep him away, he always finds one and promptly pukes it up on the carpet). He likes elk guts too but that is another story. He will MOSTLY do the "leave it" if we catch him at it but he is sneaky..good luck with your pup! My step sister's golden eats DOG poop which I thought was way, waaaaay, worse! Big fun at the dog park which he sees as a giant smorgasboard!!

Thank you all for your posts, its reassuring to know I'm not the only one dealing with this.

Mine doesn't hide from me but I do try to re-direct her if I see her gorging at a poop pile.

Oh, and she LOVES to bring the perfect little round poops to me with that lovely expression of "look what I found mom, look! Here, take it, its a present!". Yep, thank you but nooooo thank you!

ETA.: The only thing that makes me desperate about all this is I feed her a top of the line grain-free feed. And then she goes around eating grain riddled horse poop! Damn...!

The barn is an all you can eat buffet for my dogs. I stop them from doing it when I am around just because I don't want to watch it.

3 members found this post helpful.

My trainer's small spaniel mix/mutt loves the stuff -- only thing she likes better is hoof trimmings. Her other spaniel mix never touches it -- just some dogs vs others... Poop eater also chases cars...

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    ETA.: The only thing that makes me desperate about all this is I feed her a top of the line grain-free feed. And then she goes around eating grain riddled horse poop! Damn...!
    Oh yes! Me too! Spend huge amounts of money on premium grain free dog food and where do I find my dog? Yep, in the chicken pen gorging on, you guessed it, CORN!
    Just be glad your dog isn't doing what one of my dogs does. In addition to eating the manure he likes to ROLL in it. The fresher the better. There are many days that he gets himself banned from the house.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Sounds like a normal, healthy pup to me. I don't consider horse manure eating to be an issue unless someone starts barfing it up in the house or the car. Usually after being given free access to horse manure dogs initially gorge on it, and then slow down and become more selective. For example, passing up regular manure and mostly eating foal manure, which (apparently) is more of a delicacy.

I draw the line at cat feces, though. I get very upset if I see dogs raiding the cat box. Vomited up cat feces are quite repellant.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    I'm in the same boat. Except that my 2 dogs love to bring in full ears of dried corn that fell in the field. They sit there and eat it like it's the best treat in the world. *sigh* And I feed them grain-free why, exactly?

fwiw, I grew up on and have lived on a horse farm, with multiple dogs, for 30-some years now. Every single dog I have ever known has eaten horse crap. And any other kind of poop, to be honest. Dogs are just gross like that!
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

2 members found this post helpful.